Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Portable player  (Read 9674 times)

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
Re: Portable player
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2020, 05:29:41 PM »
I use my Iphone along with Dragonfly Black USB
DAC and lightning connection kit. On the phone
I have the Onkyo HF player that plays 24 bit flac files
I already own my phone, it has plenty of storage
Just needed the additional hardware and software to
make it sound better!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 05:32:14 PM by edtyre »
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline unidentified

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2020, 09:59:59 AM »
Find a Pioneer XP-30. Punches way way above what you can find it for, maybe $150-200. I’ve owned fiio and this sounds much better to me, two 256gb slots, WiFi for streaming, a real champ.

https://www.whathifi.com/us/pioneer/xdp-30r/review

There's a lot of wisdom on this board.  My Fiio X5 first gen still works fine but my newer Fiio X5 2nd gen's outputs (both headphone AND line out) have crapped out on me (as foreseen by OldNewmantapr).  I've taken MakersMarc's advice and ordered a Pioneer XDP 30R, which appears to use the same type of cards as the Fiio.

Here's my question -- can I just swap out the cards from the Fiio to the Pioneer when it arrives, or should I copy the cards' data to my computer (that connection still works fine on the Fiio), reformat the cards in the Pioneer, and then copy the data from the computer back onto the cards in the Pioneer?  The first approach sounds temptingly easy, but, as Click and Clack used to say, it's the lazy man who does the most work.  Thoughts? Advice?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 10:03:15 AM by unidentified »

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2020, 11:47:45 AM »
I believe that with most DAPs, you can move cards around without losing data. Ima gonna try I’ll get back to you.

The Pioneer wouldn’t recognize music from another micro sd card. I connected the pioneer to my pc and just did a mass transfer
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 12:02:22 PM by MakersMarc »
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline unidentified

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2020, 01:54:14 PM »
Your first thought turned out to be right in my case.  When I got the Pioneer, I first backed up all the data on the cards and then moved them from the Fiio to the Pioneer.  They worked liked a charm.  The Pioneer is a nice machine.  Good points are that it is significantly smaller than the Fiio, has a much more convenient gain control, and--perhaps best of all--can accommodate cards that have twice the capacity of the Fiio (so I moved those cards back and put new ones in the Pioneer)!  Downsides from my point of view is that it won't play through folders, a drag since I like to load chronologically dated folders, each holding an album of a given artist, to listen to sequentially so I can enjoy listening to how his or her style evolved (imagine listening to Miles that way from Birth of the Cool to Agharta).  It also won't remember where I left off the night before and resume from that point when I fire it up  in the morning. It also seems to choke at times at files with embedded art work. But, hey, I've adapted my use of each of the players to take advantage of their specific quirks.  I also do everything I can to baby their headphone jacks, since these damn little openings seem to be the Achilles Heel of every portable device I've owned since my first cassette Walkman.  Thanks again for the advice, gang.   :headphones:
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 08:15:19 PM by unidentified »

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2020, 11:30:58 PM »
My 3.5 is a little jinky two years in and having been dropped maybe 30 times and counting. None of these players seem to have a real robust connection. But as you say, I love the storage, and for the price I don’t think you can come close to the sound.

Thinking of picking up a Shanling m0. Size of a big postage stamp. Crazy. These things can get addictive.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline unidentified

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2020, 05:57:18 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/Shanling-Hi-Res-Portable-Music-Player/dp/B07BZY2QN1

At that price, this little player is very tempting. 
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 05:59:05 PM by unidentified »

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2020, 02:47:34 PM »
Sony NW A45.  Last year's model.  The new one is the A55 ($220 New).  You can't go wrong with either.

If you want something small for the gym, I recommend the FIIO M6.  Sounds great.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2020, 04:16:46 PM »
im assuming all these do gapless with both flac and mp3?
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2020, 09:34:55 AM »
im assuming all these do gapless with both flac and mp3?

Yes.  I wouldn't own them if they didn't.

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2020, 12:16:32 PM »
some advertise gapless and aren't, like some fiio models. The Pioneer does gapless, and the Shanling m0 says it does.

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2020, 11:17:29 AM »
I've owned 2 Fiio models and both are gapless. 

some advertise gapless and aren't, like some fiio models. The Pioneer does gapless, and the Shanling m0 says it does.
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline unidentified

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2020, 08:37:13 AM »
Same here

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2020, 10:16:05 PM »
Picked up an open box Shanling m0 for $89, couldn’t resist. Of course, two days later and one of my beloved pairs of Thinksound ms02 earphones, decided to finally take a crap after four years of daily use. So now shopping for backup iem pair, I won’t be stuck with fucking iPhone earphones if my other pair of thinksounds goes bad.

Pretty decided on the 1more triple drivers, $60 at BH Photo.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1496409-REG/1more_e1001_triple_driver_in_ear_headphones.html/?ap=y&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIv5rb5MSK6wIVlyCtBh0UAAdWEAQYASABEgKJtvD_BwE&lsft=BI%3A514&smp=y

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2020, 12:12:42 AM »
Picked up an open box Shanling m0 for $89, couldn’t resist. Of course, two days later and one of my beloved pairs of Thinksound ms02 earphones, decided to finally take a crap after four years of daily use. So now shopping for backup iem pair, I won’t be stuck with fucking iPhone earphones if my other pair of thinksounds goes bad.

Pretty decided on the 1more triple drivers, $60 at BH Photo.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1496409-REG/1more_e1001_triple_driver_in_ear_headphones.html/?ap=y&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIv5rb5MSK6wIVlyCtBh0UAAdWEAQYASABEgKJtvD_BwE&lsft=BI%3A514&smp=y

"Tuned by Grammy-winning sound engineer Luca Bignardi"

like every one, personally?
or is it a 'use guys endorsement to sell stuff downstream' sorta gig?
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2020, 07:20:44 PM »
Shanling m0 is super cool. Nice UI, two way BT, works as a DAC, which I like to have for each lappie. Unfortunately, my four year old Think sound ms02 IEMs took a shit, my second pair isn’t burned in at all, neither is the m0. I’ll report back on sound. But decent, even unburned.

Takes 512gb but I went cheap and dropped in a Sandisk ultra 128, no issues. Stupidly, I tried for a half an hour to get it to work as a DAC, before realizing I needed to download the Shanling usb driver. 🙄 once that was done, no issues.

$89 for an open box. Pending the burn in, I love this thing. It has the tightest most secure 3.5 Out I’ve ever seen. The Pioneer sounds a little better, but the 3.5 comes loose if you look at it wrong.

30-40 hours in, it's a keeper. Not as good sounding as the Pioneer, but damn close.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 09:25:28 PM by MakersMarc »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com