Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AutoEq (equalizing headphone frequency responses automatically)  (Read 3448 times)

Offline dyneq

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
AutoEq (equalizing headphone frequency responses automatically)
« on: October 30, 2020, 01:50:33 PM »
I've shared this in another thread where someone was looking for neutral studio headphones, but I enjoy it so much for all of my listening I thought I would create a dedicated thread for those who are interested in applying automatic EQ to headphones.

First, here is the root project that provides the curves:
AutoEq https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/blob/master/README.md

The AutoEq project contains over 2500 EQ profiles for many popular headphones. Basically, they use pinnae-mounted microphones to measure a headphone's frequency response and then derive a paremetric EQ profile to achieve the flattest possible response from them. Check here first to see if your headphones have an EQ profile available before you jump in.

The AutoEq page has instructions for various OSs. I'm currently using it (on Windows 10) with the following playback chain. Equalizer APO > HeSuVi (AutoEq profile applied here) > ODAC > Grado 225. Sounds great!

Equalizer APO is a real-time EQ that works within the Windows audio subsystem. HeSuVi is a GUI that includes the AutoEq profiles as well as some virtualization/surround stuff that I turn off. You don't have to stick with the AutoEq profile; you can tweak and save custom profiles if you wish (although you would probably just use your preferred player EQ for that).

If you're on Windows, you can follow the instructions on the HeSuVi wiki here to get started.

Offline dyneq

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: AutoEq (equalizing headphone frequency responses automatically)
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2021, 04:40:06 PM »
Bumping to reflect that I've changed my AutoEq chain so that it's simpler on Windows and I now have Linux dialed in.

Windows 10: Source > Equalizer APO (with Grado SR225 GraphicEQ.txt) > ODAC > Grado SR225
Linux: Source > PulseEffects (with Grado SR225 ParametricEQ.txt parameters entered manually) > ODAC > Grado SR225

This is all free software, so if you're curious at all about what your headphones would sound like flattened (as far as that is possible, of course), I'd encourage you to give it a try. You can, of course, tweak it from there to your heart's content.

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: AutoEq (equalizing headphone frequency responses automatically)
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2021, 04:55:56 PM »
Here's a big question I have about this on Windows: Will render you unable to use ASIO and/or add significant latency to the output when playing MIDI instruments?

EDIT: I found the answer. Unfortunately, this means I can't use it for live monitoring.
- the application must not bypass the system effect infrastructure
(APIs like ASIO or WASAPI exclusive mode can not be used)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 05:07:59 PM by voltronic »
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.044 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com