Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Playing 24bit files with smartphone thru stereo system  (Read 3297 times)

Offline firemt66

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
Playing 24bit files with smartphone thru stereo system
« on: December 31, 2019, 11:44:06 AM »
Hello,when i play 24bit files with my samsung 9+ thru a 10year old av reciever,  does it down sample to 16bit as it plays or am i playing 24bit and if thats the case is that better sound than the 16bit..this is all with the latest ZEP boxsets with the download hi resolution cards...

Offline dyneq

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Playing 24bit files with smartphone thru stereo system
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2019, 04:57:44 PM »
Here are the Android media format details: https://developer.android.com/guide/topics/media/media-formats

If they are FLAC, then they should be playing in 24 bit.

After doing my own ABX testing, I know that I don't possess the golden ears required to enjoy 24 bit. Doing your own testing on your system is the only way for you to answer the 'better sound' question.

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 02:44:24 AM »
Might be constrained by the interface between phone & receiver.
IP or Bluetooth?

https://www.howtogeek.com/338750/whats-the-difference-between-bluetooth-a2dp-and-aptx/
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 06:04:49 AM »
get a chromecast audio it can do lossless
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline firemt66

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2020, 12:26:21 PM »
IP or bluetooth?
 Cable from the reciever to my phone..we did a comparison with what is and what should never be last night..lp sounded better than the 24 bit file

Offline Jammin72

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2020, 02:56:52 PM »
IP or bluetooth?
 Cable from the reciever to my phone..we did a comparison with what is and what should never be last night..lp sounded better than the 24 bit file

A lot of variables here.  Volume level matching is one of them.  Invariably one source will be louder than the other which is the most common reason people hear "better".  There's also mastering involved different engineers and different mastering sessions can be quite different, it's why vinyl aficionados chase specific pressings. Another is the amplifier section of your phone vs the output stage of the record player.  You've got some tee-tiny components in your phone trying to generate a line level signal if you're connecting with a cable that is really designed to be headphone level output.  The electronics of the Vinyl pre are more designed for the job.  LP's have a lot of inherent EQ applied to them in both the encoding and decoding stages due the necessity of RIAA curves.  How it was mastered and how that reversal is being applied in your vinyl pre makes your comparison akin to comparing two sources with one having EQ applied, it won't be the same.  It can also be that the IMD of the record and more mid-range forward presentation of vinyl due to it's physical limitations is simply more pleasing to your ears.   

More modern receivers can replay 24 bit files natively and it would be a more fair comparison to compare using something along those lines.
Yes, but what do you HEAR?

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• Oceana North America
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2020, 01:47:29 PM »
Don't confuse digital and analog signal constraints
While digital has limits in the voltage of it's signaling, that is appropriately scaled to components (engineering) that are in use.
This is why digital is infinitely superior to analog formats.
Also the mechanical headaches, like motors, radiuses, viscous components, cantilevers, not to mention wear and tear, make analog systems less accurate reproducers of audio.
All of those things add unwanted artifacts and although digital has its own, they do not vary and may be much more effectively remediated.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 01:49:54 PM by 108Ω »
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

- Fran Lebowitz

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• Oceana North America
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2020, 05:02:58 AM »
IP or bluetooth? C

That's a misquote, not sure whatcha did there...
My comment was regarding your bluetooth connection and the various types available.

I do not do or publish formal comparisons...
(and everyone on the board knows that I'm no fan of vinyl, but I do not judge....  Like what sounds good to your ears, not mine)
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

- Fran Lebowitz

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2020, 09:37:14 AM »
get a chromecast audio it can do lossless
to clarify, in ios mconnect app can play flac files from the phone and works with chromecast audio
google play app can prob play local lossless files as well (though everything in the cloud get suatomatically converted to 320CBR)

in android, i believe VLC can play straight to chromecast as well

chromecasting uses straight wi-fi and is not beholden to bluetooth codec limits
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com