Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Proud Owner of VR-4JRs  (Read 7862 times)

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
New Proud Owner of VR-4JRs
« on: May 02, 2016, 08:44:31 AM »
Back in 2005 I went to a Michael Millers house to pregame before a Springsteen solo show and he had the most mind blowing setup I had ever heard.  Conrad Johnson separates bi-amped to 4Jrs.  Fast forward to 2007 I bought a pair of VR-2s from VS directly and have had them happily in my system since then.  The past couple of years, I have been looking for 4Jrs in the used market, but either the timing didn't work out or the pair had issues.  Happy to say I found a pair yesterday that look flawless based on pics.  Cannot wait to get them in my system.  Going to be a long couple of weeks as they make it to NC from California...

System comprises of

Nottingham Interspace Jr with Benz L2 cart
Musical surroundings Phonomea ii
Arcam DV-137 CD Player
Rega DAC
Conrad Johnson PV11 Pre
Conrad Johnson MF80 Amp (lower)
Primaluna Prologue 5 Amp (upper)

Needless to say I am pretty jacked....

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
Re: New Proud Owner of VR-4JRs
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 12:09:41 PM »
selling anything of interest to help fund this?
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 12:39:47 PM »

only thing I will part with is my VR2s, but I currently have a local friend who has expressed interest...if that falls through will be making available for sale...

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 12:49:20 PM »

only thing I will part with is my VR2s, but I currently have a local friend who has expressed interest...if that falls through will be making available for sale...

they're already circling :)

congrats on the big boys
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline raymonda

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 08:23:41 PM »
Where's the shot from the sweet spot. Let's see those beauties.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 08:40:12 PM »
Where's the shot from the sweet spot. Let's see those beauties.

As soon as they get here from Cali pics will be posted!

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 09:09:49 PM »
 :drool:  At this point, the 4JRs are the only speaker I'd consider as replacements for my 2s.  Looking forward to the pics!
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 08:31:01 AM »
:drool:  At this point, the 4JRs are the only speaker I'd consider as replacements for my 2s.  Looking forward to the pics!

that is pretty much where I was at as well.  A buddy in SC has a set that he recently got the newest upgrade on them from VS, where they basically bring the entire speaker up to current standards...cost is ~$5K from what I hear, but them it is in line with their $20k offering...I wont be making that plunge anytime soon (if at all) but it is nice to have that option!

Offline thunderbolt

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Music est vita!
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2016, 05:58:46 PM »
Congrats man.  Those are some seriously bad-ass speakers.  I've always liked that approach to speaker design.

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2016, 08:58:44 PM »
yep, spent many hours in front of Carls when he had them.  Great speakers.  Esp. in smaller rooms.  Holy Compression !!!

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2016, 08:06:03 AM »
and they are in.  I was nervous with them shipping across the country but these wood crates did a great job protecting them.  Arrived without a scratch.  Simply perfect condition and sound phenomenal.  Admittedly I am a little sad letting the VR-2s go, but these are a huge step up.  Looking forward to really growing old with these as I don't see a need to change my speakers at any point now....

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2016, 09:26:54 AM »
and they are in.  I was nervous with them shipping across the country but these wood crates did a great job protecting them.  Arrived without a scratch.  Simply perfect condition and sound phenomenal.  Admittedly I am a little sad letting the VR-2s go, but these are a huge step up.  Looking forward to really growing old with these as I don't see a need to change my speakers at any point now....

I'll bring over some Keller tapes and we'll jam out...   :P

Congrats!

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2016, 09:32:00 AM »

I'll bring over some Keller tapes and we'll jam out...   :P

Congrats!

Terry

I'm sorry do I know you? :)

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2016, 10:12:03 AM »
same finish ? cool. very pretty

my vr2s get the house shaking, can't imagine what the big boys would do.
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2016, 10:22:27 AM »
same finish ? cool. very pretty

my vr2s get the house shaking, can't imagine what the big boys would do.

yeah I got real lucky on the finish.  My VR2s were African hazelwood and I loved it....these just happened to be my favorite finish as well.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2016, 10:42:20 AM »
Score! Big congrats on getting them across the country without damage and actually pumping out tunes in your room.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2016, 10:58:23 AM »
Score! Big congrats on getting them across the country without damage and actually pumping out tunes in your room.

thanks!  you have no idea how nervous I was with them being shipped.  Seeing these crates though the concern was not warranted.  Unless someone put a forklift through them they were going to get here!

