Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Home Stereo Amplifier  (Read 7185 times)

Offline Rob D.

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
Home Stereo Amplifier
« on: October 06, 2020, 04:28:03 PM »
I'm in the market. I'm looking for the simple, only using it for audio, no HDMI or USB needed. I've got my eyes on this but checking if anyone here knows better or can find better prices. After all, this will be replacing a Pioneer receiver that I've been using since 1999  ;)

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-S501BL-Natural-Integrated-Amplifier/dp/B00MXUCRG0/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1PYL5QN9GX1YX&dchild=1&keywords=yamaha+s-501&qid=1602015937&sprefix=yamaha+s-5%2Caps%2C211&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-T-S500BL-AM-Tuner-Black/dp/B0044779IG/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1AYARBCZ86F46&dchild=1&keywords=yamaha+tuner&qid=1602016065&sprefix=yamaha+tuner%2Caps%2C213&sr=8-1
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 04:39:39 PM by Rob D. »

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: Home Stereo Amplifier
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2020, 07:52:35 PM »
The links show one stereo integrated amplifier (preamp and main amp all in one package) and a separate digital tuner.
Gear looks fine, but I don't know much about what constitutes a great tuner.
I always liked my (now antique!) Nikko NT-790 analog tuner with LED indicators for tuning assist. I see a half dozen on ebay for under a hundred bucks. It was made in late 1970's when FM was just about the same as now, for all I know.
Do you have a good antenna for the FM?
Roof array, dipole, rabbit ears? I chopped a retired RJ11 phone cord into an FM Dipole recently and it works okay.
An awful lot of modern gear for home use is multi channel for home theatre, so there is a lot less "shelf space" for plain stereo models.

sample, recorded via Nikko NT-790 > Zoom H2
https://archive.org/details/Cracker2007-11-08.FM
Ps my daily driver Denon integrated amp is the PMA-520 I got in 1989.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2020, 10:26:07 PM »
If I had that kind of money to spend on a Receiver/PreAmp, I might look at the Jolida 301...

I've always wanted to try toobs...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline buckster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2020, 03:02:15 PM »
If you're looking for simple, then an all in one receiver then, rather than separates??  The integrated + tuner you posted is around $800, is that your max budget??  How many watts/channel you looking for??

Offline raymonda

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2020, 03:56:36 PM »
You might consider this and save money.

https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=195404.0

Offline Rob D.

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2020, 04:23:13 PM »
Thanks for the respnoses, nuch appreciated. I'm looking to get 80 - 100 watts and it will need to drive two sets of speakers. I can live without the tuner as I *never* listen to the radio unless in a car. But my wife does.  :)

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2020, 06:10:14 PM »
The Yamaha A-S501 is an EXCELLENT choice.  It punches way above its price point.  Also the loudness is very well implemented...I only wish more amp manufacturers did it (you can completely bypass it, of course, if you don't want to use it).  I'd get this one in a heartbeat (I've heard one in person and can confirm it sounds great).
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline morst

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2020, 12:14:35 AM »
This only seems practical if you only need ONE analog input maybe? And that would be the FM tuner?

"Really nice integrated. Lots of digital input, USB and 1 analog. Excellent condition. "

Offline Rob D.

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2020, 04:24:58 PM »
The Yamaha A-S501 is an EXCELLENT choice.  It punches way above its price point.  Also the loudness is very well implemented...I only wish more amp manufacturers did it (you can completely bypass it, of course, if you don't want to use it).  I'd get this one in a heartbeat (I've heard one in person and can confirm it sounds great).

Did you get to hear it with the Pure Direct button engaged? I was reading the manual and see that if this feature is on, the bass, treble, balance and loudness controls do not function while the Pure Direct function is turned on.

Offline heathen

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2020, 04:43:13 PM »

Did you get to hear it with the Pure Direct button engaged? I was reading the manual and see that if this feature is on, the bass, treble, balance and loudness controls do not function while the Pure Direct function is turned on.

Yeah, I've been able to spend several days with one of those.  (I had one but returned it only because I decided to go with separate preamp and power amps.  If I was sticking with an integrated I'd still have the Yamaha.)  I highly recommend it.  Pure Direct is great if you want the shortest signal path possible, but I highly recommend spending some time trying the loudness feature if you get one of these.  There's valid science behind it (the Fletcher-Munson effect) and they implement it very well (basically, the curve changes depending on how high you have the volume).

In case it matters, the reason I went with separates is because my speakers are on the inefficient side so I wanted to err on the side of MORE POWER for them.  So I have two monoblock power amps that are 700 watts each.  For most speakers, though, the Yamaha would be plenty.  (If I'm honest it probably would be enough for mine, but I couldn't resist the siren song of 700 watt amps.)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 04:45:52 PM by heathen »
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline buckster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2020, 02:25:46 PM »
And the next Yamaha up from the A-S501 is the A-S701 @ $800 for 100 w/ch.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_022AS701B/Yamaha-A-S701-Black.html?tp=34948

Offline raymonda

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2020, 05:04:19 PM »
This only seems practical if you only need ONE analog input maybe? And that would be the FM tuner?

"Really nice integrated. Lots of digital input, USB and 1 analog. Excellent condition. "

You only need one analog. If you have more than one analog source you just add a line in selector switch box.

Offline morst

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2020, 06:02:08 PM »
You only need one analog. If you have more than one analog source you just add a line in selector switch box.
I guess that would be fine for non-critical monitoring

Offline Rob D.

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2020, 12:41:52 PM »
I did decide on the two Yamaha componets, thanks for all the recommendations!  :coolguy:

What is the best type of FM antenna to use on the tuner? It came with one and it works but curious if anyone uses any signal boosts or special antennas?

Offline heathen

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2020, 12:43:45 PM »
I'll be curious to hear what you think of that integrated amp.  Also what you think of the loudness feature (but make certain you set it correctly to begin with...I think there are instructions in the manual).

Offline Rob D.

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2020, 02:56:48 PM »
I'll dig into the manual and play with the loudness tonight.

I do love the simplicity of this setup. This drives sound in the family room (where the hardware is) with a stero pair of speakers as well as another pair just outside on blacony. The tiny box on top of tuner is a Sonos Port that enables the amp the drive the same source to wired speakers and wireless Sonos speakers in other rooms on different floors. As mentioned, I'd been using a Pioneer home theater recevier since I bought it in 1999. It had a lot of buttons on the panel and when switching between CD, radio, turntable, and aux in (iPod), it was always a challenge to make it work or dial it in. And after every time struggling to switch the input, never fully understanding which/what buttons I engaged to get the signal! I should've done this a looooong time ago  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 02:58:28 PM by Rob D. »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com