Gear / Technical Help > Playback Forum

Tweeter Replacement for Advent Speakers

(1/2) > >>

Scooter123:
My vintage audio guy says my tweeters are shot.  Further complicating this problem is that parts are not available, and good guarantied used parts are challenging. 

Can I just cut a hole in the speaker and slap on a new dome style tweeter?  You know a good one from Parts Express? 

These were free, and other than nostalgia, I have no emotional investment in the speakers. 

The second question is this--I need a good set of bookshelf speakers, preferably a set of four, mid sized, you know perhaps an 8 inch woofer, unported cabinet, preferably reasonable to cheap.  Got any suggestions for brands to shop, new or used. 

buckster:
No recommendation for a replacement tweeter, but ideally you would want to swap out the existing tweeter rather than cut a new hole in the cabinet. 

What's your budget for the bookshelf speakers??

There's a regular poster over on ASR that maintains a list of "recommended" speakers, that may be helpful.  Here's the post for passive speakers:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/passive-speaker-recommendations-for-usa-by-sweetchaos.28296/

He also maintains a Google Doc listing of bookshelf speakers less than $300 regardless of whether they are "recommended" or not, but may help you peruse what's out there:

https://docs.google.com/document/u/1/d/e/2PACX-1vSmJ4_mrI6qlyD112KwadpXWZolFvGBcepj_OFvwWUvcF08Ah8k2UTduzPVtclrwhAWv90eFSyDk8x9/pub

dyneq:
For the tweeters, you'll want to select ones that match up with the crossovers. Maybe call a place like https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/ and tell them what Advent model you have. They should be able to help you select something compatible.

For the bookshelves, 8" woofers & un-ported? Ported is typically the norm for the smaller woofers used in what would be considered bookshelf speakers. Will you be using sub(s) with them?

kindms:

--- Quote from: Scooter123 on October 04, 2022, 12:07:05 AM ---My vintage audio guy says my tweeters are shot.  Further complicating this problem is that parts are not available, and good guarantied used parts are challenging. 

Can I just cut a hole in the speaker and slap on a new dome style tweeter?  You know a good one from Parts Express? 

These were free, and other than nostalgia, I have no emotional investment in the speakers. 

The second question is this--I need a good set of bookshelf speakers, preferably a set of four, mid sized, you know perhaps an 8 inch woofer, unported cabinet, preferably reasonable to cheap.  Got any suggestions for brands to shop, new or used.

--- End quote ---

how are you at building things ? parts express bookshelf kit is like 100$

i built a pair and think they sound great. does have an adjustable port though

Scooter123:
We are trying to find a replacement tweeter, but it is a bit of a fool's errand.  My vintage audio guy that repairs my gear, is an absolute perfectionist and does not want to throw Chinese crap (Parts Express) at these speakers.  I try to tell him that even in the day, these were very much pedestrian speakers, like a "B" or "B+" quality, but he has read about Henry Kloss and wants to do it right.  He has a supply of US made tweeters, $20-$200 and will pick one to match the crossover which is at approximately 1800Hz.

I have a second pair and presumably the tweeters are shot on those as well. 

The tweeters were the weak point of the speaker. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version