Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Eliminating crowd noise, with artificial intelligence?  (Read 8977 times)

Offline ballerusk

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Soft spot for the sweet spot
Re: Eliminating crowd noise, with artificial intelligence?
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2022, 04:46:39 AM »
Working on one of my recordings now in RX10, trying to remove a chatter over a symphonic tune in the beginning, an intro to the concert. Found the best result from marking the talking and attenuate using Spectral Repair, but this seems cumbersome and will take a long time to go through the whole recording... :/
Schoeps MK41s > Schoeps CMRs > Naiant Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10

Offline roffels

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2022, 03:01:20 PM »
Working on one of my recordings now in RX10, trying to remove a chatter over a symphonic tune in the beginning, an intro to the concert. Found the best result from marking the talking and attenuate using Spectral Repair, but this seems cumbersome and will take a long time to go through the whole recording... :/
It sure does. Sometimes its almost a blessing when the talking is so pervasive and baked in, I don't bother trying to address it. The erratic stuff is so frustrating.

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2022, 07:46:51 PM »
Any thoughts on deleterious impact of using declick on an entire track rather than intermittantly?

Sat next to an avid clapper Mon night, and getting tired of fixing individual spots. Worried it might take out drum hits or somethign...
Schoeps MK41 x 2, MK22 x 2; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2022, 07:51:37 PM »
Any thoughts on deleterious impact of using declick on an entire track rather than intermittantly?

Sat next to an avid clapper Mon night, and getting tired of fixing individual spots. Worried it might take out drum hits or somethign...

Highlight a short section to declick, select "output clicks only" and listen to the section to see what you're capturing.  If you don't approve, slide the sliders until you get it right, then apply it.
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline nassau73

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2022, 01:13:24 PM »

I've found that most of the time, declick doesn't affect the drums - even if there's clapping along with the drums.

However, I have run into a few instances where the drums were severely distorted. So, personally, I would stick with working only on the sections with the offensive claps.

It really does take time but it makes a difference. Kinda like with removing whistles. I find that sometimes once I remove the whistles and their harmonics, I listen back and here a sort of "whoosh" sound, so I'll go back and attenuate the "whoosh".

I don't know if any sort of AI would be able to make those kinds of judgements. All the cleanup IS time consuming but worth it for a nicer listening experience.

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2022, 02:46:57 PM »

I've found that most of the time, declick doesn't affect the drums - even if there's clapping along with the drums.

However, I have run into a few instances where the drums were severely distorted. So, personally, I would stick with working only on the sections with the offensive claps.

It really does take time but it makes a difference. Kinda like with removing whistles. I find that sometimes once I remove the whistles and their harmonics, I listen back and here a sort of "whoosh" sound, so I'll go back and attenuate the "whoosh".

I don't know if any sort of AI would be able to make those kinds of judgements. All the cleanup IS time consuming but worth it for a nicer listening experience.

Great points. I've resigned myself to dealing w the clapping sessions individually. Most of 'em are at song ends, so went through and listened to all the ends as a first step. The rest seem more doable now.

Have had same experience using spectral repair w whistles and yells. This stuff takes time, but results are amazing. Last week I released a 2004 Mule show that had some odd repeating diginoise for 15 minutes in the 2nd set, bad enough that I hadn't put the show out. De-click 'periodic clicks' fixed it wonderfully. Amazing to get to share that 18 years later!

Recordings at LMA

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2022, 05:40:07 PM »

Highlight a short section to declick, select "output clicks only" and listen to the section to see what you're capturing.  If you don't approve, slide the sliders until you get it right, then apply it.

But make sure to UNCHECK the Output Clicks Only button before you click Render!  A suggestion from a friend...OK, it was me.  I'm the one that keeps forgetting!   :lol:
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline nulldogmas

• Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2022, 05:54:15 PM »

But make sure to UNCHECK the Output Clicks Only button before you click Render!  A suggestion from a friend...OK, it was me.  I'm the one that keeps forgetting!   :lol:

I thought that was only me!

Offline robgronotte

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2023, 10:16:17 PM »
Old thread, but just wanted to tell everyone about the wonders of Ultimate Vocal Remover 5.

