Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Network audio players or Plex  (Read 9108 times)

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
  • Needs to get out more...
Network audio players or Plex
« on: August 22, 2020, 12:16:10 PM »
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 11:58:44 AM by ts »

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
Re: Network audio players
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2020, 06:38:40 PM »
That’s a cool box.
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2020, 10:45:55 PM »
I feel like a broken record, but you can get this done with a Raspberry Pi and still have a bunch of money leftover. 
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2020, 11:45:10 PM »
Looking for something like the Pioneer Elite N50 to use in my HT system but more recent. Would like Airplay, Bluetooth, WiFi etc. under $500. Doesn’t need to “cast” music to other rooms. Thanks.

This looks interesting. No reviews on sound though:

https://www.banggood.com/SMSL-DP3Hi-Res-ES9018Q2C-DAC-Chip-32Bit384Khz-DSD256-Amplifier-Digital-Player-p-1300683.html?utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cpc_organic&gmcCountry=US&utm_content=minha&utm_campaign=minha-us-pc&currency=USD&createTmp=1&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cpc_bgs&utm_content=frank&utm_campaign=frank-ssc-us-all-0418&ad_id=431928166734&ID=3426&cur_warehouse=CN

a lot of decent stuff coming out of China these days, theyve figured out if they can use a chip with good name recognition (ESS 9018 has been around for quite a while but the 90x8 series is pretty acclaimed.) Of course its all in the implementation, but it seems that with chips of that quality, most manufacturers can eek out great performance with minimum additional board space

lots of user reports over at ASR on the DP3

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?search/7823575/&q=DP3&o=relevance

and some tests on some similar-era SMSL products

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/wolfs-measurements-of-smsl-m200-dac.13913/

not state-of-the-art performance, but still probably at least as good as most sub-$500 dacs, esp if a few years old

edit: its funny to see a player in 2020 supporting APE files! i wouldnt have to reencode my early 24-bit shows lol
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 11:51:33 PM by jerryfreak »
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline ts

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2020, 11:41:16 AM »
I feel like a broken record, but you can get this done with a Raspberry Pi and still have a bunch of money leftover.

So I figured I’d ask as this suggestion comes up quite often. Most recently in my Squeezebox replacement thread. So how would a Pi work in my Home Theater room which is nowhere near a PC and I don’t have a spare Laptop. Can an iPad be used to operate it?

What I’m currently thinking of doing is using power line adapters to get an Ethernet connection form my router or switch to my HT setup and then use my iPad to control listening via Airplay or Bluetooth. I’m thinking my two best options are to replace my HT receiver with a more modern unit, all the connections I need, or add a device like the one I linked in the first post. Unless there’s another option I’m not aware of. Just don’t see how the Pi will work the way I want it to.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 11:58:57 AM by ts »

Offline heathen

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2020, 12:06:13 PM »

So I figured I’d ask as this suggestion comes up quite often. Most recently in my Squeezebox replacement thread. So how would a Pi work in my Home Theater room which is nowhere near a PC and I don’t have a spare Laptop. Can an iPad be used to operate it?

What I’m currently thinking of doing is using power line adapters to get an Ethernet connection form my router or switch to my HT setup and then use my iPad to control listening via Airplay or Bluetooth. I’m thinking my two best options are to replace my HT receiver with a more modern unit, all the connections I need, or add a device like the one I linked in the first post. Unless there’s another option I’m not aware of. Just don’t see how the Pi will work the way I want it to.

You could connect the Pi to your network over wifi or ethernet.  You could then use the iPad to operate it (at least with the Pi distros I've used, like Volumio).  You can even use your phone to operate it.  A Pi could be used in place of the device you originally linked, but it's not going to replace your HT receiver (neither of them will).  I don't have experience with the modern HT receivers, but I'm pretty sure a network player is pretty standard these days.  That would be the more expensive option, but if you're looking to replace it anyway you might kill two birds with one stone.  If you don't want to replace the receiver, a Pi is at least worth some research because it would save you hundreds of dollars over that DP3.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2020, 06:51:31 PM »
Would you consider making a tutorial DIY build thread to help everyone visualize and proof of concept?  If there's already one out there would like to see links.
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline heathen

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2020, 07:22:07 PM »
Would you consider making a tutorial DIY build thread to help everyone visualize and proof of concept?  If there's already one out there would like to see links.

I would, but my Pi is currently in full-time service as an NAS.  There are definitely a lot of step-by-step guides out there online.  Not to be the guy who just tells everyone to Google it, but there are some good guides out there.  I think I have some bookmarked at home, so maybe I'll post those at least to save people some Googling time.

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2020, 07:38:58 PM »
Hell, you don't even need a Pi. 

Just sign up for a Plex account and get yourself an Amazon Firestick.  Stream that shit anywhere and to any device. 

We won't talk about how you are storing/backing up your data because that is where you can go Pi, go enterprise, or anything in between.
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline ts

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2020, 01:46:15 PM »
Giving Plex a try. Problem is my music is spread over 8 hard drives and nothing is tagged and usually no artwork. So whatever platform I end up using it’s going to look like crap. :shrug:

Offline rigpimp

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2020, 06:16:22 PM »
Sort Plex libraries by folder, problem fixed.

I use a tagging program to at least get an artist name on a directory so I can shuffle stuff at a minimum.
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2020, 06:43:44 PM »
Giving Plex a try. Problem is my music is spread over 8 hard drives and nothing is tagged and usually no artwork. So whatever platform I end up using it’s going to look like crap. :shrug:

Plex Lifetime subscription on sale today for $88

https://www.plex.tv/plex-pass/purchase/

Use promo code:   8PLEXPASS8
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline ts

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2020, 10:43:30 AM »

I use a tagging program to at least get an artist name on a directory so I can shuffle stuff at a minimum.

I have individual folders for every recoding with at least etree standard naming. Better than nothing, I guess. Is this what you’re referring to? No track names and no artwork for any boots, so no matter what platform I use for playback, the files look like crap! Dl’ed live recordings from nugs or whatever and commercial stuff looks great of course.

Offline rigpimp

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2020, 10:58:18 AM »

I have individual folders for every recoding with at least etree standard naming. Better than nothing, I guess. Is this what you’re referring to? No track names and no artwork for any boots, so no matter what platform I use for playback, the files look like crap! Dl’ed live recordings from nugs or whatever and commercial stuff looks great of course.
There is a difference between etree standard naming and meta tags.

Plex has a huge database so if you have something named and they see similarities like file size or hash they'll tag it in Plex but not the physical file.  If you tag the physical file you can set that to defeat anything from their system.

I have 100's of 1000's of files.  My most untagged collection is live concerts but I occasionally use metax to tag those.

For audio I use mp3tag and a script to tag albums by venue and date.  I can sort through 30 years of GD by folder without a problem just based on etree names. I either have venue added by tagging using live show tagger in foobar or forcing it manually.  It's a labor of love but for the most part I point Plex at an artist and let it shuffle anyway

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2020, 11:09:17 AM »
can you give the rundown on plex streaming from your own collection vs plextv vs plex movies etc is available, and what is free?

do people share stuff or are their repositories for streaming other peoples content, and does that require a plex subscription?

thanks
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.115 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com