Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Portable solution for car  (Read 6020 times)

Offline DiggerinVA

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
Portable solution for car
« on: May 10, 2020, 07:14:58 AM »
Well I bought a new car and I need a solution. The car's audio system does not sort by file name(well I have not found reference to it doing it, Subaru Outback 2020) or track number. So I am looking for a portable player that does. Any suggestions.
Sony C38B's --> Lunatec V2-->PMD661
B-3's --> Tinybox 1.5 --> PCM-M10

Offline dyneq

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Portable solution for car
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2020, 09:47:34 AM »
I use a cell phone > Bluetooth.

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2020, 10:15:09 AM »
Are you using Apple CarPlay?
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline DiggerinVA

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2020, 11:28:19 AM »
I don't really want to use the phone, it is a Iphone 6, lacks memory so I never put music on it, streaming not so much, huge library yes.

Offline audBall

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2020, 03:06:54 PM »
Is the issue you’re encountering with a USB drive and built-in radio function?
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2020, 04:11:52 PM »
cheap extra android cellphone or sony A10, either with a big-ass memory card. both have bluetooth as well as line out and can play FLAC as well as high bitrate mp3
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2020, 05:04:24 PM »
I don't have a Subaru (VW for me), but I would think that maybe the way you have your files sorted might be the issue (but I also don't have enough info to say for sure).

On my SD card I have all of my albums in individual files like this:

BAND - YEAR - ALBUM NAME

All of them in the root folder.

I had to re-label each folder, which sucked, but it works.

My point is, I'd investigate how to get your media to play/sort correctly before looking for an external option.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2020, 05:26:50 PM »

On my SD card I have all of my albums in individual files like this:

BAND - YEAR - ALBUM NAME

All of them in the root folder.

I had to re-label each folder, which sucked, but it works.

My point is, I'd investigate how to get your media to play/sort correctly before looking for an external option.

theres some good tagging GUIs like mp3 tag and godfather that can parse tags and rename files and folders

my biggest peeve is people who still use 'disc' tags

a lot of live phish will have disc 1 2 and 3, then tracks 1-10ish on each. so it plays track 1 of each disc... track 2 of each disc, etc. 

i go thru and renumber these all 1-20 or whatever and any player likes it

the sony a10, if its doing this, you can tell it to browse by folder instead of artist/album. when you browse by folder it plays tracks by trackname alphabetically, which solvs it in most cases
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline DiggerinVA

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2020, 06:09:57 PM »
On the stick problem once it is in the folder(those it sorts by file name) it sorts by song name. I have not found out how to get it to play either by track number(in the tags, liveshow tagger is a dream) or file name. I just want to listen to the shows in order. It does have a mini input, labeled iPod and of course bluetooth. The Sony A10 would work but another recorder. I wonder how many I have. Maybe I am over thinking this, an MP3 player that sorts etree or track number would be great, I could use it while I ride my Bicycles too.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 08:11:28 PM by DiggerinVA »

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2020, 01:55:16 PM »
Not a dig at you Digger, but I find it amusing that people will spent $$$ on a taping rig, and then listen to their tapes on a crappy playback system...

I think the real solution is to find a head unit that does what you want, and replace the factory tin box.

Crutchfield, baby...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Online heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2020, 02:53:34 PM »
Crutchfield, baby...

I'll add that Crutchfield makes this sort of thing super easy, with specific instructions and mounts for your particular make/model of vehicle.  If anyone is thinking about changing out their car stereo head unit, don't be intimidated.  It's really easy.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline DiggerinVA

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2020, 06:08:59 PM »
Not a dig at you Digger, but I find it amusing that people will spent $$$ on a taping rig, and then listen to their tapes on a crappy playback system...

I think the real solution is to find a head unit that does what you want, and replace the factory tin box.

Crutchfield, baby...

Terry

This is the first time in my life that I am trying to live with what came with the car. I sold Audio equipment for 15 years. The unit in the car is truly integrated to the car so I am not sure how well that will work, nor do I really want to try. I hope this is the last vehicle I buy.

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2020, 07:23:49 PM »
My newest car is six years old and I just use the aux input and whatever music player I grab that day and it works fine. Can’t control anything thru the cars audio system and I guess that’s what you’re trying to do. I feel your pain on the aftermarket solution. Most new cars these days make it very difficult to integrate any aftermarket stuff.   

Offline DiggerinVA

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2020, 08:07:52 PM »
My newest car is six years old and I just use the aux input and whatever music player I grab that day and it works fine. Can’t control anything thru the cars audio system and I guess that’s what you’re trying to do. I feel your pain on the aftermarket solution. Most new cars these days make it very difficult to integrate any aftermarket stuff.

Any suggestions on players, I think that will be the solution.