I had tried to remove unwanted talking with iZotope as nulldogmas explained above, but I could never get good results.  However, this free program has worked very well for me almost every time I have used it.  It hasn't been able to remove some very quiet talking, but it has done a great job removing all the loud talking, and it usually can remove "woo-hoo's" as well.

I have cut out sections with talking, run them through the program, which splits it into instrumental and vocal tracks, then pasted the instrumental track back into the original recording.  Listening to the vocal track is also interesting, you can hear just what the douchebags were talking with their friends about!

The only time I found it didn't work well was when there was talking over the very beginning of a song, when the drummer did a tapping count in (four taps of something in a row, not sure exactly what he was tapping).  Unfortunately the tapping was put into the vocal track instead of the instrumental track.  And of course you can't really use it for sections where people talk while there is singing onstage, or it will take out the singing as well.  Maybe someday that can be perfected as well.

https://ultimatevocalremover.com/

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2023, 02:19:12 PM »
Old thread, but just wanted to tell everyone about the wonders of Ultimate Vocal Remover 5.

I had tried to remove unwanted talking with iZotope as nulldogmas explained above, but I could never get good results.  However, this free program has worked very well for me almost every time I have used it.  It hasn't been able to remove some very quiet talking, but it has done a great job removing all the loud talking, and it usually can remove "woo-hoo's" as well.

I have cut out sections with talking, run them through the program, which splits it into instrumental and vocal tracks, then pasted the instrumental track back into the original recording.  Listening to the vocal track is also interesting, you can hear just what the douchebags were talking with their friends about!

The only time I found it didn't work well was when there was talking over the very beginning of a song, when the drummer did a tapping count in (four taps of something in a row, not sure exactly what he was tapping).  Unfortunately the tapping was put into the vocal track instead of the instrumental track.  And of course you can't really use it for sections where people talk while there is singing onstage, or it will take out the singing as well.  Maybe someday that can be perfected as well.

Thanks, Rob, talking is the thing that I can't remove using RX, so am stoked to give this a try.

Recordings at LMA

Offline robgronotte

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2023, 04:48:08 PM »

Thanks, Rob, talking is the thing that I can't remove using RX, so am stoked to give this a try.

It's not perfect, and I still don't really understand the different settings, but it is very good.  If you don't get the results you want, try a different setting.

Maybe if quite a few people start using this program, we could have a thread about it.

Offline ejl6495

• Taperssection Newbie
    • My Tapes on LMA
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2023, 06:52:14 PM »

It's not perfect, and I still don't really understand the different settings, but it is very good.  If you don't get the results you want, try a different setting.

Maybe if quite a few people start using this program, we could have a thread about it.

Rob have you had any experience using this with live music that includes vocals? Messing around with it now on the plane home from some shows in Boulder, pretty cool!

Offline robgronotte

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2023, 08:52:12 PM »

Rob have you had any experience using this with live music that includes vocals? Messing around with it now on the plane home from some shows in Boulder, pretty cool!

Yes, but it can't tell the difference between the singing you want to keep and the audience chat that you want to get rid of.  However, fewer people talk over the singing anyway, it's more often during some quiet instrumental intros to songs.

I cut the song into pieces with another program then run the instrumental sections through UVR5.
It spits out a vocal track and an instrumental one. I listen to the vocal track to make sure it hasn't caught any music I want to keep, then if all is good I patch the instrument only file back to the rest of the song.

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2023, 12:42:51 AM »
That workflow sounds hard. How about:

1. run track through magic, split into vocal + everything else
2. listen to vocal sub-track and slience bits you don't want
3. Mix 2 sub-tracks together
4. Profit

Recordings at LMA

Offline robgronotte

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2023, 03:19:58 AM »
That workflow sounds hard. How about:

1. run track through magic, split into vocal + everything else
2. listen to vocal sub-track and slience bits you don't want
3. Mix 2 sub-tracks together
4. Profit

I don't know what 'magic' is, but that sounds worse to me. UVS5 is very slow for long music files, and listening to an hour or longer of only the vocals of a concert recording sounds like torture.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com