Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: [PT 2] M-Audio MicroTrack 2496 - *actual* real-life experiences thread  (Read 90312 times)

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
Re: [PT 2] M-Audio MicroTrack 2496 - *actual* real-life experiences thread
« Reply #270 on: October 31, 2005, 10:36:58 AM »
also using the JB to power the MT,

no way..  you uses a jukebox to power the microtracker?    :P

he's talking about ToddR's "juice box", a 5v regulated power supply.  not a jukebox.  at least, that's what I think he's talking about.

Yeah eric knows I am talking about the juicebox, he is just a wisenarsen  8)
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

Offline coloartist

• Trade Count: (13)
  • MGoldey -"you can shove those mics up your ass
« Reply #271 on: October 31, 2005, 11:34:14 AM »
I was using the Juicebox also. Power was definately not my problem.

Freezing up at 1:45 at 24/48 was my problem, and getting a corrupted file.

It only did this one out of two times.

The other problem was related to the hold button, I believe.
mk4>Kwon/din a/din>kc5>cmc6>kindkables XLR>788T
mk22>Kwon/NOS>kc5>cmc6>kindkablesXLR>788t                                                     
Canon XH-A1 Sony AX100                       
Samsung Backlit LED 55">Pioneer Elite SC-27>Snell Acoustics E.5  Series

Offline dionysis667

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #272 on: October 31, 2005, 11:58:31 AM »
Hey crazy felas  :D

New person.

Anyone tested the MT with a Sony ECM-DS70P ?
Opinions???

Sometimes i want to record situations in which i dont want people (or..things)  to notice (no ,i'm not a spy-but again who knows  ::) )
i want the best i can get in sound (to where my pocket ends that is) from nature,urban land scapes and live bands (Christ ,how unique of me  :P) ,sooo......

.....any other recommendations for condensers or dynamics (just in case i change my mind i guess).

And whats your opinions about the MT's preamps? I was thinkng to buy a Marantz PMD660  but the comments i read in forums about its preamps where discouraging...

Thats all, i hope i wasnt a big prick.
Take care y'all

Dennis

Offline timewasajoke

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #273 on: October 31, 2005, 02:29:06 PM »
I have a pair of core sound cardiods for stealthing, but used the mic that came in the package just to test it.  Nice sound, but unfortunately, there was really heavy peak level distortion for the louder numbers.  I attempted to switch to line-in (I didn't know about the mislabeled switch at that point) but the distortion remained.  I imagine the CSC's will handle the peaks better, but I'm concerned about level problems reported here by people with high-end mics.

i purchased adapters from Radio Shack that allow me to use my CSB into the 1/4 inputs and  set the line in to "L" . The levels worked out much better on my second run. I was able to control the levels and peaks just as easy as i can with my D8.

IMO the 1/8 jacks are useless for anything other that speech no matter the quality of mic. It appears there is a flaw in the level control while using this input.

Offline alienbobz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #274 on: October 31, 2005, 09:46:41 PM »
Taped Stephen Kellogg and the Sixers at the Sonic Boom Records in Ballard and The Crocodile Cafe. Did both 24/48. Listening to the Sonic Boom instore and I really love this recording. Two mics on stage just for ambience. About 5 from stage. So far no errors (knocking on wood). Kinda off topic, but I was able to run both my jb3 and mt digitally. The JB3 was able to get 16/48 via the optical in. And I did have the advance on. Guess I have had it on since I bought the WMod. Anyone else been able to do this? Seems weird that I can do this, but Soundforge does say that the MT recording is 24/48. Let me know.
-Out of the game for a bit, probably forever-

Audio Setup:
Apogee Mini-MP
Zoom H6

Video Setup:
Canon Vixia HF G20
Rode NTG-2
Azden SGM-1X

Misc:
Behringer C-2s, Marshall MXL 1006BPs, Naiant MSH-1s

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #275 on: October 31, 2005, 09:50:22 PM »
Taped Stephen Kellogg and the Sixers at the Sonic Boom Records in Ballard and The Crocodile Cafe. Did both 24/48. Listening to the Sonic Boom instore and I really love this recording. Two mics on stage just for ambience. About 5 from stage. So far no errors (knocking on wood). Kinda off topic, but I was able to run both my jb3 and mt digitally. The JB3 was able to get 16/48 via the optical in. And I did have the advance on. Guess I have had it on since I bought the WMod. Anyone else been able to do this? Seems weird that I can do this, but Soundforge does say that the MT recording is 24/48. Let me know.

both the JB3 and DAT decks will lock onto a 24 bit, 48kHz signal, although they will truncate each sample and only record the 16 most significant bits per sample.  So your recording JB3 recording is still 16/48.  truncating a 24 bit signal is not as good as dithering down to 16, but it's fine for a back-up.

Offline alienbobz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #276 on: October 31, 2005, 10:09:21 PM »
I thought I read somewhere when the JB3 recieves a 24bit file that it tries to truncate it but it turns into "crap". Maybe this is 24/96? Have to look around.

