Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Schoeps Mk5?  (Read 8174 times)

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
Schoeps Mk5?
« on: December 21, 2010, 01:13:46 PM »
For those using these, I had a few questions:

1. Does the cardiod setting sound the same as the Mk4?
2. How often do you use the omni vs. the card?  I realize this will change a lot depending on what and where you tape.  But in general, do you find that spending the extra $$ to have the option was worth it?
3. Is there any mechanical or handling issue caused by there being switchable pattern?  E.g., more breakable than standard fixed-pattern caps, etc....

Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
Re: Schoeps Mk5?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 01:46:17 PM »
this is my favorite capsule to use due to the flexibility. I run onstage a good bit and alternate between omni/card depending on the band. the mk5 has a ever so slight high frequency bump.

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 03:24:53 PM »
^^^ love the mk5, that bump cleans up the cards from a distance without over-doing it like certain other schoeps caps ;)
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 04:43:16 PM »
For those using these, I had a few questions:

1. Does the cardiod setting sound the same as the Mk4?
2. How often do you use the omni vs. the card?  I realize this will change a lot depending on what and where you tape.  But in general, do you find that spending the extra $$ to have the option was worth it?
3. Is there any mechanical or handling issue caused by there being switchable pattern?  E.g., more breakable than standard fixed-pattern caps, etc....

Don't own 'em any more, but I'll chime based on my previous ownership...

1.  Better than the MK4 and MK4V, IMO.  I like the very mild and sustained HF rise.
2.  I definitely used the cards more often.  But for on stage or outdoors / in a good sounding venue with a jecklin disc -- damn, the omnis sound mighty fine!  If you're planning to have both cards and omnis, the MK5s are the way to go, I think.
3.  Can't speak to it, as I never had any problems.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 04:58:10 PM »
I'd love to hear a good comp of MK4 vs MK5-cardioid. 

Offline Jonas Karlsson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Taper since 1992
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 10:09:19 AM »
dito!

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 04:12:16 PM »
The sonic difference between the MK 4 and the MK 5 in its cardioid setting is slight but potentially audible on direct comparison with a good playback system. The omni setting of the MK 5 has characteristics somewhat like those of the MK 2 S, which is probably Schoeps' most generally useful omni capsule, although again on careful listening a difference would be audible.

Schoeps recommends the MK 5 for any new users if they're not sure which other capsule(s) they want to start out with, and I tend to agree. There's no sacrifice of reliability or performance from its having the two pattern settings, and the characteristics of both patterns are well chosen for a very wide range of recording applications. The mechanically switchable capsule design allows the omni to be a true pressure transducer (full low frequency response, very low sensitivity to wind or vibration, zero proximity effect), while the cardioid is still a true cardioid at low frequencies, unlike the cardioid setting of electrically switched multi-pattern mikes.

--best regards
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 11:08:43 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline Jonas Karlsson

• Taperssection Member
  • Taper since 1992
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 05:02:38 AM »
Thanks DSatz!

Anyone got any samples for us to hear?

/Jonas

Offline Jonas Karlsson

• Taperssection Member
  • Taper since 1992
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 04:21:46 AM »
bump!

stevetoney

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 09:39:00 AM »
Jontebus, it's probably going to be difficult finding a MK5 vs. MK4 comp if only because I'd imagine there aren't many people own both.  Anyone I know that buys MK5, uses that as a reason to sell their MK4's.  I suppose it's possible to have two people record something side-by-side, one that owns MK5 and the other that owns MK4, but then you'd have differences in downstream gear.  I know there are lots of samples of both out on the archive though so that might give you some sort of idea of what each sounds like if you listen to alot of samples.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 09:41:13 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 02:41:13 PM »
I see that the OP's question about the reliability of the pattern switching mechanism has gone unanswered. This mechanism is quite simple and straightforward, and I've never heard of any case in which it failed to work unless the capsule had been disassembled and tampered with. Schoeps has been using basically the same mechanism since the 1950s. I'm from the 1950s myself, and I wish I had such low maintenance requirements.

The one caution is, don't expect a "wide cardioid" pattern if you leave the lever midway between the omni and the cardioid positions. It doesn't harm the capsule but a "blobuloid" pattern and uneven frequency response may result. (Now watch, someone will probably post that it's his or her favorite setting and won several "shootouts" ...)

--best regards
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 12:29:31 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline grrrayson

• Taperssection Newbie
  • connoisseur of sound
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2012, 04:05:26 PM »
One more comment on the reliability of the Schoeps pattern switching mechanism: I have a pair of m934c capsules that date back to the ±1960's that still work perfectly. I'd suspect that Schoeps's manufacturing quality has only gotten better since then. Have no such fears!

Offline down2earthlandscaper

• Gear Collector (Slut/Hoarder) and Multiple-Rig Maniac
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2022, 01:56:37 AM »
Jontebus, it's probably going to be difficult finding a MK5 vs. MK4 comp if only because I'd imagine there aren't many people own both.  Anyone I know that buys MK5, uses that as a reason to sell their MK4's.  I suppose it's possible to have two people record something side-by-side, one that owns MK5 and the other that owns MK4, but then you'd have differences in downstream gear.  I know there are lots of samples of both out on the archive though so that might give you some sort of idea of what each sounds like if you listen to alot of samples.

Reviving an old thread here. I just picked up a pair of MK5’s and a friend on here was kind enough to offer a loan of his MK4’s, so I will have an opportunity to do an actual side by side comp using the same deck, hopefully next week.
Mics: CA-14(cards & omnis) and CA-11(cards & omnis) ; AT853's(cards, hypers, mini shotguns); Busman BSC-1 (cards, hypers, omnis)
Nakamichi CM300's (CP-1,2,3,4) Nakamichi CM700's (cards, omnis)
Tascam PE-120's (cards, omnis) Countryman B2D
DPA 4061's DPA 4022's; DPA 4080; AKG 480 ck61 and ck63; Naiant AKG Active Cables
Preamps: CA-9100; Naiant Tinybox (12v/48v + PIP 8V); Naiant Littlebox;
DPA MPS6030; Sound Device Mix Pre-D
Decks: Mixpre 10T and 6; Roland R-07; Marantz PMD620; Sony PCM M10; Edirol R-4; Zoom H6; Marantz PMD-661; Sound Devices 722

Offline seethreepo

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Resist Or Serve
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2022, 11:20:12 AM »

Reviving an old thread here. I just picked up a pair of MK5’s and a friend on here was kind enough to offer a loan of his MK4’s, so I will have an opportunity to do an actual side by side comp using the same deck, hopefully next week.

+T (also update your gear list!) 
"Never heard anyone say that music was the thing that fucked up their day" 
-Chris Robinson 1996-09-24

real recorder > phone
 external mics > Internal mics
 FOB > Taper Section
 HATS > better than Denied

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2022, 07:31:04 PM »

You will see more of a difference between the Omni settings of MK 5 vs MK 2 than you will using the cardioid settings of MK 5 vs MK 4. 

Queue up Mr. Satz for a thorough explanation why.
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com