Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Universal Actives Mounting Bar for DIN, DINa, ORTF, NOS, XY90, XY110  (Read 8551 times)

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Universal Actives Mounting Bar for DIN, DINa, ORTF, NOS, XY90, XY110
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2009, 02:02:43 PM »
Yep count me in for one of these.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2009, 10:26:15 PM »
"The Steve Bar" :P ;D or "The Tone Bar" :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2009, 04:10:48 AM »
I'm gonna be honest with everyone.  After seeing Robb's vark bar array of products which basically expands the concept of the Vark Bar, I personnally feel that solves the problem that I was seeking to address by putting together a universal bar solution.

Now, I do still see that there are some differences in what I have outlined in my design (not sure I'd call that advantages though).  Main thing is that the cradle concept would allow for the universal mounting of screens. 

I've said this before, I'm not interested in getting into manufacturing.  I primarily was motivated by my own desire for a low cost universal mounting solution, which I feel that Robb has developed.  Therefore, I'm compelled to STOP this project now and let Robbs solution be the answer to the problem.

On the other hand, if peeps feel strongly about this design, I might still feel compelled to go forward with it...or I'm CERTAINLY willing to let someone else take the ball.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 04:14:39 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2009, 04:39:59 AM »
To bad....
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres: Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

stevetoney

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2009, 05:32:44 AM »
Ted, I guess what I meant to say in my previous post is that I'm open to continuing forward if there's still interest.  I'm personally sorta ambivalent at this point.

If there's interest and people feel that what I've proposed suits their needs better than the Vark solution, then I have no problem moving forward.  For my own purposes, either solution works for me.

My earlier message was meant more to spur some discussion with those that have already responded than to cut this project off at the pass.  To help this along, I'm gonna PM everyone that has responded to date and ask them if they have strong feelings...and ask for them to respond publicly here.

Thanks!

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2009, 05:41:23 AM »
For me, the problem is there is no readily available clips for the akg ck_x line of caps.  So, although I love your design, it still does not solve my problem.  This makes me have to go with individual custom bars for each config. with my current active system, which could change at any time with my track record  ;D
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres: Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2009, 07:29:42 AM »
I think its a great nidea, but I feel you about Robb having what most would need.

Plus, I have a DINa AND DIN AND NOS KwonBar, plus a set of Rode NT6 HD mounts+VarkBar, so Im pretty set on my config stuff unfortunately(fortunately for me) ;D I would like a 1" riser and one of robb's bigger bars but thats $$ I just dont have :(
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2009, 07:31:05 AM »
Well seeing how Teddy & I run the same caps I am with him but I saw your solution as a good fit for us. If I understand your design I would be able to use my caps in the cradle & have the elastic be the way to secure the cap instead of clips?
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

stevetoney

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2009, 08:30:30 AM »
Well seeing how Teddy & I run the same caps I am with him but I saw your solution as a good fit for us. If I understand your design I would be able to use my caps in the cradle & have the elastic be the way to secure the cap instead of clips?

That was the idea.  The caps would just rest in the cradle and then we'd wrap a bungee around...something rubber...condom...O-ring...rubber bands...wookie dread lock lice traps...whatever is handy.  The cradle is I think the key and the most exciting part of the design, but also probably the biggest PITA to make although I have ideas on how I'd do that too.

Thanks for the honesty guys.

The more I think about this, the less I want to tackle it...with Robbs bars being a good solution for me, my incentive basically went went completely away for this...and I'm not really wanting to get into this for say $20 or $30 a bar to compensate myself.

So, the more time passes, the less energized I am about it.  I'm pretty sure I'll be ordering one of Robbs bars later on, then I will have ZERO residual incentive.   :'(
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 08:33:52 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2009, 11:50:46 AM »
I've also given a lot of thought to doing a telescoping bar..   And I have done some bars with multiple width mounts.  Ultimately, having multiple bars doesn't take up that much space.  All depends on what you want..  The basic vark design is very good, as long as the mass is kept small so it doesn't overwhelm the single shock mount.

Here's a vari-bar prototype I made in april 2006 for a friend's km140's.  In this pic my schoeps are on it.

Offline beeco

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Copyright 2008, a production of Camp Totally Lit
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2009, 04:55:47 PM »
PM sent.

I was thinking this proposed mounting solution might allow me to use my CA-14s on a stand and get the spacing and angles right for multiple configurations, and then be versatile enough to handle a more expensive set of mics/actives when I can afford them (ie, Milab VM-44 links, or Busman's eventual actives, or similar).  From the description provided, it seemed like it would work.  So if this bar gets built, and if it will handle my small mics as well as my eventual larger mics with actives (just planning ahead here) then I'm still interested.
Now you see it:  ADK 51TL,  or MK4/41>KC5>CMC6, or AT4051b/4049a > Wendt X2 > R-09HR
Now you don't:   CA-14c  or DPA4061 > CA ST-9100 > R-09HR

"Wait a minute, this sounds like rock and or roll!" Reverend Lovejoy

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2009, 05:58:22 PM »
I've also given a lot of thought to doing a telescoping bar..   And I have done some bars with multiple width mounts.  Ultimately, having multiple bars doesn't take up that much space.  All depends on what you want..  The basic vark design is very good, as long as the mass is kept small so it doesn't overwhelm the single shock mount.

Here's a vari-bar prototype I made in april 2006 for a friend's km140's.  In this pic my schoeps are on it.

Where did you get those little plastic clips? 
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline dennisrtyler

• Trade Count: (21)
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2009, 06:13:05 PM »

Where did you get those little plastic clips? 
those appear to just be cable clips that you can get at home depot/lowe's in various sizes.
4. im so abrasive i make sandpaper nervous.

Schoeps CMR/mk4 > Naiant PFA > Oade Concert Mod Marantz PMD-661

Offline dennisrtyler

• Trade Count: (21)
4. im so abrasive i make sandpaper nervous.

Schoeps CMR/mk4 > Naiant PFA > Oade Concert Mod Marantz PMD-661

Offline darktrain

• Trade Count: (715)
  • Whats next?
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2009, 07:06:00 PM »
I gotta say i was/am interested in these bars myself and was only having that batch of different size bars made up to maybe fill a void with bar mounts and shocks  as i think this active idea is good and has different appeal than a standard bar and I may take stab at it next time i visit my folks as i will have access to the machine shop

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com