Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Network audio players or Plex  (Read 9107 times)

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Network audio players
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2020, 03:07:23 PM »
Sort Plex libraries by folder, problem fixed.

I use a tagging program to at least get an artist name on a directory so I can shuffle stuff at a minimum.

I have individual folders for every recoding with at least etree standard naming. Better than nothing, I guess. Is this what you’re referring to? No track names and no artwork for any boots, so no matter what platform I use for playback, the files look like crap! Dl’ed live recordings from nugs or whatever and commercial stuff looks great of course.
There is a difference between etree standard naming and meta tags.

Plex has a huge database so if you have something named and they see similarities like file size or hash they'll tag it in Plex but not the physical file.  If you tag the physical file you can set that to defeat anything from their system.

I have 100's of 1000's of files.  My most untagged collection is live concerts but I occasionally use metax to tag those.

For audio I use mp3tag and a script to tag albums by venue and date.  I can sort through 30 years of GD by folder without a problem just based on etree names. I either have venue added by tagging using live show tagger in foobar or forcing it manually.  It's a labor of love but for the most part I point Plex at an artist and let it shuffle anyway

My music is so unorganized that Plex can’t even find it. I pointed it to 8 drives and all it found was my commercial Beatles collection and some Phish, nothing else. Something to do this winter since there most likely won’t be anything else to do. I really need to go thru show folders and strip the flacs out. 16 and 24 bit and move those only to SSD’s and then point Plex or whatever to the SSD’s. It’s a daunting task. Thanks for the tips!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 08:48:14 AM by ts »

Offline ts

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2020, 09:31:17 AM »
can you give the rundown on plex streaming from your own collection vs plextv vs plex movies etc is available, and what is free?

do people share stuff or are their repositories for streaming other peoples content, and does that require a plex subscription?

thanks

Sorry, got sidetracked for a bit. I had to activate Plex which cost $4.99. It worked freely on all my Roku devices but wouldn’t play nice with any IOS devices for all my music without the $4.99 activation. I don’t know about movies or TV. I really didn’t get it for that. I’m using it for photos and music only.

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2020, 08:49:03 PM »
can you give the rundown on plex streaming from your own collection vs plextv vs plex movies etc is available, and what is free?

do people share stuff or are their repositories for streaming other peoples content, and does that require a plex subscription?

thanks

Sorry I never saw your reply Jamie. 

Plex subscriptions basically just support the devs.  I'd call it shareware but all features on it are free.  I barely use it for what it is worth because I only stream 99% from my own collection.  Free movies and tv have ads and that is how it is paid for.  Allegedly it also has a PVR function that you can hook up to a STB but I do not do TV for the most part.

Yes, if you have a bunch of garbage files on a myriad of drives then Plex will not recognize a lot without some strong organization skills.  Have you tried to change the order of metadata agents? I had to flip the Personal Media Albums to the top. 

I will admit that I do use Filebot (rename video files including episodes), MetaX (movie metadata & covers), and Mp3tag (add an album tag that is "date - venue" from foobar) to organize stuff.  Some of my organization is dragging ALL of one band and getting the band's name into the metadata tags, at a minimum.  Then I can just tell PLex to shuffle all Grateful Dead and it'll play for a century without repeating a show.  LOL

I think that for metadata Plex pulls everything from everyone but there is not "repository" like in Kodi.  Everyone with a server can share their media server with anyone that has a Plex account.  It is permission-based so they only see what you want them to but it all goes against your broadband upload speeds.  I give my family access to movies/TV/Music but limit the video streams to 720p to preserve bandwidth.

Hopefully, this helps some.  I included a screen snip of how my plex looks

Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline ts

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2020, 11:34:20 AM »
 No gapless playback on Roku. Glad I didn’t subscribe.  ::)

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
Re: Network audio players or Plex
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2020, 10:16:46 AM »
RE: Plex metadata etc

I found when first setting it up it was frustrating with regards to how it cataloged and presented certain movies, tv shows etc

I spent a decent amount of time on their help pages. They have a pretty specific folder / naming structure with regards to compiling episodic stuff or multipart movies etc

but once you get the hang of it not a big deal. For music i didnt really bother just because there is too much and I dont necessarily use plex as my primary playback unless im goofing around in the living room

Another option is the built in apps for music movies etc on a synology if you are using one for external storage etc. i have found their apps to work really well on multiple
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2020, 05:16:10 PM »

That's too bad.  I didn't even realize that was a problem.  I use the desktop site, android app, and a fire stick and they all playback gapless and have for a long time.  As far as I can recall anyway
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline ts

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2020, 09:00:18 AM »

That's too bad.  I didn't even realize that was a problem.  I use the desktop site, android app, and a fire stick and they all playback gapless and have for a long time.  As far as I can recall anyway

Yea it’s too bad. My main use was for casting music from my PC to my HTR via a Roku box. I’ll still use it for TV and movies.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com