Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: headphone recommendations needed  (Read 8272 times)

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • my list
headphone recommendations needed
« on: July 06, 2021, 05:14:04 PM »
Looking for recommendations on some new cans.  My trusty sennheiser hd 280 pro have developed a pretty nasty crackle.  Not looking to break the bank.  Thought about just getting another set of the same but there are some AKG's at the same price point. They get light use editing and sometimes listening to vinyl.  I have never needed a headphone amp in the past and would like to keep it that way....
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
Re: headphone recommendations needed
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2021, 06:21:10 PM »
I enjoy my AKG k701, Beyer 880's, and Hifiman HE-4XX, but I use headphone amps....
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2021, 07:55:31 PM »

I replaced my hd280 that i'd used for 15 years with a pair of Beyerdynamic DT880. I like them a lot  Same use - some track splitting and listening to records late at night. My interface for my desktop drives them alright but not to high levels which is fine with me.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2021, 09:00:49 AM »
Lots of folks on the FB group recommended the Sony MDR 7506 so that's what I went with.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2021, 10:35:59 AM »
I used Sony MDR-V6 (more or less identical predecessor to 7506) for years since the mid 80's.  They are good reliable headphones, more or less an industry standard, and provide some isolation.  Nice that they fold up relatively compactly for over-ear type closed-back phones.  I still have them stored away somewhere although in need of new pads, primarily because all my other over-ears are open-backed.

Headphone preference is a very personal thing.  The AKG K701 has too much treble peak for me, for example.  Just not a good fit with my ear-canal resonance I suppose.  I'm more of a Sennheiser house sound guy.  The Mass-drop HD-6XX is what I'd look at if shopping for a replacement for my open-backed Senns today.  Have been long curious about Beyer 880 and Hifiman HE-4XX but haven't found the chance to really give them a good listen.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Liquid Meat

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2021, 01:22:55 PM »
I have several of the ones mentioned above. I enjoy all of them for different functions.

I use my MDR7506 for critical listening, Hifiman HE400 for casual listening as I like the openness they have. The 880s I use for casual listening as well. They are more bottom-end heavy in the system I use them on, and are my go-to with jazz stuff personally.

I don't think I'd feel bad about any of these are my only pair.

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2021, 02:43:25 PM »
I used Sony MDR-V6 (more or less identical predecessor to 7506) for years since the mid 80's.  They are good reliable headphones, more or less an industry standard, and provide some isolation.  Nice that they fold up relatively compactly for over-ear type closed-back phones.  I still have them stored away somewhere although in need of new pads, primarily because all my other over-ears are open-backed.

Headphone preference is a very personal thing.  The AKG K701 has too much treble peak for me, for example.  Just not a good fit with my ear-canal resonance I suppose.  I'm more of a Sennheiser house sound guy.  The Mass-drop HD-6XX is what I'd look at if shopping for a replacement for my open-backed Senns today.  Have been long curious about Beyer 880 and Hifiman HE-4XX but haven't found the chance to really give them a good listen.
I'm on my second pair of V6's (first got stolen) and I love them for critical monitoring, but don't find them to be overly "pleasant" for recreational listening.
Had a pair of old AKG K44 which I found more pleasant, but a bit less accurate than the V6 sets. One side conked out though and they don't seem easy to repair.
Sony V600 are smaller "on the ear" phones if you don't want as much isolation, I used them in the field for a few years before deciding that I can't monitor in the field with headphones anyhow.
Had a pair of old Sennheiser 414 "on the ear" phones which were a favorite for pleasure listening, although they don't mask outside noises due to the on-ear design.

Lots of folks on the FB group recommended the Sony MDR 7506 so that's what I went with.

I thought 7506 was a V6 with juiced bass for DJs but it looks like it's got less bass in some reviews?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 02:48:03 PM by morst »
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2021, 10:10:53 AM »
The Senn 414 is a classic I've never heard, but have heard good things about from folks who's opinion I value.  I've long wondered how it compares to the later Senn HD5XX through HD6XX range currently in production.

Classic yellow foam pads on your 414's morst?
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline morst

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2021, 02:54:07 PM »
The Senn 414 is a classic I've never heard, but have heard good things about from folks who's opinion I value.  I've long wondered how it compares to the later Senn HD5XX through HD6XX range currently in production.

They're long gone but yes, yellow ear pads. WAIT sorry they were the 424's not 414's, I now believe.

I may have bought them along with a yellow plastic Sports Walkman in December 1984, and picked up King Crimson Three Of A Perfect Pair to listen over and over until I got home, since they all matched.

https://twitter.com/KLatremouille/status/1146042792306569216/photo/1

(Mine was the pushbutton unit lower left.)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2021, 06:11:06 PM »
I can almost hear it now.
..and imagine an adjacent cabinet containing Busman mics.

Still rockin' one of these on occasion-

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2021, 05:33:54 PM »

They're long gone but yes, yellow ear pads. WAIT sorry they were the 424's not 414's, I now believe.

