Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Good "open" mic's  (Read 6275 times)

Offline deadheadcorey

• HOME TEAM Tapir
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • think for yourself, question authority
    • My Recordings on the LMA
Re: Good "open" mic's
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2009, 10:03:55 PM »
2nd! avantones ck-1s
mics: Audix M1245a-HC; AKG SE300B/CK91; Naiant X-O (hanging in the sweet spot @ Quixote's True Blue)
pres: Oade T+ UA-5; digimod UA-5
recs: R-09x3

iso: 2 ck93 caps
iso: pair of AT4041 mics

Official Archivist for Grant Farm

http://www.facebook.com/kindrecordingscolorado

Jerry Joseph rap during 'Conscious Contact'
"Life's pretty good. life's pretty good. it isn't all good.
I hate it when people tell me its all good. it's not all good.
it's not suppose to be all good. it's suppose to be bad sometimes so you can enjoy the good parts."

Offline travelinbeat

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Turning soundwaves into zeros and ones since 1999
    • http://db.etree.org/travelinbeat
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2009, 03:54:22 AM »
Any more opinions of the Avatones?
Mics: Busman BSC1's K1/K2/K3/K4, CA-14's
Units: 2x Edirol R-09HR, iRiver H120 (RockBox + 2200mAh + CF mod)
Power & Accessories: Naiant Littlebox 1.5, Church ST-9100, Denecke PS-2, 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD2/8GB), 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD4/16GB), Kingston 32GB (Model: SD4/32GB), Darktrain XLR, 2x Shure A81WS's, 4x Powerex 9.6v, 12x Sanyo 2700 NiMH, 2x AT8410A's

Team DC · Team Naiant · Team Busman · Team Church Audio · NFL Team is NY Jets

I tape in earnest dedication to the mission of breaking the back of the CTOA

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2009, 12:29:52 AM »
I would tend to think the AT3031s would be a fairly poor choice for open music recording.

I beg to differ.  I have a pair of AT3031's that I use occasionally and have gotten very good results, albeit maybe a touch bright like AKG sdc's but it depends on the venue.  If my memory serves me correctly (and please tell me if I'm wrong  ;D) I believe spyder9 used to fly these mics through a pre and into an Edirol R-09 with good results.  You can find quite a few of his and other people's AT3031 recordings on the Live Music Archive.

Having never personally used them, I've heard that the AT4041's (mentioned earlier in the thread and in the YS) are similar (and more expensive).  I know mikesalvo and others have flown them and say great things about them.  $300 for the pair sounds like a good price, too.

The Busman set, indeed, seems to be one of the best deals out there right now.  Can't comment on the Avantones.  Good luck!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 07:13:35 AM by Fried Chicken Boy »

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2009, 07:44:27 AM »
Tyler (salmonite) used to run a set of Avantones with his stock R4. Last summer at KC Widespread Panic his hypercard source turned out fantastic....better than my Peluso cardioid > Busman mod R4 source...the only variable being he was clamped to the balcony center and I was on the floor directly below him but off to one side a little.

If I had the ching I'd get those modded Avantones in the yard just because I could get them and all three cap pairs for less than I could get another pair of caps for my AKGs (and because they have been modded by a member of TS who I've done biz with in the past who stands by his work)
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2009, 08:15:09 AM »
other mics to ponder:
- T.H.E.
- M-Audio Pulsar IIs (nice stereo kit for under $400)
- Peluso
- Josephson
- AKG c460s.  they pop up cheap pretty often.
- Audix micro series

Offline rjp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2009, 09:33:35 PM »
I'd also add AKG Perception 170 to the list - the Perception series are AKG's budget line, but the 170s have sounded sweet whenever I've used them, and I've found some recordings on the LMA using these as well. The LMA recordings tipped the balance when I was deciding whether or not to pull the trigger.

The 170s' drawback: no interchangeable caps - they're standard cardioids, and nothing else. Also, I haven't seen official matched pairs for sale, but mine at least sound identical.

