Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: projector vs TV  (Read 2084 times)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
projector vs TV
« on: September 15, 2020, 08:36:48 PM »
just kncked out a wall and repurposed a bedroom into an extended living room/TV room

the ideal place for a TV is in front of a window

how would a projector mounted on a wall 11 feet from the screen fare vs say a 50ish inch screen

does it wash out in bright ambient light?

**note: i just realized we have a HT subforum, mod please feel free to move it there**
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 08:39:05 PM by jerryfreak »
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline bty670

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: projector vs TV
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2020, 08:29:10 AM »
I work in AV for the Government & we have been going through and replacing all projectors / screens with TVs. As prices for TVs have come down so much compared to years ago, it just made more sense for us to buy those & wall mount them.

I haven't done much research into top of the line ($$) projectors, which I am sure there are many great options, but in my personal experience the TV has been much preferred by the end user. Definitely more of a wash out with the projector vs TV (again, just in my experience). Good luck with the project!

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2020, 12:50:02 PM »
11 feet from the viewing area is going to be really large. at 11 ft my projector is throwing 8ftx6ft. of course you can dial that in and reduce etc.

I have very limited experience with them and mine was only like 150.00.

But a screen that drops from the ceiling in front of the window might be a cool way to "hide" the tv. the biggest issue is projector placement so far as my experience has been

I also use mine in really loose no need to make the wife happy with the way it looks space.

They have many high end ones that certainly can be used in brighter light etc.

if i was getting a TV i would be looking at the sony OLED A9 series
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 01:29:38 PM »
im looking at some of the 1080p models in the $300-$700 range.

i really dont watch tv, nearly ever, unless my wife is watching and im in the room. shes been gone over a week and it hasnt even been turned on. She already has a half decent one, this is more for webcasts and stuff which i see more of in our future

thats more of a listening room than a TV room but it could be cool for movies in the right setting

i really like the sound of playing music in that room at a louder level, it fills the better part of the house with a uniform, easy to hear level. the right sized room with the right resonance takes the edge off the sound and makes it fuller to my ears
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline dyneq

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2020, 02:16:45 PM »
One thing I wish I had paid more attention to with my projector was fan noise. You can find DIY solutions for louder, cheaper models (basically building a box with vents to surround the projector) or pay more for a quieter model. For live streams, no big deal, but during quiet passages for film, it's a bummer.

I recommend using one of the calculators online to model different projectors so you can get an idea of what the ideal distance is from the screen for a given lens. It's nice to have the projector behind you, but those lenses tend to be more costly. An even better setup to minimize noise, if your space allows, is a rear projection screen.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2020, 02:32:44 PM »
thanks for the input

i was a complete n00b when i started the thread and did find some good resources in the meantime

Offline dyneq

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2020, 03:28:10 PM »
Forgot to add: I do use a screen now because it was found for cheap at a thrift store, but prior to that we painted the wall using a paint recipe found online. It worked great and I never felt like it was lacking for blacks, etc. If interested, LMK and I'll try to find it.

And, I never answered your original question! I find it hard to go back to a TV now for films and newer shows. I don't watch much sports, but it is also so much better on my 92" screen (provided you are sitting at the optimal distance from the screen). For most live streams, I'm not typically interested in focusing on the visuals but for some really beautifully produced concert films (e.g. Rush in Rio, Stop Making Sense, Heart of Gold, In the Flesh) it's definitely superior and more immersive (for me) than a TV.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2020, 03:31:38 PM »
decent retractable screens are like $100 and like i said theres a window there so its kinda needed

Offline seethreepo

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Resist Or Serve
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2020, 07:07:07 PM »
 Projector for the win. Biggest and best bang for the buck. I have a top of the Epson and love it.
"Never heard anyone say that music was the thing that fucked up their day" 
-Chris Robinson 1996-09-24

real recorder > phone
 external mics > Internal mics
 FOB > Taper Section
 HATS > better than Denied

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2020, 07:20:15 PM »
Projector for the win. Biggest and best bang for the buck. I have a top of the Epson and love it.

yeah im on the fense for going with a TOTL  for $800 or just getting a $300 decent one and waitin for new tech to trickle down in price

from what i gather youre in for a >$100 bulb every few years, right?

Offline seethreepo

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Resist Or Serve
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2020, 11:48:59 AM »
Bulb replacement depends on use , I try and limit use to movies and sports, regular tv is done for the most part on a regular tv.
but overall benefit especially in terms of real estate /quality  for me outweighs  future maintenance costs.  If you like the theater experience (I do) its the closest by far to that. 

"Never heard anyone say that music was the thing that fucked up their day" 
-Chris Robinson 1996-09-24

real recorder > phone
 external mics > Internal mics
 FOB > Taper Section
 HATS > better than Denied

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com