Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Oppo 205 S/PDIF 96/24 question  (Read 4131 times)

Offline noam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Oppo 205 S/PDIF 96/24 question
« on: June 13, 2021, 12:13:17 AM »
My Oppo 205 does not output 96kHz/24-bit through the coaxial output - it down-samples it to 48/16.

My old Oppo 93 does output 96/24.

Is this by design? I tried every setting in the menu, it still won't output 96/24. It outputs 96/24 for the first split second of playback, then switches to 48/16.

My 93 is connected to the 205 via HDMI's. The 205 does output from the coax 96/24 it gets from the 93, but when I put the same 96/24 disc in the 205 it outputs only 48/16. 

Offline jefflester

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Oppo 205 S/PDIF 96/24 question
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2021, 04:51:01 AM »
pg 60 of the manual:
NOTE•Due to copyright restrictions and bandwidth limitations, SACD audio cannot be sent through the  coaxial/optical  audio  output,  and  the  high  resolution  audio  on  DVD-Audio  and  Blu-ray discs will be sent out at reduced resolution. Details can be found on page 15.

http://download.oppodigital.com/UDP20X/UDP-205_User_Manual_English_V1.0.0.pdf
DPA4061 HEB -> R-09 / AT943 -> CA-UGLY -> R-09
AKG CK63 -> nBob actives -> Baby NBox -> R-09/DR2d
AKG CK63 -> AKG C460B -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII
Line Audio CM4/Superlux S502/Samson C02/iSK Little Gem/Sennheiser E609/Shure SM57 -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII (multitracked band recordings)

Offline noam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2021, 07:48:10 AM »
pg 60 of the manual:
NOTE•Due to copyright restrictions and bandwidth limitations, SACD audio cannot be sent through the  coaxial/optical  audio  output,  and  the  high  resolution  audio  on  DVD-Audio  and  Blu-ray discs will be sent out at reduced resolution. Details can be found on page 15.

http://download.oppodigital.com/UDP20X/UDP-205_User_Manual_English_V1.0.0.pdf

Thank you.

That's really sad. After using the Oppo 205 in this configuration 205>monoblocks through XLR's>speakers for 3 years, I realized (measured) that the 205's DAC/preamp is a POS that doesn't output (Through XLR's) deep bass or more than 11kHz. I inserted the  RME Signal Converter (ADI-2 DAC FS) between the Oppo and the monoblocks - so much better.

So the 205 isn't even useful as a transport.

Is there a blu-ray player that outputs 96/24 via S/PDIF?

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2021, 09:55:47 PM »
Neither my BDP-80 or 93 will output the audio from SACD or DVD Audio thru the optical or coax outputs into a stereo amp. You have to use the analog outs on the players or an external DAC with analog outs. They'll pass high res audio from burned DVD's at 24/whatever but no commercial stuff.

I listen to all my SACD's, DVD Audio and Blu Ray audio on an OPPO BDP-93>HDMI out>Yamaha 5.1 receiver and burned DVD's with 24/48 or 24/96 files on an OPPO BDP-80>SPDIF out to integrated 2 channel amp at full resolution. Also play regular CD's on the BDP-80. No problems on either setup.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 11:09:28 AM by ts »

Offline One Cylinder

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2021, 04:28:24 PM »
Are the SACDs you mentioned hybrid discs (they have both a SACD layer & a CD layer) or do they have just the SACD layer? I ask as I wasn't aware the signal from SACD could be carried over HDMI.

I listen to all my SACD's, DVD Audio and Blu Ray audio on an OPPO BDP-93>HDMI out>Yamaha 5.1 receiver and burned DVD's with 24/48 or 24/96 files on an OPPO BDP-80>SPDIF out to integrated 2 channel amp at full resolution. Also play regular CD's on the BDP-80. No problems on either setup.
Schoeps MK4(x2) MK21(x2)
Schoeps CMC6(x4) CMC1K(x2)
Sonosax SX-M2, Grace Design ACM Lunatec V3
Roland OCM R-44

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2021, 11:12:07 AM »
Glad you brought this up. I'm checking all my SACD's. Slowly. Most appear to be hybrid. What I do know is the DVD Audio discs I have do play thru HDMI but not coax or optical. Same with BluRay audio. I guess that makes sense.  :facepalm:

Are the SACDs you mentioned hybrid discs (they have both a SACD layer & a CD layer) or do they have just the SACD layer? I ask as I wasn't aware the signal from SACD could be carried over HDMI.

Offline One Cylinder

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2021, 04:40:50 AM »
Assuming your Oppo has the same digital outputs as the Oppo BDP-105, its digital coax output (and likely its digital optical output as well,) passes WAV & FLAC signals via s/pdif. In theory you should be able to play any recording that's captured in WAV or FLAC format though those two outputs - the stipulation being the signal-receiving limitations of your preamp, or your integrated amp, or whatever piece of stereo gear that's on the receiving end of the digital signal. Many older preamps and integrated amps are incapable of accepting incoming digital signals with high resolution rates. 

Save for watching movies via my DVD players my experience w/ HDMI is pretty limited. But I do have quite a few commercially released (?) DVD-Audio discs & have never encountered any issues playing them via my BDP-105 > coax digital cable > Anthem integrated amplifier, or via any of the other optical disc players with DVD-A playing capability I've owned in the past. I only listen to stereo layer of my DVD-A discs though, and have never tried play the 5.1 layer on the ones that have them. Perhaps your DVD-Audio discs aren't currently playable via your Oppo's digital coax output is because the unit's digi output is set to 5.1? Could also be that the piece of stereo gear on the receiving end of the digital signal can't do 5.1. (Could also be both issues.) If haven't done so already, perhaps take a look at how those two pieces of currently configured for outputting & receiving the 2.0 (the stereo layer) of DVD-A discs via their respective digital coax output & inputs.

Glad you brought this up. I'm checking all my SACD's. Slowly. Most appear to be hybrid. What I do know is the DVD Audio discs I have do play thru HDMI but not coax or optical. Same with BluRay audio. I guess that makes sense.  :facepalm:

Schoeps MK4(x2) MK21(x2)
Schoeps CMC6(x4) CMC1K(x2)
Sonosax SX-M2, Grace Design ACM Lunatec V3
Roland OCM R-44

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com