Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Deity PR-2 Pocket Recorder  (Read 22144 times)

Offline grawk

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Deity PR-2 Pocket Recorder
« Reply #120 on: March 12, 2024, 08:56:29 AM »

To be fair, Church Audio products have actually been delivered and are in widespread use, unlike this vaporware from Deity. Their failure to communicate honestly is particularly galling, given that they are something more than a one-man operation.

Key difference being Deity hasn't taken anyone's money, they've just announced they're working on the product.  Gotham is the one giving bad dates.  Deity just says "Coming Soon"
4015gs/4018vlgs/kk14->mma:a d-vice/sd 552/sonosax sx-m2d2/nagra vi/lectrosonics spdr

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #121 on: March 12, 2024, 09:05:52 AM »
Still bet they beat Boeing with the 737 Max 10.  Need to make sure the SD card doesn't blow out.  I will wait patiently.

Offline Rairun

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • my recordings
« Reply #122 on: March 12, 2024, 05:26:02 PM »
They're taking a while, but the Theos Transmitter is out, and the PR-2 basically looks like a pared down version that can't actually transmit? The Theos is a bit bigger, but presumably uses the same preamps/32-bit float system (and also outputs 3V or 5V), and I think it can just record instead of transmitting. I'd rather wait and spend less money, but I'm a bit surprised no one's put the Theos through its paces in a more rigorous way as a recorder.

https://deitymic.com/products/theos-digital-wireless/
archive.org/details/@rairun

Offline detroit lightning

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #123 on: March 14, 2024, 08:53:47 AM »
Has anyone used Deity products before? I've been taping off and on for more than 20 years and have never heard of them.

That doesn't necessarily mean anything, just curious.

Offline grawk

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #124 on: March 14, 2024, 09:00:37 AM »
They started out making mics for "Content Creators", and expanded to wireless and recorders.  Not focussed on tapers at all.
4015gs/4018vlgs/kk14->mma:a d-vice/sd 552/sonosax sx-m2d2/nagra vi/lectrosonics spdr

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #125 on: March 14, 2024, 03:42:14 PM »
They started out making mics for "Content Creators", and expanded to wireless and recorders.  Not focussed on tapers at all.

No one focuses on "tapers" outside of a few small operations popular with people like us. As for major companies prioritizing location music recording, there are only a few left, even at the professional level.

Sound Devices, Zaxcom, Sonosax, Zoom,Tascam, Sony, and Roland seem to be it nowadays.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #126 on: March 14, 2024, 07:02:13 PM »
Sound Devices, Zaxcom, Sonosax, Zoom,Tascam, Sony, and Roland seem to be it nowadays.

Although not music related, I immediately thought of Aaton. Just went to their website and saw this:

We are sad to announce that the Aaton-Digital adventure ended on February 15, 2024 by a court judgment.
Three years of covid-19 followed by a long strike by cinema professionals have profoundly affected our sales. Faced with no prospects, the company was liquidated.
We thank all our users and partners for their commitment and passion during the ten years we have gone through together.

edit- some discussion here: https://old.reddit.com/r/LocationSound/comments/1awq2f3/aaton_closed/
« Last Edit: March 14, 2024, 07:04:23 PM by audBall »
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline voltronic

« Reply #127 on: March 14, 2024, 07:40:43 PM »

Although not music related, I immediately thought of Aaton. Just went to their website and saw this:

We are sad to announce that the Aaton-Digital adventure ended on February 15, 2024 by a court judgment.
Three years of covid-19 followed by a long strike by cinema professionals have profoundly affected our sales. Faced with no prospects, the company was liquidated.
We thank all our users and partners for their commitment and passion during the ten years we have gone through together.

edit- some discussion here: https://old.reddit.com/r/LocationSound/comments/1awq2f3/aaton_closed/

Yes I saw that posted on GS Remote the other day. The people who work with the Cantar machines swear by them.

Aeta stopped making the 4minx recorder awhile back, now only making interview / broadcast equipment. All Nagra recorders appear to be discontinued as well.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline grawk

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #128 on: March 15, 2024, 10:24:16 AM »
They're taking a while, but the Theos Transmitter is out, and the PR-2 basically looks like a pared down version that can't actually transmit? The Theos is a bit bigger, but presumably uses the same preamps/32-bit float system (and also outputs 3V or 5V), and I think it can just record instead of transmitting. I'd rather wait and spend less money, but I'm a bit surprised no one's put the Theos through its paces in a more rigorous way as a recorder.

https://deitymic.com/products/theos-digital-wireless/

From my reading the transmitter only has a single input so you’d be recording in mono.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #129 on: March 17, 2024, 09:24:44 PM »
From my reading the transmitter only has a single input so you’d be recording in mono.

