Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Headphones Advice  (Read 4416 times)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Headphones Advice
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2020, 02:49:10 PM »
A heretical view on my part perhaps, but I don't feel a headphone amp is necessary for the Senns.

Most of the time I simply plug my HD650/600/700 directly into whatever is playing the music.  Sure, a nice headphone amp can improve things, but not nearly as much as the headphones themselves and I don't consider use of one necessity for satisfactory use.  They all sound great plugged directly into any of the audio recorders I've used over the past decade, including R09, R44, DR680, R88, and Zoom F8 (F8 benefits from selecting a higher headphone gain setting in the menu) among others, various stereo and home theater receiver/amps, as well as straight out of the built-in headphone jack of computers. Granted all of my 'phones are very well broken in / "loosened up" with lots of playing time.

If I really feel I need to hear the Nth degree of detail and linearity I'll pull out the Mytek DAC, but most of the time I don't bother and am happy with the direct simplicity.

Others may disagree, but this works for me and avoids complication.

For me, my other sources just didn't have enough juice to drive the 6XX loud enough for my tastes.  That was the main reason for the amp purchase.  Although the one source I did try them direct with that was more than loud enough was my Galaxy S8 phone, surprisingly.

Also, I'm a bit envious of your Mytek.  I hear they are oustanding.  Brooklyn?
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2020, 06:07:07 PM »
Maybe I just don't listen that loud.

My Mytek is an older gen, probaby 10 years old, bought in the yard sale here.  Can't remember the model off hand, but probably 2 generations prior to Brooklyn.  Sounds great.  No analog input is its primary drawback.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2020, 06:14:41 PM »
I sold you that Mytek in 2011, Lee.  Where's the time gone?!  Stereo96 DAC blue model.  That box opened my ears up to details of recordings I had never heard before.  My go to these days is a Grace M903 that I purchased used a few years back.  It's great, with tons of clean gain.
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2020, 06:31:15 PM »
That's the one. Thanks Horus! 
Dang, was it really that long ago? 
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2020, 02:02:23 PM »
Grace makes good stuff, but has always been out of my price range.  That's why I jumped on the 02+SDAC because Grade made the DAC side. 

Here's some detailed explanation of the design:
https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-x-grace-design-standard-dac/talk/1862815
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com