Gear / Technical Help > Recording Gear

Which MD player should I get?

(1/4) > >>

rags22:
Hello all -

I'm still just getting into bootlegs, and for me the first step is to get a MD player.  I've never had one, so I don't know all the nuances.  I'll probably end up buying mine online, but I was looking at a pair they're selling at Best Buy:

They have the Sony  MZ-NE410 for $100, but the Sony MZ-NF610 for $200.  The only difference I notice is that the more expensive one has a radio tuner remote.  I will mainly be using this player for "stealth" recording of rock concerts (once I get all the mic, etc.), and I was hoping some of you guys could give me suggestions - is one of these Sonys far superior then the other?  Are they total crap?  Any personal experience?

Thanks  

DaryanLenz:
Get a jb3...I for one do not like to see MD in sources if a non-compressed variety is availible.  I think you may be happier, and have more money in your pocket with a jb3!

Daryan

rags22:
Well, I have an old JB, but the whole point of getting a MD recorder was that I don't want a recorder the size of a cd-player.  I'd like to hide my stuff... not flaunt it.

Simp-Dawg:
i've been out of minidisc recording for a couple years, but i'm sure there are some people on the board that can speak from personal experience on which models they prefer.
frankly, i think most md recorders are about the same these days...just make sure it has the features you want on it, and for the sake of pleasant listening don't use and of those lp modes to record, you're going to seriously degrade your quality that way.  
while some people frown on the compression scheme of md, it really is not that noticeable unless you have a very distinguished ear and a nice playback system, so if it sounds okay to you, don't let anybody tell you not to get it because of the sound quality loss.
the reality is md is affordable, convenient, and very portable and stealthable.  it is a great way for someone to start getting into taping without plunging head first into what can become a very expensive hobby.
good luck!  and keep asking questions!

Styx Cover Band:

--- Quote from: rags22 on October 07, 2003, 02:44:27 PM ---Well, I have an old JB, but the whole point of getting a MD recorder was that I don't want a recorder the size of a cd-player.  I'd like to hide my stuff... not flaunt it.

--- End quote ---

Get a sharp, you can change the levels on the fly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version