Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Raspberry Pi HiFiBerry: External Hard Drive USB to Stereo Receiver  (Read 23266 times)

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: External Hard Drive USB to Stereo Receiver
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2019, 10:17:09 PM »

Note that the raspberry pi is a fully functional tiny computer. https://www.raspberrypi.org/about/

Do you presently have a smart TV with a USB input? What model?

How about a Micca Spec?
"The Micca Speck G2 is a true 1080p Full-HD digital media player, capable of decoding all popular video formats such as H.264/MKV, MOV, and AVI files, up to 1080p resolution and 10Mbps bit rate. It supports playback from USB flash drives and USB hard drives upto 2TB, and SD memory cards up to 32GB."

https://www.miccatron.com/micca-speck/

Dang, that thing won't play FLAC, probably needs WAV files. sorry.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 10:18:55 PM by morst »
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2019, 09:58:10 AM »

Note that the raspberry pi is a fully functional tiny computer. https://www.raspberrypi.org/about/

How about a Micca Spec?
"The Micca Speck G2 is a true 1080p Full-HD digital media player, capable of decoding all popular video formats such as H.264/MKV, MOV, and AVI files, up to 1080p resolution and 10Mbps bit rate. It supports playback from USB flash drives and USB hard drives upto 2TB, and SD memory cards up to 32GB."

I looked at file types, it showed FLAC, but not wav?????
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline KenH

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2019, 10:30:44 AM »
Yes, the 60" version of KDL-48W650D, but I don't have the exact model number... Sony Bravia.
retired

Offline KenH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2019, 10:31:50 AM »
For Volumio the Pi and DAC are all you need. It's "headless" (no monitor). You will use you're phone to browse your files on a hard drive connected to the Pi.
Is this the DAC that you buy as an option and attach to the Pi ?
retired

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2019, 11:15:21 AM »
For Volumio the Pi and DAC are all you need. It's "headless" (no monitor). You will use you're phone to browse your files on a hard drive connected to the Pi.
Is this the DAC that you buy as an option and attach to the Pi ?

Yes.  Don't be intimidated by that, though.  It's about as complicated as attaching two Legos together  ;)

You could of course use your own DAC.  I was doing that via USB cable.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline KenH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2019, 11:43:11 AM »
How about a Micca Spec?

The website and manual indicates that the Speck G2 supports FLAC playback...  interesting unit...
retired

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2019, 12:05:58 PM »
Raspberry Pi folks

If I have a USB DAC I am assuming all i need is the base Pi + an OS correct ?

No need to get an onboard DAC unless I want to run straight to an AMP

I know its a dumb question and Im pretty sure the answer is all I need is a Pi but before I buy one to play with figured I would confirm

AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline heathen

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2019, 12:07:51 PM »
Raspberry Pi folks

I know its a dumb question and Im pretty sure the answer is all I need is a Pi but before I buy one to play with figured I would confirm

Correct.  Just connect the Pi to the DAC via USB cable and you're off to the races.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2019, 01:00:48 PM »
The website and manual indicates that the Speck G2 supports FLAC playback...  interesting unit...
Oh good! I didn't do a deep dive on the manual, but wanted to bring the unit to your attention. We use them at my work sometimes. For instance, when folks in trade show booths need their media to loop, but the smart TV won't do it directly, or exactly the way they want.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2019, 08:12:13 PM »
Raspberry Pi folks

Correct.  Just connect the Pi to the DAC via USB cable and you're off to the races.

do you happen to know if the frontend will support multiple Pi's on a LAN ? so i can select say pi in one room vs the other ?
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline heathen

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2019, 10:06:17 PM »
Raspberry Pi folks

do you happen to know if the frontend will support multiple Pi's on a LAN ? so i can select say pi in one room vs the other ?

That I don't know.

Offline KenH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2019, 10:36:18 AM »
Pretty much settling on the Raspberry Pi - seems like the best option (and thanks for the great advice!).

A question or 2:
- What Operating System ?   Does it come with Raspbian installed, or would I need to download it to a flash card to load it ? 
- Then install Volumio or Rune as the audio app, or is that an O/S as well ?

TIA
retired

Offline heathen

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2019, 11:15:57 AM »
Pretty much settling on the Raspberry Pi - seems like the best option (and thanks for the great advice!).

A question or 2:
- What Operating System ?   Does it come with Raspbian installed, or would I need to download it to a flash card to load it ? 
- Then install Volumio or Rune as the audio app, or is that an O/S as well ?

TIA

Rune and Volumio are operating systems.  You'll need to put those on a card with your computer.  It's a matter of just downloading the image file from either site, and then using any number of programs to put that on the card (I could recommend one when I'm at home...I can't remember the name of the one I use off the top of my head).  It's really easy.  At that point you just put the card in the Pi and power it up.

I would definitely recommend getting a couple cards so you can swap back and forth between different operating systems, though, until you find one that works best for you.  Even for an OS dedicated to audio playback, there are more options than just what have been discussed in this thread!  If you've used any of the common Linux distros before, Raspbian will look the most familiar.  Rune and Volumio literally look like just audio players (that's what they are, after all).

Offline KenH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2019, 11:54:18 AM »
Great, thanks for that info!

I've never used Linux, but have worked with and on a few other O/S before (Unix, VMS, Windows, and even older ones like TOPS-20(!)) in my database/software engineering jobs...
retired

Offline KenH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2019, 11:57:48 AM »
Any idea if the HiFiBerry bundle comes with a power supply (as in what's pictured) or does that need to be added to the bundle ?

https://www.hifiberry.com/shop/bundles/dac-bundle/
retired

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com