Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Cassette transfers.  (Read 17206 times)

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Cassette transfers.
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2019, 09:49:00 AM »
prsently working on cassette transfers myself.
sometimes you open drawers, and you have completely forgotten about masters.
Marantz SD63 -> Tas DR70D 2444

Nice Moke! Keeping it simple. Curious though, why is the hood open on the Marantz? Azimuth adjust in there somewhere?

mfrench

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2019, 10:39:33 AM »
That was me being stupid.
I'd originally set the cass. deck up on this cabinet in the music room, without thinking.  The opposite end of that cabinet has the household WiFi hub on it.
Without thinking or realizing, I attempted a transfer, and, I came up with this weird pulsing sound. My mind tried to turn it into a bad capacitor in the deck. So I opened it up, and looked for overt signs of bad caps; leaking spots, split cans, etc.. I found nothing.
I tried a second transfer, and, came up with the same noise again. WTF?
Then I realized my mistake, and, moved the deck over to another outlet, and tried again; no noise.
I took the pic before I put the lid back on.

Offline ts

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2019, 05:24:53 PM »
So I recently got a batch of tapes from mid 90’s up to 2002. My Nak CR5A folds every one of them. They’re all from the same source deck. Sony D5. My Nak plays anything I throw at it, any year any source, except this batch. What could be the issue? Bad storage? Bad D5? I wanted to try these tapes on the D5 that recorded them but that deck is not working and the owner does not want to repair it. Don’t know what to tell him. Would anyone be interested in trying to transfer these tapes? If it’s the Nak I’ll get it serviced, but I don’t think it is.

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2019, 06:45:03 PM »
^ ugh!
Dry lubricant failure on the hub guide sheets?
Stuck tape guide rollers?

"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline ts

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2019, 07:44:40 PM »
Found some good stuff on line for cassette repairs. I’m thinking I should have the belts replaced on the deck to.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 08:05:34 PM by ts »

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2019, 09:16:55 AM »
So I recently got a batch of tapes from mid 90’s up to 2002. My Nak CR5A folds every one of them. They’re all from the same source deck. Sony D5. My Nak plays anything I throw at it, any year any source, except this batch. What could be the issue? Bad storage? Bad D5? I wanted to try these tapes on the D5 that recorded them but that deck is not working and the owner does not want to repair it. Don’t know what to tell him. Would anyone be interested in trying to transfer these tapes? If it’s the Nak I’ll get it serviced, but I don’t think it is.

I assume you FF and RW each tape before transfer???

I have no idea why it would do that except the cassettes have been stored poorly???

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

mfrench

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2019, 09:28:48 AM »
Found some good stuff on line for cassette repairs. I’m thinking I should have the belts replaced on the deck to.

While I had the lid of my deck off, I did take an alcohol soaked piece of cloth, and I cleaned the flywheel, which was kind of dirty. I also lightly rubed the belt while it was rotating with the same alc. rag, and it came up a bit cleaner as well.

Offline ts

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2019, 06:49:18 PM »

I assume you FF and RW each tape before transfer???

I have no idea why it would do that except the cassettes have been stored poorly???

Terry

Yes, I always FF and RW and then clean head and lube rollers after every couple shows. I just hope that crinkled tapes can eventually be used for transfer. I really don’t know why 40 year old tapes play and 20 year olds won’t. 👍😜

I sent the deck to Pro Dig for a check up. Last time I had it serviced was 2005. I’m sure I’ll get to the bottom of it.

Offline Popmarter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2019, 04:56:25 PM »
From doing a lot of cassettetransfers from nakamichi machines (dragon / cr7), i think the best thing to do is make sure the unit is in excellent condition. Spins the tapes a few times, on a different machine (to avoid dirt on the Nak-machine).

Use some good and short cables to connect to the analog in from the unit that records it. Pick the unit with the 'best' A/D converter. Like said by other...keep it simple. Everything else can be done in post.

