Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MK41 versus AK50 caps  (Read 8815 times)

Offline sparkey

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
MK41 versus AK50 caps
« on: November 10, 2008, 10:42:23 AM »
I'm in flux with my gear...I'm not getting out, but want to look at my options.

I've owned Neumann KM140's for a number of years and am contemplating purchasing KM100 bodies and the AK50 capsules or perhaps really throwing down and buying the MK41 caps and then having to save my sheckles for the CMC6 bodies and active cables.

You don't see too many people running the AK50s.  I ran them for STS9 a few years back and was very happy with their sound.  Thoughts?  Any other equipment I should be looking at?  Has this thread been beaten to death already?  Is a frogs ass watertight?

Thanks!

Josh
#Generalstrike for president in 2024

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
Re: MK41 versus AK50 caps
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 10:45:14 AM »
there aren't too many of us that really like the ak50's.  I sure wish i did cause every now and then I need hypers (not all the time bean) ; )

so that said if you can do it go for the mk41's (never thought I would say that) if you need actives.  if you don't need actives go for the 483's.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline sparkey

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 10:58:16 AM »
So why is that?  I thought the tape I made with them sounded great....

there aren't too many of us that really like the ak50's. 

Offline nedstruzz

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 11:35:46 AM »
I found the 41's to have a more defined low end.  While I have heard the 150's make good tapes I think the 41's make more consistantly good tapes. 
B&K 4023's >Neve Portico>744T

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 11:42:30 AM »
I really like the clarity of the AK50s but to me they sound thin out of the box.  I never liked the raw recordings I made.  I've had several people send me recordings that they absolutely love but I always find the lack of LF bothers my ears.  The roll off is especially obvious on my home playback system where I can reproduce some deep bass.  In the car it doesn't seem as severe.

A friend who loves the 50s suggested two things to me: (1) learn the pattern graph and use the off axis response curve to bring the HF more inline with the LF roll-off and (2) apply an EQ curve in post to correct for the low end roll-off.  

I tried (1) with improved results but I have not tried (2).  After I transfer all my old masters again, I'll probably try the inverted AK50 response curve to see if that changes my mind.  

IMO the MK41s are the best hypers for the section.  If you plan to keep additional capsules in your bag, then I'd stay with the Neumann AK40 or AK43 for running up front and EQ the AK50s in post.  I've heard some great FOB tapes with MK41s but they never ripped my head off like some of the FOB AK43 tapes I made.  If its possible to keep the 140s and also have the MK41s, I'd do that, clamp the MK41s in the section and then head up front with the AK40s.

(ned posted while I was typing.  We were just discussing this topic a few nights ago.)

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline sparkey

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 11:46:12 AM »
I've found the Schoeps to be more forgiving...Neumanns are accurate, like it or not.  But you can make some screamin' tapes for less cheddar by buying the Neumanns.

Theoretically, a used KM150s would be in the $2000 range with bodies and actives.  I'm guessing the CMC6>lc5>mk41 would be about $3000?  That sound about right?

Cards are a good all around capsule, but I'd like to have a pair of hypers and a pair of subs instead of the one size fits all of the cards.

Josh

I found the 41's to have a more defined low end.  While I have heard the 150's make good tapes I think the 41's make more consistantly good tapes. 

Offline sparkey

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 11:48:00 AM »
What is the pickup pattern of the AK43?

I patched out of a guy at Rockygrass a couple of years back.  He was way FOB and running the MK41's, which sounded waaaay nice.

I've heard some great FOB tapes with MK41s but they never ripped my head off like some of the FOB AK43 tapes I made.  If its possible to keep the 140s and also have the MK41s, I'd do that, clamp the MK41s in the section and then head up front with the AK40s.

(ned posted while I was typing.  We were just discussing this topic a few nights ago.)

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 11:59:43 AM »

I patched out of a guy at Rockygrass a couple of years back.  He was way FOB and running the MK41's, which sounded waaaay nice.

