Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Does anyone use Iphone or Ipd to record shows  (Read 13954 times)

Offline vantheman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Does anyone use Iphone or Ipd to record shows
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2020, 07:01:46 PM »
Did it record in stereo through the headphone jack? That would be news to me.Your MV88 is going digital through the lightning Jack, which is stereo. headphone in is mono

you need at minimum a sonicport for stereo line in, which is small but not super tiny.

That I’m not sure about so you could be right. I’ll try that tonight.
AT U853A (SP-CMC-4U) > SP-SPSB-10 12V > Sony A10
Line Audio CM4/OM1> Sound Devices MixPre6ii or Tascam DR100 mkiii

Offline vantheman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2020, 08:58:24 PM »
Did it record in stereo through the headphone jack? That would be news to me.Your MV88 is going digital through the lightning Jack, which is stereo. headphone in is mono

you need at minimum a sonicport for stereo line in, which is small but not super tiny.

That I’m not sure about so you could be right. I’ll try that tonight.

Yep, mono.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2020, 05:45:21 PM »
I'm trying to understand why not to record directly to an iPhone. I tested out my U853s with 12v battery box into the Shure app using just my voice at home and it seemed fine. I'd like to take it for a spin in place of my MV88. I have a small, but growing, set of balls and if I can reduce the security risk a tiny bit for now by using the iPhone instead of my A10 it seems like it would be worth doing.

What app are you planning on recording with? This looks cool and it records in stereo: https://www.rode.com/software/reporter_app
You have the ability to set the quality and compression.

I think this is the sonicport others were recommending: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1240811-REG/line_6_121643_line_6_sonic_port.html
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline vantheman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2020, 08:56:20 PM »
What app are you planning on recording with? This looks cool and it records in stereo: https://www.rode.com/software/reporter_app

I think this is the sonicport others were recommending: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1240811-REG/line_6_121643_line_6_sonic_port.html

My go-to app is the Shure recording app. My mics are TRS terminated. Could it be that I just need a TRS->TRRS adapter in between the mics and the 3.5mm->lightning adapter?

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2020, 01:11:36 AM »
The d:vice solution is a VERY pricey one at the end of the day but it works very well.  I just jumped on a pair of matched 4060's with a d:vice and look forward to using it in the "real world."  Smallest pro sounding rig you can use and great in tighter spots (or when I don't feel like wearing full size caps, collettes, a deck, preamp, etc).  :)
yes and it holds its own as a full size open or stealth rig with 4011s, etc
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline Niels

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2020, 06:41:36 AM »

My go-to app is the Shure recording app. My mics are TRS terminated. Could it be that I just need a TRS->TRRS adapter in between the mics and the 3.5mm->lightning adapter?

No, smartphones don’t record stereo through the TRRS input - stereo out/mono in.
There is no way around an A/D converter of some sort if you want stereo in. Rode SC6-L is another example, although I dont have personal experiences. SC6-L has been discussed here before so try a search.
Roland R-07 -> FEL Communications Clippy EM172 Omnis or pair of RØDE Lavaliers.
iPhone 14 -> Shure MV88 or Sennheiser AMBEO Smart Headset

Offline vantheman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2020, 10:06:02 PM »
This may be fodder for another thread, but if I was looking to bring a mono omni into the rig, mainly for using the bass information in addition to my existing stealth rig, what should I be looking at? My thought is to run the omni into my iPhone and mix it later with my A10 stereo setup.

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2020, 02:24:51 AM »
This may be fodder for another thread, but if I was looking to bring a mono omni into the rig, mainly for using the bass information in addition to my existing stealth rig, what should I be looking at? My thought is to run the omni into my iPhone and mix it later with my A10 stereo setup.
If you feel the need to add another mic because of a deficiency in freq. response, you need better mics.

Simpler = better, especially for low profile.
Schoeps MK41 x 2, MK22 x 2; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

Offline vantheman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2020, 03:16:06 PM »
If you feel the need to add another mic because of a deficiency in freq. response, you need better mics.

I’ve posted in other threads about my approach to my stealth setup and it involving 2 cardioids in a XY pattern. With this approach I’m likely to lose some amount of bass and sound of the room. My cards are fine, they are AT U853s, and adding an omni wouldn’t increase the profile of the rig, so the thought is by using the single omni I can add the low freq mono into the stereo mix later. If this seems like it’s worth a try, I’m willing to throw up to $100 at a decent 3.5mm terminated omni.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2020, 12:29:40 AM »

I’ve posted in other threads about my approach to my stealth setup and it involving 2 cardioids in a XY pattern. With this approach I’m likely to lose some amount of bass and sound of the room. My cards are fine, they are AT U853s, and adding an omni wouldn’t increase the profile of the rig, so the thought is by using the single omni I can add the low freq mono into the stereo mix later. If this seems like it’s worth a try, I’m willing to throw up to $100 at a decent 3.5mm terminated omni.

youd still need a bat box, esp for bass-heavy omnis that overload easier
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 05:41:31 PM by jerryfreak »
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline vantheman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2020, 01:19:33 PM »
youd still need a bat box, esp for bass-heavy omnis that overload easier

Yep, aware of that. I'm sufficiently intrigued by the idea. Stay tuned.

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2020, 08:44:43 PM »

That's not a fair statement.  The very best supercard mic in the world (assuming everyone could agree on one...) won't have the amount of bass response that an omni has.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline carpa

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2020, 05:16:19 PM »
I also use a Shure mv88 and it pulls nice stereo recordings. Of course you get the best results if you're not too far from the source.
Big drawback is the  impossibility to charge the phone / iPad while recording. Not a big deal in audio recording, which won't draw too much juice, as you can record with the screen off. Different if you shoot a video, either using the stock camera app or the Shure video app; I couldn't find any video recording app allowing to set the screen off while shooting. The difference between audio and video is really huge, I suspect more because of the screen on thank the recording thing itself. No workaround for this limitation; Apple usb3 to lightning adapter doesn't work as it can power iPhone/iPad through the lightning and accept an external device via usb, but can't do the opposite. Shure released the mv88+, which is essentially the same mic but with a different design, allowing iPhone charging as it can be used with the summentioned Apple adapter, but mic+adapter makes roughly 250 euros in Europe which seems a lot. If you are prepared to charge externally you may as well end up buying an audio interface which allows you to choose any mic you want and link it to the iPhone / iPad so you can get even professional sound directly with your video.
Apart from this comfortable use, I don't see any particular advantage of using an apple device over a recorder in order to pick only sound.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2020, 05:42:28 PM »
Apart from this comfortable use, I don't see any particular advantage of using an apple device over a recorder in order to pick only sound.

getting it into shows with tight security is a major factor

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2020, 08:46:58 AM »

Jeff Coffin of DMB/The Flecktones does it never listened close enough to see if it is mono or stereo though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMO_nHmveUM&t=8s
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.137 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com