Offline audBall

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2020, 08:34:14 PM »
Finding a suitable replacement head unit for a newer ('19-20) Subaru could be tough, at least for a while.  I own a `19 blubaru (different model) and there aren't many suitable replacements I've seen that don't offset out from the face of the dash.  You might have better luck with the Outback, though.

The reason I asked about Apple CarPlay is because my headunit (not as nice/advanced as the Outback's) is light years better for navigation when I use Google Maps through ACP.  Playing music that is on my phone is nice, too, and it can all be controlled from the dash touch screen.  I also use Sirius primarily, due to getting a really cheap plan.  ACP might be limited to iPhone 6S and beyond, though.

Without seeing exactly what's going on (media, file structure, etc.), it's hard to offer suggestions without leaps.

A deep dive into youtube may prove helpful, too.  I've learned a lot about the functionality of my car there.  There's always the the manual.  ;)  I kid. 

Best of luck with figuring out whichever path you take.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 10:35:53 PM by audBall »
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2020, 10:23:09 PM »

Any suggestions on players, I think that will be the solution.
I bought my Mom a fiio X2 (iirc the right model) for her car/Bose standalone speaker system. I loaded it with a couple hundred albums she owned already which were in my archive and then a bunch of live stuff. She digs it. I think it was less than $150. BT connectivity and flac/high res playback 
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline DiggerinVA

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2020, 06:35:17 AM »
Crutchfield, baby...

I'll add that Crutchfield makes this sort of thing super easy, with specific instructions and mounts for your particular make/model of vehicle.  If anyone is thinking about changing out their car stereo head unit, don't be intimidated.  It's really easy.
For giggles I went to Crutchfield to see what they had. Plugged in my information and they came back with they don't recommend replacing the radio in my car. They have zero! HEHE

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2020, 07:13:02 AM »
Crutchfield, baby...

For giggles I went to Crutchfield to see what they had. Plugged in my information and they came back with they don't recommend replacing the radio in my car. They have zero! HEHE

That’s what I was getting at. I have 3 vehicles in my household and only one could take an aftermarket head unit. Any music player will do. I even use old iPods. I guess it depends if 24 bit playback matters to you. If so, look at the FIIO’s.

Offline DiggerinVA

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2020, 08:21:51 AM »
Crutchfield, baby...

That’s what I was getting at. I have 3 vehicles in my household and only one could take an aftermarket head unit. Any music player will do. I even use old iPods. I guess it depends if 24 bit playback matters to you. If so, look at the FIIO’s.
Yep you got it. Documentation sucks so far(it will sort by file name if that is all it has). A music player appears to be the solution. What is most important is probably sorting either by file name (Etree) or Folder then Track Number found in the tagging. 24 Bit would be nice. So I guess FiiO's are the answer. Any version easier for the sorting request? Thank You.

Online heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2020, 09:14:13 AM »
Crutchfield, baby...

I guess the last time I used them was for my old 07 Subaru.  It's a different world now!
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2020, 11:31:35 AM »
Crutchfield, baby...

LOL!  I dug a little deeper and it looks like you're right!  I guess the days of old-fashioned head units is days-gone-by...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline DiggerinVA

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2020, 12:12:01 PM »
Crutchfield, baby...

LOL!  I dug a little deeper and it looks like you're right!  I guess the days of old-fashioned head units is days-gone-by...

Terry

Yea things have changed, from the days of "don't bother with the radio info I am just going to put my on in it".

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2020, 12:51:13 PM »
Crutchfield, baby...

Yep you got it. Documentation sucks so far(it will sort by file name if that is all it has). A music player appears to be the solution. What is most important is probably sorting either by file name (Etree) or Folder then Track Number found in the tagging. 24 Bit would be nice. So I guess FiiO's are the answer. Any version easier for the sorting request? Thank You.
Digger- PM kindms, he has gone through the filenaming/sorting issues with Fiio and can probably help inform you.
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline DiggerinVA

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2020, 05:01:19 PM »
Crutchfield, baby...

Digger- PM kindms, he has gone through the filenaming/sorting issues with Fiio and can probably help inform you.
I will do that. It would be good to know what I am up against. Though stripping the tags maybe a solution for the car. I can't believe I grabbed a untagged mp3 folder.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2020, 06:47:50 PM »

Terry

its funny, my entire opinion on the value of car warranites was turned on its head by my friend (also named Terry) whos a music lover but also big-time car guy. We were on a road trip going to a show having that discussion and he pointed at his infortainment system and said "if that goes out, the car doesnt work, it has the ECM integrated into it... and its about 3 grand to replace. You cant afford to own a car without a warranty these days, they are simply not user-servicable"

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.109 seconds with 49 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com