Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Oppo replacement? Flac player via dsl NAS drive  (Read 5487 times)

Offline georgeh

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Oppo replacement? Flac player via dsl NAS drive
« on: September 23, 2019, 02:33:52 PM »
I have an Oppo, now looking for a 2nd, unfortunately they stopped making them. I have a 2nd room I want to hook up with cat 5/dsl to stream music from my Drobo NAS drive.
Sony sells one, Yamaha, curious if anyone else is using something aside from the Oppo, that I love. Blueray, sure nice to have but it's about the music I want to stream from Drobo that I am mainly interested in.
Thanks
microtech gefell sms 2000, MG 21 & 20 & 27 caps >
M148 (with new ext battery) > acm P2 (2 of them)
Nbob active cables / PFA, Nbox Platinum

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Oppo replacement? Flac player via dsl NAS drive
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 04:07:12 PM »
Raspberry Pi
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline georgeh

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2019, 08:24:50 AM »
Raspberry Pi
I googled Rapberry Pi and can't find a great deal of info, looks like a small computer box, but don't see how it would work ? Trying to hard wire not wifi network a 2nd stereo up so I can play flacs off Drobo NAS drive to stereo

Offline KenH

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2019, 10:14:49 AM »
Raspberry Pi can play from attached USB drives or from network storage.   The Raspberry Pi is basically a micro computer board about the size of a deck of cards.  For music, you add on another audio board to the top of it, no soldering or anything, it just plugs in.  Then put it into a box, insert a microSD card with the operation system which you can d/l for free.

Thanks for Heathen's recommendation (see https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=189421.0) , I've been using a Raspberry Pi 3B+ with a DIGI "hat" and haven't looked back.  I use Volumio as the O/S and interface with it via a phone app or a PC.  Simple to assemble and use.  Check https://www.hifiberry.com for the components.  Raspberry Pi 4 is out (more memory, etc), but the Pi 3 works just fine, great even.  I use it to play FLACs on my home stereo.    Highly recommended.

But not sure if you can hardwire a network drive to the unit.  It does have an ethernet port though.

Have also built 2 KODI boxes using the Pi.   The microSD card in this case has a KODI O/S.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 10:19:24 AM by KenH »
retired

Offline heathen

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2019, 02:53:01 PM »
Raspberry Pi can play from attached USB drives or from network storage.   The Raspberry Pi is basically a micro computer board about the size of a deck of cards.  For music, you add on another audio board to the top of it, no soldering or anything, it just plugs in.  Then put it into a box, insert a microSD card with the operation system which you can d/l for free.

Depending on your stereo setup a second board might not even be necessary.  I've had mine connected to a preamp that has a built-in USB DAC and I didn't need to add anything to the Pi...just plugged it in via USB cable and used the preamp's DAC.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline heathen

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2019, 04:34:34 PM »
Another benefit of the Pi is that if it doesn't work out for you in this use, there are lots of other uses for one.  You can use one to protect your home network (look up Pi-Hole), or even use one as a normal computer (though it will obviously not be as fast as a full-size up-to-date machine).

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2019, 07:28:49 PM »
I just use my Marantz receiver

Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline georgeh

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2019, 09:21:10 AM »
Thanks for info and links. That could work just fine, a little curious about a player, I might want to play dvd-a disk as well, like on the Oppo. But for networking, my main objective, this would work I believe. But happy to hear any suggestions on dvd-a player as well as a network player to connect to my Drobo 5N.
You all did answer my initial question though, play music via network, just curious about more than that option as well.

Offline todd e

• Trade Count: (3)
  • ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2019, 01:59:40 PM »
Raspberry Pi
I googled Rapberry Pi and can't find a great deal of info, looks like a small computer box, but don't see how it would work ? Trying to hard wire not wifi network a 2nd stereo up so I can play flacs off Drobo NAS drive to stereo
trust me, this route takes tinkering patience that you do not have.  speaking as the IT support for ya, listen to me.
ebay is a better option, if you want that oppo.

https://www.ebay.com/p/129000151?iid=303314422536&rt=nc
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 02:03:22 PM by todd e »

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2019, 04:45:57 PM »
Maybe something like this Marantz? Audio only, though. I have a previous version, as my bedroom stereo, connected directly to my NAS. It is great except that it doesn't do gapless playback. That oversight has been corrected on this model.

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2019, 10:07:27 AM »
Thanks to a couple board members I was able to get another Squeezebox system up and running after my original SB system crapped out. I think if I ever have to change or upgrade I would definitely look for a used OPPO or something like that Marantz.

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2019, 07:58:40 PM »
Did anyone throw the Teac NT-503 in as an option?

http://audio.teac.com/product/nt-503/
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2019, 01:52:24 PM »
I just use my Marantz receiver

ditto  The built-in HEOS on the newer ones sound fantastic to my ears.  I have a Denon x3400h ht receiver.  It's a "swiss army knife".  I use that all the time, ignoring my htpc for music listening.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 10:16:14 PM by spyder9 »

Offline georgeh

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2020, 05:16:32 PM »
a very delayed, thanks for the suggestions.
I got side tracked and didn't have the cash to look. but will again this spring.
damn...love my Oppo!!!!!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.118 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com