Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Squeezebox replacement ?  (Read 8238 times)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
Squeezebox replacement ?
« on: December 13, 2019, 10:23:08 AM »
my classic squeezebox finally seems to be dying.   It has served me well for over a decade.
So, I have no clue what a decent replacement is these days.   Any recommendations ?

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
Re: Squeezebox replacement ?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019, 11:40:15 AM »
my classic squeezebox finally seems to be dying.   It has served me well for over a decade.
So, I have no clue what a decent replacement is these days.   Any recommendations ?

If you already are running the server there is an app for amazon fire sticks. you install the app and then control the server with a web browser on your phone or computer.

Biggest questions are what connections are you using to the amp / pre ? You could also go the raspberry pi route.
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2019, 02:49:31 PM »
firetv option would only help me if the duet on my main system went out.  wouldn't solve anything if my kitchen boom went out.  the boom on my deck blew a sub which I'm going to attempt to replace.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2019, 04:11:09 PM »
firetv option would only help me if the duet on my main system went out.  wouldn't solve anything if my kitchen boom went out.  the boom on my deck blew a sub which I'm going to attempt to replace.

raspberry pi solution would work for that i would imagine
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2019, 10:40:46 PM »
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2019, 09:00:26 AM »

raspberry pi solution would work for that i would imagine

If this is what you are referring to that is not an option!  No way the wife would allow a mess like that on the kitchen counter (nor would I want it).  Plus I want access to all my stuff not just what is on a thumb drive.

http://www.gerrelt.nl/RaspberryPi/wordpress/tutorial-stand-alone-squeezebox-server-and-player-for-bbq/

Admittingly I have not looked into it much but I see some folks also use pi to run the server software. I have windows 10 pro box set up as a 16tb home server running LMS so I'm set there.  House is hardwired for cat 6.  I have a boom in the kitchen and one on the deck.  Also have a duet on my main stereo.  So if booms go out what could replace them?  One already did but I'm hoping to replace the sub.  If duet went out I already have a firetv connected to main stereo so yes that could be an option.

Sonos will now at least play 24bit even if it truncates.  Which in the kitchen or deck who cares!  The main thing stopping me is the song limit.  I have every dead show and jerry show on my server.  Those alone go over the limit.  I have read about workarounds but none seem reliable.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2019, 06:15:03 PM »
I saw a small 10" display mini laptop with Atom processor in the eWaste heap.
So I recycled it into a digital player.  Linux has many player / streaming video options.

I installed LinuxMint (x86) on it and chained it to my new Grace DAC, onto a Bottlehead-like stereo tube pre, and out to the NAD 320BEE amp feeding a pair of (sweet!) Mission towers.

All the festival, all the tour, nice, warm, and clear all day and night.
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2019, 03:12:14 PM »
I ended up buying a BT car aux adapter and a RCA > female 3.5mm cable.
problem solved for $20.

Offline tapeworm48

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm running a dojo of coolness...
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2020, 10:29:08 AM »
FWIW - when my squeezebox died, i replaced it w/ google chromecast audio, which has a digital coax out (for use in my living room).  i continued to use squeezebox server on my PC, until i replaced it with minimserver.  i controlled the playback through the Hi-Fi Cast audio app on android.  i really liked this solution, and also replicated it in my bedroom where i also had a squeezebox.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn... We F**ked Up."

Schoeps MK4s / AT831s / DPA4061s
Nbox / Tinybox v1.5 / SPSB-11 / CSbox
M10 / R09 / D100

07/19 Pearl Jam @ Wrigley Field
08/01 QOTSA @ Metro
08/02 Lollapalooza (NIN / QOTSA / Thievery / Band of Horses)
08/15 QOTSA @ Red Rocks
09/23 Arctic Monkeys @ Riviera Theater
10/18 Pearl Jam @ Barclays
10/19 Pearl Jam @ Barclays
10/21 Pearl Jam @ Wells Fargo Center
10/22 Pearl Jam @ Wells Fargo Center
11/15 NIN @ Hard Rock
11/16 NIN @ Hard Rock
12/06 Pearl Jam @ Key Arena

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2020, 12:58:44 PM »
I bought a Denon AV receiver last year, X3400H, that came with HEOS.  Marantz carries HEOS in their receivers too.  HEOS is the future: Squeezebox-like streamers incorporated in today's AV receivers.  One press of the dedicated HEOS button on the remote........ and I'm rockin'.   All my music is stored on a QNAP NAS.   :guitarist:

Offline Jammin72

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2020, 02:51:39 PM »
So many consumer receivers and DVD/Blu Ray players support DLNA now.  You don't really have to go out and get a network player perse. I can use my Onkyo receiver to access any of the music on my PC and it plays the high resolution files fine on it's own.  Add Bubble UPnP app to the phone and you can actually use it as a controller to send things to various devices that support DLNA as a sort of graphical remote control.   I personally think using Plex is the easiest way to manage libraries at the house and throw tunes to just about any streaming device or smartphone out there.  It supports just about everything.  Now that they've added gapless playback it's $$.  If you want whole home wireless audio simultaneous playback then Chromecast or Sonos is where to look. 

If you want to spend some money and like discovery style media organization Roon is also making waves.

Yes, but what do you HEAR?

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2020, 11:11:28 AM »
I have a headless raspberry pi with a Schitt DAC via USB. I have a server (aka old PC with Linux) with terabytes of flac files, raspi mounts via NFS. Raspi has MPD (music player daemon) running.  My laptop, phone, and ipad have MPC clients for select playlist, etc.  i like it, the rest of my family doesn’t use it... they just play CD’s.

For the car I have traditionally burned CD’s. I just bought a new car without a CD player, I had no idea it was like that.  Having only lossy music bugs the hell out of me. I’m thinking of doing the above in the car, with the added challenge of intermittent power.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2020, 10:00:59 PM »
Joe, just get a FIIO DAP and plug it into the car's Aux.  Golden!   :coolguy:

Offline unidentified

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2020, 10:29:23 PM »
Concur.

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2020, 05:15:16 PM »
My new to me McIntosh MA5200 has a built in 32/192 D/A USB input. Just had to download the driver from McIntosh for Windows and connect. I’m using Winamp to load playlists for now. I’ll probably being trying a different player, but for now Winamp works just fine.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com