Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tiny Acoustic Gig, Omnis?  (Read 4343 times)

Offline skotdee

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
Tiny Acoustic Gig, Omnis?
« on: August 07, 2008, 10:58:39 AM »
Will be taping a solo acoustic gig in a CD store soon, probably a SMALL PA, using 480's, should I run the Omnis? I think the crowd will be QUIET during the songs. I dont have any way to split them, will be using a standard K&M Adjustable T-Bar. I will probably be able to clamp to a stair rail which will put me almost on top of the action. What do ya'll think? Was thinking the Cards XY could be nice as well...

Offline Krispy D

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • my recordings on LMA
Re: Tiny Acoustic Gig, Omnis?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 11:01:06 AM »
any vocals?  if no, stage lip cards ORTF would be my weapon of choice.
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline skotdee

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 11:23:34 AM »
Yes, there will be vocals. There will NOT however be a stage. This will be a really small performance, like one person sitting on a stool in the corner of a cd store, probably only one PA speaker, on a stand right there by him... Basically its a CD signing and he will play a handful of songs acoustic...

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 11:27:07 AM »
Who is playing and which store is it?  Is this at the CD Connection?
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline skotdee

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 11:33:01 AM »
Hey Colin, it is CD Connection, you always know what im gettin at! JJ Grey on 8/26. Are you going?

Offline Colin Liston

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 12:11:53 PM »
I am now.  Hadn't heard of it until just now.  Gotta get there early, that place fills up fast.

Offline skotdee

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 12:20:17 PM »
Yes, it does. For the last one he played over on the right (north) side of the store, right by the stairs. I was thinking of clamping to that stair rail to get closer to the action. Might try out the omnis if I can figure out a way to run them. Maybe healy? We'll see... Kinda scared of that config but I've heard good things. (and bad)

Offline JackoRoses

• Trade Count: (0)
  • lost cause
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 12:28:48 PM »
I'd run omnis if I could set up where he is playing at.
If you can't get that close to him than I'd probably run cards since I'm sure there would be quite the background noise happening with it being a signing.
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

Offline skotdee

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 12:36:29 PM »
thats what I was thinking, just didn't know how to set them up. I guess I need to learn more about Omnis, but all I've read says split them, or use a J-disc. I don't have a Jdisc, and I don't even feel like the hassle of trying to split them, not that I think that splitting them would work anyway with it just being a small solo gig, not much separation there.

Do people run omnis in the basic configs at all like DIN or ORTF? Maybe I should just run them A-B, pointing at the PA...

Offline JackoRoses

• lost cause
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 12:43:00 PM »
my only real experience in something like this is an impomptu acoustic jam on a stage.
Musicians were coming and going and the circle they formed was ever evolving.
So I put my omnis up about waist height in the middle of the circle and than pointed them sort of like this
<---   ---->  (the <> being the capsule direction and basically the healy method)
It wasn't the best but it wasn't the worst, some of it really shines some of it sucks because one guy kept thinking he was singing into a mic and would lean forward and try and sing into it lol

I would probably try the same again with this guy or do a AB type setting with as much spread as I could get.
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2008, 01:46:07 PM »
If it's one guy and a guitar, I'd patch out of SBD. Record the voice on one channel, the guitar on the other. This would give you the ability to mix it in post production.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Krispy D

• my recordings on LMA
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2008, 01:50:11 PM »
If it's one guy and a guitar, I'd patch out of SBD. Record the voice on one channel, the guitar on the other. This would give you the ability to mix it in post production.
best advice so far! assuming that the sound man can handle sending a pre mix signal. in a little record store environment that might not be a given.
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.

Offline JackoRoses

• lost cause
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2008, 01:52:58 PM »
I've never been to one of these but they actually bring a soundman with them when they perform a few songs and sign cd's?
by all means yes that is the best route to take..

Offline Colin Liston

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2008, 02:17:34 PM »
There won't be a soundman or a board.  Last time I set my mics about 2 feet in front of the stool he was sitting on about 3 feet high.

Offline Krispy D

• my recordings on LMA
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2008, 02:26:43 PM »
There won't be a soundman or a board.  Last time I set my mics about 2 feet in front of the stool he was sitting on about 3 feet high.

if there is a mic there is a board.  Unless, it's going into an amp.  like a little trace eliot acoustic amp with a mic channel.
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.136 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com