Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Pics of multichannel mic arrays...  (Read 8766 times)

Offline digifish_music

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
Pics of multichannel mic arrays...
« on: April 16, 2008, 11:38:14 PM »
There's a Japanese guy heavily into surround-sound recording who has been posting lot's of interesting pics of his rigs...

worth a browse...

http://picasaweb.google.com/surround2011org

example... http://picasaweb.google.com/surround2011org/MultichannelMicrophoneArray

e.g...

digifish
- What's this knob do?

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Pics of multichannel mic arrays...
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 02:56:15 AM »
Hai so; very interesting.  This guy is truly into the art of location surround sound recording. 

I am going to try a much simpler approach which will also yield five channel sound but from three mics.  The mics will be a much simpler array, also.  I have yet to assemble all the hardware.  I will be able to start next week if I can get the mounting constructed.  I do not plan to get into the five, or four channel work, though.  I want to just get better ambiance in two channel recordings and can use the back channel from this rig to enhance the front channel.  I plan to also run a Jecklin or spaced omni array eventually with the surround mics; when I get my bigger rig in the mail.  It should be both fun and a challenge, which is what this hobby is all about for me.

Cheers
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 03:56:02 AM »
Hai so; very interesting.  This guy is truly into the art of location surround sound recording. 

I am going to try a much simpler approach which will also yield five channel sound but from three mics.  The mics will be a much simpler array, also.  I have yet to assemble all the hardware.  I will be able to start next week if I can get the mounting constructed.  I do not plan to get into the five, or four channel work, though.  I want to just get better ambiance in two channel recordings and can use the back channel from this rig to enhance the front channel.  I plan to also run a Jecklin or spaced omni array eventually with the surround mics; when I get my bigger rig in the mail.  It should be both fun and a challenge, which is what this hobby is all about for me.

Cheers

Sounds cool.

I don't know if you noticed but one of his rigs is simply the internal mics of two R-44's :)

http://picasaweb.google.com/surround2011org/OigawaRailway/photo#5180576697371886402

digifish

- What's this knob do?

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 05:17:33 AM »
A Japanese trainspotter.  He is quite mad.  And thoroughly neat and organized in his approach.  I'd love to hear his pulls.  Had we trains out where I am I would no doubt do the same.  I will try some binaural recordings with a SONY Hi-MD and some OKM-II mics plugged into my ears.  I guess I will do a walk to the local tourist trolley and the ride from one end of town and back with the spiel of the brakeman and the bell of the driver.  I used to do this as a volunteer and know the patter so it will be fun.  And the binaural pull might be interesting, if you are tired of listening to train pulls.  LOL

Cheers
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 12:10:31 PM »
I'm liking the variable size, adaptable pvc trees.

Not sure if you could get away with the giant 7 channel version many locations though.  Looks like an old rooftop high gain VHF antenna.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 03:50:08 PM »
Sweet!  Thanks for the link.  I'm currently trying to find  the "moke-like" gigs semi-locally.  (and have made some surprising discoveries)   +t  Stuff like this is great.

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 08:02:44 PM »
I'm liking the variable size, adaptable pvc trees.

Not sure if you could get away with the giant 7 channel version many locations though.  Looks like an old rooftop high gain VHF antenna.
[image deleted...]

No indeed...but I'd love to hear how this sounds. Does anyone recognize the components these rigs are made from, is it a general purpose plastic tube + fittings (looks like it is, but neat and light weight) or a mic dedicated system?

digifish
- What's this knob do?

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 11:02:26 PM »
No indeed...but I'd love to hear how this sounds. Does anyone recognize the components these rigs are made from, is it a general purpose plastic tube + fittings (looks like it is, but neat and light weight) or a mic dedicated system?

[image deleted]

Certainly would be fun to play with if you have a decent surround playback system.  I think its just grey PVC tubing (perhaps the grey is ABS plastic instead of PVC?) available from plumbing suppliers.  The size and finish of the material is identical.  I did see a 'surround' sticker on the tree in one photo so it could be a commercially bought product, but it still appears to be built from stock tubing and connections AFAI can tell. I haven't seen joint sections with gussets like the ones shown in the photos, but maybe that's just a Japanese plumbing code variation.  Stan Linkwitz's DIY Pluto speaker system uses PVC or ABS tubing for it's driver enclosures and some builders use the grey tubing material in an attempt to improve the esthetics.. it's still a butt-ugly speaker but engineered by a genius and they supposedly sound unreal (or rather totally real).  I'll love to build a pair sometime.  Check out www.linkwitzlab.com and look for info or photos of the 'Pluto' speaker for details on the tubing used.  Great site regardless.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008, 11:41:51 PM »
Looks like an old rooftop high gain VHF antenna.

That's what I thought of too. No need to reinvent the wheel with this technique.

Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline Jonathan Starr

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 05:30:15 AM »
Here's a shot from this morning of my 5 Schoeps surround setup.

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2008, 07:00:30 AM »

Very nice, and comfortable :) +T

What's the purple thing in the middle of the array? More details  ::)

digifish
- What's this knob do?

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2008, 07:41:13 AM »

:clapping: Love seeing this and the other config pics in this thread.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2008, 08:50:39 AM »

Very nice, and comfortable :) +T

What's the purple thing in the middle of the array? More details  ::)

digifish

Guessing some kind of foam ball and bungee shock mount for the platform?
That's one serious speaker style stand.

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2008, 01:38:49 PM »
HRTF 4-channel array as headworn by Steven Feld in Japan at Kyoto New Years Eve Large Bell Ringing ceremony

Full EM article at: http://preview.emusician.com/em_spotlight/time_bells_steven_feld/index.html

More detailed image of this mic:

And here's the matching 4 channel mic preamp Steve is using into R-4 deck inside the padded carrying case.

"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline Alexandru Petrescu

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2008, 02:50:37 PM »
Looks like an old rooftop high gain VHF antenna.

That's what I thought of too. No need to reinvent the wheel with this technique.

It's called a Yagi antenna, inventor being Japanese...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com