Edit: Just read the JB3 FAQ. The JB3 recording does sound fine, though I will be throwing both the mt up there (both 24/48 & 16/44.1).
« Last Edit: October 31, 2005, 10:12:46 PM by alienbobz »
-Out of the game for a bit, probably forever-

Audio Setup:
Apogee Mini-MP
Zoom H6

Video Setup:
Canon Vixia HF G20
Rode NTG-2
Azden SGM-1X

Misc:
Behringer C-2s, Marshall MXL 1006BPs, Naiant MSH-1s

Offline danlynch

• Trade Count: (16)
    • nyctaper
« Reply #277 on: October 31, 2005, 10:29:50 PM »
I have a pair of core sound cardiods for stealthing, but used the mic that came in the package just to test it.  Nice sound, but unfortunately, there was really heavy peak level distortion for the louder numbers.  I attempted to switch to line-in (I didn't know about the mislabeled switch at that point) but the distortion remained.  I imagine the CSC's will handle the peaks better, but I'm concerned about level problems reported here by people with high-end mics.

i purchased adapters from Radio Shack that allow me to use my CSB into the 1/4 inputs and  set the line in to "L" . The levels worked out much better on my second run. I was able to control the levels and peaks just as easy as i can with my D8.

IMO the 1/8 jacks are useless for anything other that speech no matter the quality of mic. It appears there is a flaw in the level control while using this input.

Ah, thanks for this report, its quite helpful.  I was digging through my box of adaptors thinking of this very possibility, but I don't seem to have this exact combination.  Now I know that my trip to the audio supply store will not be in vain.

Founder and Host of NYCTaper:  http://www.nyctaper.com

Microphones:  Schoeps CCM4Us, Sennheiser MKH-8040s, Neumann KM-150s, Neumann TLM-102s, DPA 4061s
Recorders:  Sound Devices 744t, Edirol R-44 (Oade Concert Mod), Edirol R-05
Pre-Amps, D/A's:  Apogee Mini-Me

My Recordings on Archive.org: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/danlynch

Offline slowblow

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #278 on: November 01, 2005, 02:30:55 AM »
well, with all the problem you have, i ask myself to know if the microtrack is a good recorder  :-\
do anyone has tried to tape in stealthy conditions with this combo ?
sp-cmc 8>sp spsb6>mt
is that work fine ?

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #279 on: November 01, 2005, 03:11:45 AM »
Had my first bad luck with the MT tonight. This is my 4th show with it (2x Mule + 1 stealth job). The first 2 turned out great, the stealth job had the overloading problem (CSB mics).

Tonight I got NADA. Recording started out fine, but about an hour in I checked my levels and the meters were pinned and acting wierd. When I stopped the recording the unit froze. I restarted it, and my file was there. Now that I'm home I checked the file size and it's 0.

Luckily I ran the JB3 as a backup (analog in). It sounds pretty good. I've never ran the JB3 line in before.

Kinda bummed. It was a pretty good show (My Morning Jacket).

Hopefully the problems with the MT get cleared up soon. It's a bit frustrating having a recorder that I don't trust.

Tomorrow night is McCartney. I think I'll bring the JB3.

MIKE B
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline coloartist

• Trade Count: (13)
  • MGoldey -"you can shove those mics up your ass
« Reply #280 on: November 01, 2005, 10:44:29 AM »
Had my first bad luck with the MT tonight. This is my 4th show with it (2x Mule + 1 stealth job). The first 2 turned out great, the stealth job had the overloading problem (CSB mics).

Tonight I got NADA. Recording started out fine, but about an hour in I checked my levels and the meters were pinned and acting wierd. When I stopped the recording the unit froze. I restarted it, and my file was there. Now that I'm home I checked the file size and it's 0.

Luckily I ran the JB3 as a backup (analog in). It sounds pretty good. I've never ran the JB3 line in before.

Kinda bummed. It was a pretty good show (My Morning Jacket).

Hopefully the problems with the MT get cleared up soon. It's a bit frustrating having a recorder that I don't trust.

Tomorrow night is McCartney. I think I'll bring the JB3.

MIKE B

This is exactly what happened to me:
Third Show (Phx) First set went well, Second set, MT went 1:45 minutes, froze up, and gave me a corrupt file for the entire second set.
mk4>Kwon/din a/din>kc5>cmc6>kindkables XLR>788T
mk22>Kwon/NOS>kc5>cmc6>kindkablesXLR>788t                                                     
Canon XH-A1 Sony AX100                       
Samsung Backlit LED 55">Pioneer Elite SC-27>Snell Acoustics E.5  Series

Offline spoogles

• Taperssection Member
  • fuck bush
    • showlist
« Reply #281 on: November 01, 2005, 01:43:42 PM »
after being with vegooose this weekend w/ reesey and his mt, i can say this is a pos toy that should'nt be allowed in the field til they fix the firmware issues. the 2 gig file limit is bs and it freezes up on 24/48 coax in. maybe the next firmware patch will fix this.

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #282 on: November 01, 2005, 03:28:30 PM »
after being with vegooose this weekend w/ reesey and his mt, i can say this is a pos toy that should'nt be allowed in the field til they fix the firmware issues. the 2 gig file limit is bs and it freezes up on 24/48 coax in. maybe the next firmware patch will fix this.

what 24/48 S/PDIF signal were you sending it?  I have not had any trouble recording a 24/48 S/PDIF signal from my V3.

Offline L Ron Hoover

• "I figure the odds be 50/50"
« Reply #283 on: November 01, 2005, 03:31:23 PM »

I had problems this past weekend as well. I'm going to chalk it up to operator error though. (I hadn't reformatted the card yet) I do believe now that it is very important to do this before each and every recording session. I know Brian Skalinder hasn't had a problem yet, and I'd imagine he follows this procedure.

Offline spoogles

• Taperssection Member
  • fuck bush
    • showlist
« Reply #284 on: November 01, 2005, 03:40:49 PM »
he was sending 24/48 out of the minime. not sure if he formated the cf card after each recording. it did seem to work fine after he took the mini me out of the chain and ran just the shepz>sax into the 14/ inch @24/48.  but when it did work it sounded superb i must say.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2005, 03:43:27 PM by spoogles »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.145 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com