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2016, 11:11:49 AM »
Welcome to the club!  I love my 4jr's!
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2016, 11:15:38 AM »

thanks!  you have no idea how nervous I was with them being shipped.  Seeing these crates though the concern was not warranted.  Unless someone put a forklift through them they were going to get here!

Listening party? :laugh:
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2016, 11:33:32 AM »
Yeah, I had a pair of B&W 802 shipped to FL from CT when I bought a second set of them, second hand.  They arrived cosmetically fine, double boxed and padded, but one box had obvious drop or other impact damage and the crossover and one of the woofers in that speaker was damaged.  Fortunately the shipping company paid for the still available replacement parts and all was good after the repair.

Enjoy revisiting your favorite recordings!
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2016, 06:52:09 AM »

Congratulations!
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2016, 12:10:26 PM »
Hardly counts, but I love my old v202 speakers.  ;D
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2016, 05:37:01 PM »
thanks guys!  Another point of note, when I was trying to get them dialed in I noticed one of the rear firing tweeters wasn't working.  Sent Albert an email, and he gave me troubleshooting instructions and turned out just to be a loose connection.  I will never have another pair of speakers given how great these sound and how great Albert has been to work with (he helped me with my VR-2 purchase years ago as well). 

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2016, 09:31:50 AM »
thanks guys!  Another point of note, when I was trying to get them dialed in I noticed one of the rear firing tweeters wasn't working.  Sent Albert an email, and he gave me troubleshooting instructions and turned out just to be a loose connection.  I will never have another pair of speakers given how great these sound and how great Albert has been to work with (he helped me with my VR-2 purchase years ago as well).

until you find some killer deal on VR7s or something :)

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2016, 09:57:08 AM »
actually I would probably go to the MK4 upgrade first...from albert:

------------------

Hello Fellow VR-4JR owners,

As you know, I have a very fond place in my heart for the VR-4 platform.  The first speaker my crew and I designed at Cal Tech was the Vortex Screen, and we spent literally thousands of hours in the lab and computer basement to come up with the original design.  We did this as a hobby, as we all had jobs in aerospace or engineering consulting.  After several professional mastering engineers bought them, including Robert Harley, we decided to build them in earnest.  As the "wide screen" appearance of the Vortex system seemed to hamper wives enthusiasm for the cosmetic appearance, we turned the speaker sideways (to make it look thinner) and renamed it the VR-4, for Virtual Reality in four dimensions: amplitude, phase, time, and space.  Our journey began in 1976 with that first model we built as a student project, but the VR-4 was later named "One Of The Best Twenty-Five Speakers Of All Time" by Audio Review magazine two years ago.  What an interesting journey it has been!

ORIGINATION OF VR-4JR
Over the years, the large size of the original VR-4 became a hindrance to wide acceptance, so we built a smaller version, known as the VR-4JR (euphemistically called "Just Right" instead of "Junior)."  For many reasons, this became one of the most popular speakers in high end audio, with thousands of pairs sold over a period of five years.  The cabinets were built in a very cost effective manner in China, while Vifa of Denmark opened up a Chinese assembly plant where the Danish parts were shipped for final assembly.  We were one of Vifa-China's first high-volume customers and I had designed all of the drivers in conjunction with the Danish engineers.  Vifa/Scanspeak also designed the Dual Ring tweeter for our VR-4SR platform, so between SEAS of Norway (aluminum woofer cones), Vifa-China (doped paper pulp) and Vifa-Denmark (all engineering and lab origination), along with Scanspeak-Denmark and Audax-France (Aerogel midrange cones), we had been using premium drivers intermixed between the JR and SR platforms.

VR-4JR Mk2
Two years after the introduction of the JR model in 2003, the Mk2 came out with stiffened woofer cones coated with aluminum and a re-tuned labyrinth to permit tighter bass and increase midrange clarity.  After another year of production, the Chinese cabinet shop had taken on several more clients and became seriously back-ordered, which affected our production in a serious way.   A year later, the Chinese factory actually copied some of our technology and so after the clones appeared, we stopped production while we attempted to sort out the legal and financial issues.

