Gear / Technical Help > Recording Gear

Recording with an iOS device?

(1/5) > >>

deejayen:
I'm wondering what it would be like to record with an iOS device.  I suspect it might be require a lot of components and cables to hook everything together, so it might be less convenient than a standalone recorder, but I'm curious about some of the details.

I know I'd need a portable Class Compliant interface with a mic preamp.

Presumably I'd also need a power bank to power the interface. 

I think I'd also need an Apple Camera to USB adaptor, but are there different versions of this? I read someone saying they'd bought the wrong one and needed one with power.

What about software - I'd just need a mono or stereo recorder.  I've seen the Hindenburg Pro app mentioned, but that might do more editing than I'd need.  However, if the recording side is simple to operate then it would do the job.

Where would the audio files be created and saved - directly on the iOS device or somewhere on the Cloud?

Finally, how would I get WAV files of the recording into my Windows DAW?

heva:
Get the cck with the power option. Connect iphone to windows and trust the device, then copy filesin Explorer; alternatively you could try iTunes to copy files.

grawk:
apogee metarecorder is the most popular recording software for iOS.  Works well, also supports dropbox for file sharing, but there are a number of ways to copy the files off the phone.

There are a few preamp/dacs that support the iPhone natively, they get discussed here frequently.

You want the camera connection kit with a usb port and a lightning port, so you can hook up an external battery if you need it.

Files are saved to the phone itself, generally.  You can also livestream if that's what you want to do.

deejayen:
Thanks - that's very helpful.

rocksuitcase:

--- Quote from: deejayen on February 27, 2024, 01:33:23 PM ---I'm wondering what it would be like to record with an iOS device. 
I know I'd need a portable Class Compliant interface with a mic preamp.
Finally, how would I get WAV files of the recording into my Windows DAW?

--- End quote ---
I roll with kindms who records using an iPhone.
He uses a Sonosax SX-M2D2 but there are others.
He uses a talentcell 11000 maH to run both Pre-amp and phone
metarecorder uses CAFS files for longer than 2GB files. You then use a converter to create .wav from CAFS
Hopefully he or someone else will chime in and add to this and/or correct me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version