Gear / Technical Help > Home Theatre & HDTV

Home Theater Forums?

<< < (2/12) > >>

dmonterisi:

--- Quote from: Joe w. on December 04, 2006, 12:38:18 PM ---
--- Quote from: dmonterisi on December 04, 2006, 12:34:47 PM ---well, the main question i'm interested in right now is whether to stick with my sony ns90v upconverting dvd player or go with another upconverting dvd player, or just go with a high-end non-upconverting player (and thus allowing the pioneer to do the scaling).  I'm not going to go with the Oppo upconverting player if i do go with a different upconverting player, because of the possibility of macroblocking with the Faroudja chipset (in the 971 model).  I may go with a non upconverting Arcam dvd player or some other high-end player.  I've read (on avsforum) of people having very nice results with such a set up, but haven't seen any specific input on an arcam/pio combo.  i may have to do a better search...

--- End quote ---

:o

christ I need to read up on this crap when I make the hdtv plunge in a month.

--- End quote ---

dude, this stuff gets asinine.  I had originally purchased my hdtv back in september after a good amount of research.  but after only a couple of weeks, i realized i had made the wrong decision.  luckily my store had a 90 day trade-up policy...now i'm just waiting for the new tv to be delivered.  give me a call at some point and i'll help you through this mess...

Joe w.:

--- Quote from: dmonterisi on December 04, 2006, 12:41:31 PM ---
--- Quote from: Joe w. on December 04, 2006, 12:38:18 PM ---
--- Quote from: dmonterisi on December 04, 2006, 12:34:47 PM ---well, the main question i'm interested in right now is whether to stick with my sony ns90v upconverting dvd player or go with another upconverting dvd player, or just go with a high-end non-upconverting player (and thus allowing the pioneer to do the scaling).  I'm not going to go with the Oppo upconverting player if i do go with a different upconverting player, because of the possibility of macroblocking with the Faroudja chipset (in the 971 model).  I may go with a non upconverting Arcam dvd player or some other high-end player.  I've read (on avsforum) of people having very nice results with such a set up, but haven't seen any specific input on an arcam/pio combo.  i may have to do a better search...

--- End quote ---

:o

christ I need to read up on this crap when I make the hdtv plunge in a month.

--- End quote ---

dude, this stuff gets asinine.  I had originally purchased my hdtv back in september after a good amount of research.  but after only a couple of weeks, i realized i had made the wrong decision.  luckily my store had a 90 day trade-up policy...now i'm just waiting for the new tv to be delivered.  give me a call at some point and i'll help you through this mess...

--- End quote ---

thanks. At least i've narrowed it down to the tv selection. After a bit of reading and viewing, I think i'm gonna get the sony 50" LCD.

dmonterisi:
which model is that?  got a link?

Joe w.:

--- Quote from: dmonterisi on December 04, 2006, 12:48:40 PM ---which model is that?  got a link?

--- End quote ---

not really sure. it seems that you can get flat LCD's or rear projection? I know i don't like the rear projection.

dmonterisi:

--- Quote from: Joe w. on December 04, 2006, 12:59:59 PM ---
--- Quote from: dmonterisi on December 04, 2006, 12:48:40 PM ---which model is that?  got a link?

--- End quote ---

not really sure. it seems that you can get flat LCD's or rear projection? I know i don't like the rear projection.

--- End quote ---

yeah, i had the 50" SXRD, which is a rear projection model, similar to the rear-projection LCD's.  I personally would avoid these and with other technologies falling in price, i would go with the flat panel.  one piece of advice i would give is not to get caught in the hype of 1080p resolution...not only will it be a while before 1080p sources are readily available (if ever)...but it will absolutely reveal the flaws in SD programming and your SD DVD's. 

i don't know that sony has a 50" flat panel LCD.  they have a 46" and a 52".  the 52 lists at $6500, i believe.  the 46 lists at $3800 and you could probably get it in the $3300 range.  what's your budget??  (the key question around here i know).  PM me or give me a call this week.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version