AK43s are the subcards.  I run them NOS on a KWON bar and they capture a full enveloping sound.  I have an infatuation with subs FOB.  I've run them further back and they are still good but they will pick up the ambient chatter if you aren't in the impact zone.  I switch to 40s if I can't get to the spot where I want to be.

I'm not dissing the MK41s up close.  They do a nice job everywhere but I just really like the sound of subs up close.

Offline Kevin Straker

• The Shogun of Easley
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 12:02:00 PM »

AK43s are the subcards.  I run them NOS on a KWON bar and they capture a full enveloping sound.  I have an infatuation with subs FOB.  I've run them further back and they are still good but they will pick up the ambient chatter if you aren't in the impact zone.  I switch to 40s if I can't get to the spot where I want to be.

I'm not dissing the MK41s up close.  They do a nice job everywhere but I just really like the sound of subs up close.

Me too, mk21's are hard to beat in the impact zone.
People on ludes should not drive...
J. Spicoli

mk4,mk21>kc5>cmc6>V3>SD722

Offline sparkey

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 12:13:49 PM »
So could I theoretically get a pair of AK43 and AK50 caps, KM100 bodies and the actives for the same price as the MK41>LC5>CMC6?

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 12:16:22 PM »
I love the AK50s. Waltmon, on this board, has made killer recordings with them. I actually prefer them to the MK41s, but that's just me. Still, I am partial to the AKG CK63s hyper sound over all others.
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline danlynch

• Trade Count: (16)
    • nyctaper
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2008, 12:18:17 PM »
I've made several hundred recordings with my 50s and no one seems to complain about the low end.
Obviously, I'm biased, but I've never really understood the anti-50's meme on this board.  My theory is that its coming from ears that grew up listening to "Phil bombs" and prefer more aggressive bottom end.  I prefer crisper lows.

As a matter of comparison, I've also made hundreds of recordings with my 4021s and I consistently prefer the 150s.  When I have option to open tape, I literally always grab the Neumanns.

Founder and Host of NYCTaper:  http://www.nyctaper.com

Microphones:  Schoeps CCM4Us, Sennheiser MKH-8040s, Neumann KM-150s, Neumann TLM-102s, DPA 4061s
Recorders:  Sound Devices 744t, Edirol R-44 (Oade Concert Mod), Edirol R-05
Pre-Amps, D/A's:  Apogee Mini-Me

My Recordings on Archive.org: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/danlynch

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2008, 12:27:59 PM »
Walt is one of the guys who fed me AK50 tapes.  He had my caps for a while when I was only running up close with the AK43s.   He sent a few CD full of samples and if he hadn't met that girl I think he would have married the AK50s.  I listened and I just felt like something was missing.  I don't mean to sound negative, it's just preference. 

My theory is that its coming from ears that grew up listening to "Phil bombs" and prefer more aggressive bottom end.  I prefer crisper lows.

:P   Maybe so.

Offline sparkey

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2008, 12:30:43 PM »
I personally feel that the Neumanns are under-rated and under-appreciated (which, pricewise, makes them a great bargain).  Better low end can be achieved by upgrading your playback system, as much as swapping microphones.  Thanks for the replay, it's good to hear that like the Neumanns over the DPA's.

I've made several hundred recordings with my 50s and no one seems to complain about the low end.
Obviously, I'm biased, but I've never really understood the anti-50's meme on this board.  My theory is that its coming from ears that grew up listening to "Phil bombs" and prefer more aggressive bottom end.  I prefer crisper lows.

As a matter of comparison, I've also made hundreds of recordings with my 4021s and I consistently prefer the 150s.  When I have option to open tape, I literally always grab the Neumanns.

Offline sparkey

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2008, 12:32:18 PM »
No negativity taken, thanks for the post!

I don't mean to sound negative, it's just preference. 

My theory is that its coming from ears that grew up listening to "Phil bombs" and prefer more aggressive bottom end.  I prefer crisper lows.

:P   Maybe so.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com