VR-4JRMk3
While it appeared that we would not be offering a new version of the JR model that had any ties to China, we continued to design and test upgrades.  The Mk3 was an upgrade for my own personal pair of VR-4JR Mk2's and consisted of custom-designed Scanspeak- Denmark drivers.  The Mk3 was a really good sounding design, getting another 25-40% more transparency and clarity from the JR platform.   These were never built in mass production, as the cost of building these cabinets was prohibitive in the US.  Most of the models sold were done as upgrades for existing JR owners and the total cost of the upgrade was practically the raw cost of the parts and labor.  Our accountant told me that I was "giving the upgrades away" to our existing customer base, but that is how I decided to keep our customers happy and not switch brands.  It worked and we eventually received hundreds of orders for the Mk3 upgrade.  Alas, two of the key drivers for the Mk3 upgrade became discontinued since Scanspeak had been working on the development of better cone materials and lower distortion "motors" (voice coil, pole piece, top plate, and magnet).  After a few months of testing and listening, we realized that the new drivers were not only better, they were in a different league than the originals. 

Mk4 DRIVERS
The pulp/plastic/aluminum oxide composite coatings of the Mk2 and Mk3 drivers were replaced with pure aluminum-coned woofers, woven carbon fiber midranges, and Dual Ring Radiator treble drivers.  The Mk4 drivers have approximately 3 times less distortion and the crossover design has been upgraded to a far higher level to take advantage of the latest driver technology.  As with the Mk3 upgrade, the Mk4 upgrade also features our Triple Wall noise reducing cabinet lining, along with Delphi Aerospace Single Crystal Wire called Master-Built.  This is the same wiring as used inside our VR-55 and higher models.  I know that wire is not a super popular item with some audiophiles, as it is often difficult to comprehend "why" the price of wire can get ridiculous.  This Master-Built cabling is easy for anyone to hear; even non-audiophiles can hear a big difference, so we've been using it throughout our product line.  In fact, we use Master-Built for every demo we conduct and that is one of our secrets to winning the "Best Of Show" awards that are now becoming routine.

VR-4JRMk4
About a year ago, I decided to further upgrade my JR Mk3's to a higher level, which is now called the Mk4.  We weren't sure that we could find a cabinet maker in the US that would enable us to keep the price as low as originally envisioned, but on-going discussions with cabinet factories in Eastern Europe seem promising and naturally, to ensure that this combination of ingredients would be popular before sinking $250,000 into the new project, we wanted to offer 100 sets of upgrades to our existing customer base for beta testing. 

One of the first beta testers on this forum has prompted me to publish this information, declaring that this model has far exceeded his expectations.  We at VSA can confirm his findings, as on a side-by-side comparison with a very expensive two piece stacking speaker system, the VR-4JR Mk4 has proven itself to many visitors to our Design Studio.  At this point, only a handful of audiophiles have had a chance to experience the new model at our Studio, but the acceptance has been overwhelming.  To us, it's not as much of a surprise, as we have been working with the VR-4SR components prior to the JR's release back in 2003.

PRICING
I always questioned the motto of one of my first engineering professors, who spoke of "there's no free lunch" on a project that we all had worked on.  Naturally, over the years, I came to learn that it's easy to design something with no budgetary concerns, but when price is factored in, you can't quite stay in business selling parts and labor for less than the raw cost of these parts.  If you're wondering if this is leading up to an expensive price tag, you're right on the money. (Couldn't resist that one).  Based on the cost of the parts and labor, the Mk4 upgrade should be priced in the neighborhood of $5,000/pr.  After all, this model will replace the now-discontinued VR-4SR platform, which last sold for $16,000/pr.

Please contact us if you have the slightest interest in this upgrade, as we can lower the cost if at least 20 customers purchase the upgrade at one time, since a quantity purchase of the drivers will reduce our costs.  For more information about the process, please call us at our Design Studio at (951) 682-0706.

Thanks for taking the time to learn about this new upgrade; I do tend to be quite wordy but I wanted to answer the many questions that have been sent to our website and Audio Circle inboxes about this new project.  Be watching for the new VR-4 Mk4 release (with an all-new cabinet design) in late Fall of this year if you are interested and don't own a pair of the JR's you'll need for the upgrade.

Happy Listening,

AVS

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2016, 12:49:21 AM »
DAMN! Enough said! +T Nick! Those are my DREAM speakers!!! Wish I had a "bubble" in my listening room ;D

Amazing that VSA started from a $5k loan, and is now a multi-million dollar company ;D
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 12:52:35 AM by F.O.Bean »
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.098 seconds with 54 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com