Gear / Technical Help > Recording Gear

Newbie question about DAT

(1/5) > >>

tbger:
Hi,

As some of you have seen, I've searched (and basically found) a recorder with a digital input, for transferring my DAT tapes (mainly).

When I just got into the actual job, I found out that my TCD-D7 stopped working properly, throwing an 'Error 10' each time I insert a tape.

I'm not in a harsh, but given I have quite a lot of time at home because of the Corona virus quarantine, I'd really like to do this now.

To my question:  I'm almost completely not familiar with DAT recorders, and I'd like to know which DAT decks would decently play my tapes.  All of them were recorded on the Sony D7.

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Roy

Melanie:
I have used a Tascam DA 30 mk 2 successfully, although it now has a tape stuck in it. Due out for repair next week. I just bought a Fostex PA 4 for transfers and it has played most of what I have put in it, my portable deck was a Sony D3, I believe. Tape guides would loosen on these decks unless lock-tite was used on set screws,  some tapes have issues. Someone here may have one for sale, see who chimes in. Bob

old and in the way:
I have a couple of Fostex D5's and have found that these decks play almost everything i throw at them . The Sony D7  is a small portable and ok for a small amount of transfers but a
home unit will serve you better for larger amounts .Look on Ebay for used decks or search for a good used home deck that will be what you need.Dat hasn't been a thing for quite a while and most decks are showing problems with age .There are still people who work on them but you'll have to decide if it's worth the cost. good luck .

Ozpeter:
In my experience (many years ago) DAT tapes sometimes won't play other than on the machine they were recorded on, if it was misaligned.  Ideally you'd only buy a machine that you'd tested one of your own tapes on.  And use a tape that wasn't so important in case the deck being tested eats it.

tbger:

--- Quote from: Ozpeter on August 01, 2020, 07:29:45 AM ---In my experience (many years ago) DAT tapes sometimes won't play other than on the machine they were recorded on, if it was misaligned. Ideally you'd only buy a machine that you'd tested one of your own tapes on.  And use a tape that wasn't so important in case the deck being tested eats it.

--- End quote ---

Thanks everybody for your help, especially thank you Peter for this smart advice, I'd definitely do so if I find out my D7 can't be fixed at a decent price.  (I've highlighted the above for anyone with the same problem who would read this topic in the future.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version