I record in 24bit/48 khz. You can go higher if space is no problem, but I really can't think of any technical reason to do so. Make sure to archive the original transfer files, so you can back in case you have to.

Recorders: Zoom F3; SD MixPre 3 II; Sony A10; Edirol R44; Sony M10; Sony WM-D6; iRiver IHP-120; Sharp MD-MT20; Sharp MD-MT190
Microphones: Schoeps MK41; Nevaton MC59/S (cards); Milab VM-44 Links (cards), AT853 7.4mod (cards); AT831 (cards); Nakamichi CM300 (all CP's); Soundman OKM II Rock Studios
Preamps: Beyerdynamic MV100; JK Laboratories DVC-X-17b; Naiant IPA; Nakamichi MX-100 modded for 9v battery use ; Baby Nbox

Offline ts

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2019, 05:44:02 PM »
I sent the deck to Paul at Prodigital. Should be getting it back soon.

Offline RyanJ

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Nine Inch Nails Live Archive
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2019, 09:12:06 PM »
Pick the unit with the 'best' A/D converter.

What would you consider that to be? Also, I have been looking for an external audio card for my Mac Mini for quite some time now. Any suggestions what may be good out there?
http://www.ninlive.com]
http://www.ryanjonik.com
Mics: Schoeps MK4s, AT853 (4.7k mod)
Pre: Naiant IPA v1.0, Babynbox
Recorders: M10, A10, Zoom F8n, Marantz PMD-620 (Concert Mod), TCD-D8
Transfers: Everything you want

Offline Popmarter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2019, 02:59:35 PM »

What would you consider that to be? Also, I have been looking for an external audio card for my Mac Mini for quite some time now. Any suggestions what may be good out there?

In your case most likely: Nak > 722
Again, I believe the - keep it simple -  approach with the cassettedeck being the main concern.

Then there is the Dolby yes/no debate. I prefer Dolby OFF to preserve highs. Only under excellent conditions Dolby is a benefit to some, but in our case (old tapes / different recordertype) it is not.

Second options is too archive both ways (if the master i recorded with dolby on offcourse), one with dolby on, other off.

Recorders: Zoom F3; SD MixPre 3 II; Sony A10; Edirol R44; Sony M10; Sony WM-D6; iRiver IHP-120; Sharp MD-MT20; Sharp MD-MT190
Microphones: Schoeps MK41; Nevaton MC59/S (cards); Milab VM-44 Links (cards), AT853 7.4mod (cards); AT831 (cards); Nakamichi CM300 (all CP's); Soundman OKM II Rock Studios
Preamps: Beyerdynamic MV100; JK Laboratories DVC-X-17b; Naiant IPA; Nakamichi MX-100 modded for 9v battery use ; Baby Nbox

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2019, 04:36:58 PM »

In your case most likely: Nak > 722
Again, I believe the - keep it simple -  approach with the cassettedeck being the main concern.

Then there is the Dolby yes/no debate. I prefer Dolby OFF to preserve highs. Only under excellent conditions Dolby is a benefit to some, but in our case (old tapes / different recordertype) it is not.

Second options is too archive both ways (if the master i recorded with dolby on offcourse), one with dolby on, other off.

Whenever I get a Dolby Cassette, I do playback with and without, and get two Transfers...  I let the person who sent me the Cassette decide which they want to Seed...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline RyanJ

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Nine Inch Nails Live Archive
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2019, 07:58:00 AM »
You connect the cassette deck via RCA > XLR? Can you do the same for a DAT deck with an optical in? This is in regards to 722.
http://www.ninlive.com]
http://www.ryanjonik.com
Mics: Schoeps MK4s, AT853 (4.7k mod)
Pre: Naiant IPA v1.0, Babynbox
Recorders: M10, A10, Zoom F8n, Marantz PMD-620 (Concert Mod), TCD-D8
Transfers: Everything you want

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2019, 12:46:22 AM »
I used to run Nakamichi > V3 > R-44, but now just run Nakamichi > Mixpre-6
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com