Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Inexpensive IEMs "Chi-Fi"  (Read 6170 times)

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
Inexpensive IEMs "Chi-Fi"
« on: June 30, 2020, 01:39:14 PM »
I've been following a few subreddits that discuss budget audiophile systems and headphones lately and am considering grabbing a pair of inexpensive IEMS.

These seem to be recommended for a starter pair:

Tin Audio T2
Linsoul BLON BL03
KZ ZS10

I'm currently using these, which sound good (Especially for the price) but I want to upgrade, just because: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CBU0IV8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Anyone have experience with any of these? Removable cable is preferred.
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Inexpensive IEMs "Chi-Fi"
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 08:33:33 AM »
Second the recommendation on Drop.com.  You can score top quality headphones / IEMs for a good discount.  Don't buy the ultra-cheap stuff.

I always liked Etymotics for IEMs, but I prefer my Sennheiser 6XX when listening at home in a quiet setting.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2020, 10:18:50 AM »
Go to Drop.com. and buy there or use it for research.

Tons of IEM options.

$8?  Come on man, buy once/cry once.

I have these and they're fine.

(Note, if you read the comments on the above EDC, you may be put off by comments of failures. I don't use mine every day but only use them at recording sessions at shows. They live in my gear bag and will prolly last years in this service type. YMMV)

The $8 pair are for doing yard work, etc. I have Grado and A/T cans for processing - these are for fun and mostly experimentation. Thanks for the rec. I'll check it out.
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline boomfizzle

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2021, 10:21:20 AM »
I've been following a few subreddits that discuss budget audiophile systems and headphones lately and am considering grabbing a pair of inexpensive IEMS.

These seem to be recommended for a starter pair:

Tin Audio T2
Linsoul BLON BL03
KZ ZS10

I'm currently using these, which sound good (Especially for the price) but I want to upgrade, just because: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CBU0IV8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Anyone have experience with any of these? Removable cable is preferred.

I have the Blon BL03 and the hype is worth it IMO, really nice balance and were my daily drivers for about a year.  Their only drawback is a slight potential fitment issue depending on your ear canal.  Easily worth the $35 or whatever.  Still use them regularly.
Mics: Busman BSC-1 | Nak CM300s | AKG C1000s | AKG C568 EBs | AT853s 4.7k mod | AT2021s | Superlux S502mkii | Superscope EC-3S | Superscope EC-33S | SP-MS-BMC-3 |
Recs: Zoom F8n Pro | Tascam DR-70D | Zoom H6 | Tascam DR-22WL

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • 😈
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2021, 01:29:11 PM »
I have the Linsoul T2, they're just ok. A little bright. I LOVE the MEZE 12 classics, just blow the T2 away. $70 I love the warmth of wood buds, hard to find at this price point.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/meze-12-classics.21749/reviews
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 03:24:45 PM by MakersMarc »
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

SMsound

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2021, 08:06:38 PM »
I have a lot of headphones. My favorite IEM for listening is the SoundMagic E10 or E80. They are cheap ($20-35 for the E10), go on sale sometimes, and they make my $400 headphones go unused until I have to mix something (soundmagic are not flat/transparent for mixing).

They just make music fun to listen to. I have bought I think 6 pairs over the years for myself, friends, etc. (and I wear them everywhere which means I break them occasionally despite the overall build quality). They come with a lot of tips to fit your ears. I like the stock ones and the small ones.

Don't get the 'C' version with the inline volume control---it makes the the two channels sound unmatched for some reason.

They don't at all sound like cheap/consumer headphones. Beats Pro suck in comparison for example.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com