There is a slew of devices like that - I guess you get what you pay for in terms of features and quality - I have an inexpensive Ulanzi system but have not really tested it to see what happens if I make a stereo recording using its two transmitters with or without connected external mics.  But it would be a somewhat clumsy way of doing things.  I also have a single DJI Mic 2, but being single, although it does 32 bit float, it's only mono. 

Indeed, recording "just" audio these days seems to have become a bit of a olde worlde activity.  These days, if I was asked to record an acoustic concert, and I offered the choice of audio or video with good-enough audio, I think the latter option would be popular.  I wish I had the chance to dangle a remote-controlled camera with a four channel audio system plus external mic above an orchestra - which would cost somewhat less than some of the audio-only equipment that is rusting in my cupboard.  The times they are a-changing...

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #130 on: March 18, 2024, 03:34:45 PM »
^The skill of focused visual imagination may be depreciating.  At least the general appreciation of it seems to have.  Excellent audio will conjure detailed visual imagery in the absence of visual stimuli, but the same doesn't occur in reverse.  Hard to imagine a video-only corollary to audio-only radio.  Silent era film I suppose, but even then my great-grandfather was playing fiddle with his sister on piano in the small home town film-theater.  They reportedly knew just two or three instrumental themes and cycled them over and over again depending on what was going on in the scene, same music every film.  I get that people tend to go for to "easy and obvious" over "quality" most of the time, but the thing that bothers me is how most folks gravitate to mediocre video+audio over really excellent audio on its own without the crappy video.  I'm the opposite and tend to get quickly bored with mediocre video, whereas great audio perks me right up.

Decades ago it was easy, but convincing others of this now seems a near impossible sell.  Still, a few years ago I successfully did so with a guy sitting next to me on a plane.  He was watching a rather meh cell phone video of a concert that I happened to have made a good audio recording of and unusually, had on my phone. We started talking about the concert, about music, about taping, about the video, about audio recording quality, what matters, imagination, how it all fits together.  He then skipped around watching segments of the first set of the concert, after which I suggested he listen to my audio-only recording of the second set through his same headphones.  At first he was hesitant, but I insisted I would not be offended if he got bored at any point and wanted to bail back to the video.  It was so fun to watch him settle into it, turning his head as if to look around at the concert environment he suddenly found himself immersed in, flashing a big thumbs up and a smile a the conclusion of the first tune.  He ended up listening to the entire second set straight through, seemingly loving it.  He couldn't say enough about it afterward as we deplaned and parted ways.  That felt really good, but I've no doubt he went right back to shitty videos the following flight.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline voltronic

- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Rairun

• Taperssection Regular
    • my recordings
« Reply #132 on: March 19, 2024, 04:12:51 PM »
I do care about audio quality, but I've noticed that I perceive my own audio recordings to sound better than they really are when they're synced up with video. Also, when I rip audio from an official video stream to listen to it later, it often sounds worse than I remembered.
archive.org/details/@rairun

Offline voltronic

« Reply #133 on: March 19, 2024, 09:47:14 PM »
I do care about audio quality, but I've noticed that I perceive my own audio recordings to sound better than they really are when they're synced up with video. Also, when I rip audio from an official video stream to listen to it later, it often sounds worse than I remembered.
In both of those cases, the audio has gone through lossy compression. Depending on what video editors you use, the default settings are not optimized for high quality audio.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #134 on: March 20, 2024, 10:51:09 AM »
This thread is sadly relevant to the above points:
https://gearspace.com/board/remote-possibilities-in-recording-amp-production/1424154-thinking-about-getting-out-remote-recording-altogether.html

Ugh.  25 years ago I decided to not pursue recording music as a profession.  That was difficult as it was where my heart was.  Yet other avenues ended up being rewarding in different ways, and I still love recording music on my own terms today.  Many roads, journeys, and destinations.

I notice the same, or something similar quite frequently.  Its fascinating.  There is definitely deeper perception stuff going on with this, which is more fundamental than lossy compression degradation.  The second perceptual aspect presents a constant distraction from the focusing of critical perception on the other, acts as a crutch, and sets up a sort of perceptual bait and switch in our brains.

Back in the late 80's I spent hours soldering wiring/soldering switching units on site for a home/car stereo retailer.  While doing so I'd sometimes tune an FM radio to the bottom end of the FM dial and pickup the audio from channel 6 TV.  Fascinating to listen to some of the advertisements and syndicated TV shows sans video. Even with my concentration strongly focused on another task, my awareness of auditory details, sound editing, and all kinds of interesting auditory aspects was so interestingly heightened in comparison to listening while watching TV normally with the video content present.  It was fun.  Some ads didn't work at all.  Some shows were terrible, others amazingly entertaining.  Reruns of original Star Trek worked great and were almost like a radio drama, with much better radio-suited Foley than Gilligan's Island.

[/OT discussion from Diety PR-2]
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.106 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com