Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Cassette transfers.  (Read 17201 times)

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
  • Needs to get out more...
Cassette transfers.
« on: April 24, 2019, 05:55:50 PM »
Got another load of GD cassettes coming in this summer. Been experimenting with a few already and undecided on best transfer method that is available to me. Cassette deck is the only constant. Nakamichi CR5A.

This is what I have available:

1. CR5A >V3(digital out)>722
2. CR5A> V3(analog out)>722
- I’ve used both of these quite a bit over the years and have been pleased with the results.
3. CR5A>722
4. CR5A>V2>722
5. CR5A>Mix Pre 6
6. CR5A>ACM V3(digital out)>722

I’ve pretty much tried them all except the V2>722 and ACM Mod V3.

Thanks for the input.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 06:19:08 PM by ts »

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
Re: Cassette transfers.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 05:58:37 PM »
Why use the V2 or V3 at all?  Do you hear a difference between its AD converter and that in the 722?
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline ts

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 06:10:21 PM »
Why use the V2 or V3 at all?  Do you hear a difference between its AD converter and that in the 722?

Good question. The answer is yes, depending. I definitely hear a difference in the V3 AD and would hope to hear a big difference in the ACM V3 compared to the 722 AD. More important question to me is the V2 in front of 722. What purpose would this serve? Different flavor?

mfrench

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 08:54:20 PM »
keep it simple

Offline raymonda

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 10:58:06 PM »
I use my V3 ACM Oade for cassette transfers at 24/96 and can not hear a difference from the source whether it is vinyl or casettes.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 10:21:37 AM »

Good question. The answer is yes, depending. I definitely hear a difference in the V3 AD and would hope to hear a big difference in the ACM V3 compared to the 722 AD. More important question to me is the V2 in front of 722. What purpose would this serve? Different flavor?

IMO, I would use either the V3 or ACM V3 > digi > 722.  If you like the analog inputs of the 722, you could skip the V3s.

But in the end, I think you should reduce the number of analog steps as much as possible, and go for what sounds best to you.

For 99% of listeners out there (like me), there will be no difference in how it sounds.

I've been doing Nak > ACM Tascam HD-P2, and I've been very happy with the results.

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline ts

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 11:10:45 AM »

IMO, I would use either the V3 or ACM V3 > digi > 722.  If you like the analog inputs of the 722, you could skip the V3s.

But in the end, I think you should reduce the number of analog steps as much as possible, and go for what sounds best to you.

For 99% of listeners out there (like me), there will be no difference in how it sounds.

I've been doing Nak > ACM Tascam HD-P2, and I've been very happy with the results.

Terry

The V3 isn’t ACM’ed yet. I was thinking about it. Any votes on V2>722? Add a little Grace flavor to the process?

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2019, 01:30:02 PM »

Terry

The V3 isn’t ACM’ed yet. I was thinking about it. Any votes on V2>722? Add a little Grace flavor to the process?

My only concern about this is having two preamp (analog) steps...

I think you can get just about the same "flavor" by using the V3 and the digital out...  Right???

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Offline ts

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2019, 03:15:16 PM »

Terry

My only concern about this is having two preamp (analog) steps...

I think you can get just about the same "flavor" by using the V3 and the digital out...  Right???

Terry

True, except when going analog out of V3 or V2 I will be going line in on the 722. Nice having the line in option.

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2019, 03:35:15 PM »

True, except when going analog out of V3 or V2 I will be going line in on the 722. Nice having the line in option.

Ahh!  I didn't know that the 722 had a line-in...

Take your best tape, transfer it several different ways and then do some testing...  Pick the one you like the best and go with that... 

I think the differences we are talking about are too small to be noticeable to most people...

Terry

Offline ts

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2019, 06:16:47 PM »

Take your best tape, transfer it several different ways and then do some testing...  Pick the one you like the best and go with that... 

I think the differences we are talking about are too small to be noticeable to most people...

Terry

Yea, I think all my options are pretty solid. Like I said I don’t have the ACM Mod yet and will probably end up passing on it. My V3 is pretty much sold anyway if I choose to let it go.

Basically I’m trying to put my old rig to use before I end up giving it away. The values on V2’s, 3’s and 7xx’s have pretty much shit the bed around here so if I can use this stuff in a transfer rack, why not. 

Offline RyanJ

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Nine Inch Nails Live Archive
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2019, 09:31:57 PM »
Always like to hear what others do for cassette transfers.

I know my way is probably a sin. But I have always done Nak CR3A > M10. Again, not ideal. But quality difference is probably negligible.

That Tascam deck looks sick. May be the next purchase.
http://www.ninlive.com]
http://www.ryanjonik.com
Mics: Schoeps MK4s, AT853 (4.7k mod)
Pre: Naiant IPA v1.0, Babynbox
Recorders: M10, A10, Zoom F8n, Marantz PMD-620 (Concert Mod), TCD-D8
Transfers: Everything you want

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2019, 09:22:03 AM »

Terry

Yea, I think all my options are pretty solid. Like I said I don’t have the ACM Mod yet and will probably end up passing on it. My V3 is pretty much sold anyway if I choose to let it go.

Basically I’m trying to put my old rig to use before I end up giving it away. The values on V2’s, 3’s and 7xx’s have pretty much shit the bed around here so if I can use this stuff in a transfer rack, why not.

LOL!  My HD-P2 hasn't left the house in years...  It just sits on top of the "Transfer Stack"...

Every once in a while, I'll start wanting an ACM V3.  But then I kick myself and say, "that's why you got a ACM HD-P2!"

Terry

ETA:  https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=189745.msg2294636#msg2294636
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 09:25:02 AM by twatts (pants are so over-rated...) »

mfrench

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2019, 09:52:09 AM »
prsently working on cassette transfers myself.
sometimes you open drawers, and you have completely forgotten about masters.
Marantz SD63 -> Tas DR70D 2444
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 09:53:55 AM by Moke »

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2019, 08:57:38 AM »
keep it simple

+T
Archiving means not modifying
Use the most transparent means available, then tweak to your heart's content on gen2
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com