Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Thinking about getting a DIY speaker kit, anybody have any experience with this?  (Read 3217 times)

Offline TheBishop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
I've been toying around with the idea of getting a floor standing DIY speaker kit like the Parts Express TriTrix MTM TL kit: https://www.parts-express.com/tritrix-mtm-tl-tower-speaker-components-and-cabinet-kit-pair--300-702

$299 for a pair of speakers ain't bad at all and they seem to get good reviews.  Does anybody have any experience with either building or using these speakers for playback?  Any suggestions for other kits to look at?

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • The Breakfast
I've been toying around with the idea of getting a floor standing DIY speaker kit like the Parts Express TriTrix MTM TL kit: https://www.parts-express.com/tritrix-mtm-tl-tower-speaker-components-and-cabinet-kit-pair--300-702

$299 for a pair of speakers ain't bad at all and they seem to get good reviews.  Does anybody have any experience with either building or using these speakers for playback?  Any suggestions for other kits to look at?

ive built these

https://www.parts-express.com/c-note-mt-bookshelf-speaker-kit-pair-with-knock-down-cabinets--300-7140

i use them for my PC playback system. i had never used a soldering iron before doing it. I found that the most challenging as i know wood working etc but overall it was easy with the right clamps for gluing the cabinets.
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline TheBishop

• Taperssection Regular
Do you have experience with the Philharmonic?  They don't have much in the way of details on that page.  Looking at the kit contents it looks like it's just for the cabinet, no speakers or crossover are even mentioned.  It also doesn't mention the dimensions of the assembled unit.

Never mind, wasn't thinking clearly earlier and neglected to see that you had two links there.  $925 for speakers and $330 for cabinets is a bit more than what I was looking for, though I'm sure they'd sound awesome.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 01:14:15 PM by TheBishop »

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
Do you have experience with the Philharmonic?  They don't have much in the way of details on that page.  Looking at the kit contents it looks like it's just for the cabinet, no speakers or crossover are even mentioned.  It also doesn't mention the dimensions of the assembled unit.

Never mind, wasn't thinking clearly earlier and neglected to see that you had two links there.  $925 for speakers and $330 for cabinets is a bit more than what I was looking for, though I'm sure they'd sound awesome.

These are end-game level speakers.  Buy once cry once.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline TheBishop

• Taperssection Regular
Well, the Parts Express kits seem to be back in stock.  I pulled the trigger on a pair of their Amiga MT tower speaker kits yesterday and I'm now awaiting their arrival.

We'll see how this goes and how they sound. If I'm successful with these, perhaps I'll look in to the Philharmonic BMRs.

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
Well, the Parts Express kits seem to be back in stock.  I pulled the trigger on a pair of their Amiga MT tower speaker kits yesterday and I'm now awaiting their arrival.

We'll see how this goes and how they sound. If I'm successful with these, perhaps I'll look in to the Philharmonic BMRs.
wow, they look nice for under $200 base.
kindms' speakers sound pretty damn nice for the cost. (I think his was under $150 with binding posts etc)
Of course, it is nice to have a soldering teacher, eh?      ;D
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline TheBishop

• Taperssection Regular
I finished assembling the second speaker last night

They still need to break in, but they sound really nice.  Very full bass, and clear highs.  I'm quite happy with them. All told, with extra stuff I bought to finish them, I'm probably in to them for $450. It was a nice little project that I could spend a few evenings on with my kid.

My wife wife wants me to paint them black, but I'm going to have to see if I want to paint the MDF or add a veneer.

I hate that entertainment center, btw.  And pay no attention to that (off-)center channel speaker, it's not being used. And before you ask, yes, that is a laserdisc player.

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
+T   looks solid. Straight black piano finish unless you are a veneer expert. (IMO)
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline TheBishop

• Taperssection Regular
I've never veneered anything, so yep, painting it will be.

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11

I would get some feet for them. Sitting flat on the hardwood floor like that will create a minor but noticeable resonance.

Looks great!
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline TheBishop

• Taperssection Regular
I put felt pads on the bottom of them for now.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com