I may have bought them along with a yellow plastic Sports Walkman in December 1984, and picked up King Crimson Three Of A Perfect Pair to listen over and over until I got home, since they all matched.

https://twitter.com/KLatremouille/status/1146042792306569216/photo/1

(Mine was the pushbutton unit lower left.)

Si'

https://www.tonepublications.com/old-school/sennheiser-hd-414-and-424/

I had a few of both, they had a repair Depot somewhere near Broadway and Canal St. in downtown.
I remember a pair which was ....shock! ... Blue foam on white band
The drivers pop out with a small screw driver.

Try Grado SR-80 if you have the chance, they have a sound that some find irresistible.

"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline morst

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2021, 07:28:49 PM »

I have heard that Grado are not comfortable to wear.

Try Grado SR-80 if you have the chance, they have a sound that some find irresistible.

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2021, 02:41:16 PM »

I have heard that Grado are not comfortable to wear.

You can bend the headband to reduce the clamping force and add a pad, which helps. I don't like their ear pads though. Very itchy.
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Online voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2021, 04:33:22 PM »
I owned first-gen Grado SR60s for a long time, and they were not comfortable until I bought a set of replacement foam ear cups (not pads) intended for the 80s. Opened the highs up a bit also.

Nothing beats the comfort of my Senn HD650s and they are outstanding cans. They need a good deal of juice to drive them loud though, so maybe not what Gordon is looking for.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2021, 10:27:05 AM »
I have the MDR V6 and the have been great for the money!

Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• Oceana North America
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2021, 09:10:02 AM »
Guitar Center had the HD-559's and the superlight  HD-25's  both for sub-$100 ea.
and the HD-600 for under $300 !

Dang there are a lot of great choices out there
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

- Fran Lebowitz

Offline ashevillain

• Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2021, 03:55:53 PM »
Out of lurk mode wondering why no mention of ATH-M50's in here(?) and then I go to their website and see they've been discontinued! Wish I would have bought another pair a few months ago when I was considering it. Almost all of the vinyl that covers the foam headband has flaked off. 🤷‍♂️

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2021, 04:48:10 PM »
Out of lurk mode wondering why no mention of ATH-M50's in here(?) and then I go to their website and see they've been discontinued! Wish I would have bought another pair a few months ago when I was considering it. Almost all of the vinyl that covers the foam headband has flaked off. 🤷‍♂️

They've been "upgraded" to the ATH-M50x, which has a detachable headphone cable. I own a pair and quite like them, though the bass is hyped.
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline ashevillain

• Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2021, 11:47:14 AM »
The M50x's have coexisted along with the regular M50's for years. I've read a review or two that claim recent versions sound different but haven't heard them myself. I don't really want a detachable cable (or the price increase) so I guess I'll keep using my current pair until they fall completely apart.

I'm not sure what "the bass is hyped" means.

I think the M50's have a pretty flat curve overall and I've (anecdotally) seen countless engineers and musicians who swear by them. They are pretty popular in home studio setups and professional recording studios.

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• Oceana North America
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2021, 10:23:52 PM »
Drop.com is doing the Sennheiser HD-590 reboot again
Very controlled and accurate, especially if recabled and fed balanced audio
For $120 you could do alot worse

Puts a pair on, cranks some Bruce Hornsby and nods quietly to himself...
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

- Fran Lebowitz

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2021, 09:51:53 PM »

+1 

At my local equipment rental repair place, that does a ton of stuff for film and recording studios here in Los Angeles, they recommend the Sony as the industry standard. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline morst

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2021, 12:00:02 PM »
At my local equipment rental repair place, that does a ton of stuff for film and recording studios here in Los Angeles, they recommend the Sony as the industry standard.
Did anyone mention that the Sony cans can go really loud? That's a real advantage for pro work but I just checked last night and I like to listen around 70 dB peaks (a weighted, slow)

Offline Twenty8

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Heading for a better thesis
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2021, 11:53:22 AM »
I used Sony MDR-V6 (more or less identical predecessor to 7506) for years
The Mass-drop HD-6XX is what I'd look at
I have used a pair of MDR-V6s since I started a podcast several years ago and they were my first pair for listening to my recordings.

I bought a pair of the Drop HD-6XXs last September.  While I need an amp to really drive them, the clarity in comparison to the MDR-V6s is remarkable.  Granted they are in different leagues, but the 6XX is very nice.  Having the two of them to cross reference is great.  I still use the Sony's as my daily driver, but 6xxs are top notch sound for my budget.
Open/Closed ~ AT U853 (subc, h, c, o):
Decks ~ MixPre 6ii, A10, M10
Pres ~ 2x Oade mod UA-5 (W+, ACM+)
Also ~ Line Audio CM3/CM4/OM1 : AT3031 : AT831 : DR2D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.101 seconds with 48 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com