To my ears, they're warm-sounding, with good bass (low pipe organ notes come out very nicely), and clear midrange and treble. They aren't $1000 mics, but they're still a noticeable step above the LS-10 internals - and the internals aren't bad.
Mics: AKG Perception 170, Naiant X-X, Sound Professionals SP-TFB-2
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox
Recorders: Olympus LS-10
Interfaces: Focusrite Saffire Pro 14, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2009, 10:09:44 PM »
Asking our opinion on what mics to get is like asking "what should I make for supper tonight?"   Everyone will have an opinion, but that doesn't mean you would like it.  Tastes vary.

That said... mics by themselves aren't a "system", mics (and how you point them) and a preamp are a "system" and the "system" is what gives you the sound.  C4's > UA-5 > H120 is a pretty common combo... and it is for a reason... because it sounds pretty good for a decent price.  I don't see it as much as I used to, but it's still a good combo.  There should be a ton of shows on the LMA with C4 > UA5.  I don't remember seeing any of these in the yardsale lately, the going rate is probably around $200ish for mics and another $200ish for the UA-5.  That is putting a good preamp/AtoD in front of your H120, and should provide cleaner gain than cranking up the analog gain on you  H120.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline travelinbeat

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Turning soundwaves into zeros and ones since 1999
    • http://db.etree.org/travelinbeat
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2009, 10:24:42 PM »
Asking our opinion on what mics to get is like asking "what should I make for supper tonight?"   Everyone will have an opinion, but that doesn't mean you would like it.  Tastes vary. [...]

Very true!  I expected 101 answers and opinions when I asked!  I've been reading all of the replies and scouring LMA for samples of your suggestions.  I've had a great time listening to what you're all contributing and running over to LMA for samples.  So far I think I'm leaning towards Busman's mics, but I'm not nearly decided 100%.  I look forward to reading more recommendations before pulling the trigger some time in the next week or two.
Mics: Busman BSC1's K1/K2/K3/K4, CA-14's
Units: 2x Edirol R-09HR, iRiver H120 (RockBox + 2200mAh + CF mod)
Power & Accessories: Naiant Littlebox 1.5, Church ST-9100, Denecke PS-2, 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD2/8GB), 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD4/16GB), Kingston 32GB (Model: SD4/32GB), Darktrain XLR, 2x Shure A81WS's, 4x Powerex 9.6v, 12x Sanyo 2700 NiMH, 2x AT8410A's

Team DC · Team Naiant · Team Busman · Team Church Audio · NFL Team is NY Jets

I tape in earnest dedication to the mission of breaking the back of the CTOA

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2009, 07:10:26 AM »
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/PulsarIIMatchedPair.html
I'll post this again for consideration.

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=media.media_photos&PID=18f145682dac323a2ae6e530765ff0a6
you get *a lot* for the money.  not to mention, they sound great.  Much more natural than the Studio Proj. C4s (which are a tad bright).  No interchangeable caps., but that is not a bad thing.  IMO, you'll learn more and do it faster when using just a pair of cards.  You then start to mess with placement, and finding out which stereo config actually compliments the room.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 07:12:28 AM by Nick's Picks »

Offline Ryan Sims

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • A vision of a gentle coast
    • Something
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2009, 09:24:50 AM »
I run a pair of Audio-Technica ATM450s. They're also fixed cards. I feel they absolutely smoke for the money and I am very fond of them.

Check them out:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ATM450
Ryan (minus sign) Sims dot com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryan-sims/

No single raindrop believes it's to blame for the flood.

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2009, 06:30:35 PM »
2nd! avantones ck-1s

Not to detract from Avantones specificly, it might be good to remind newcomers that Busman's sd mics is essentially the same body and cap grouping that is the Avantone, as well as other "off" brands from China.  It's a popular "badge" that probably comes out of one facility over there... just guessing.

Busman's mics are different in that while he gets his hardware from the same Chinese source, his business is based on the complete overhaul of the electronics within the mic body.  This provides a consistency of product that can not necessarily be said of a purely Chinese sourced mic. 

Food for thought.

Personally, the Studio Projects C4 set is hard to beat at $200-$250 pair.  Nice package/case, omni and card caps, roll off and -10dB cut switchable, and about 2/3rds the size of the Avantone/Busman bodies.  They lean towards the bright side.  They don't surprise you with their bass curve but it's not terrible.  For my use I like them on acoustic instrumentation a lot.  While I've stepped up a bit in mic performance, I still hang on to the SP C4s for their omnis and overall value.
I wonder how much of the mic sound is due to the capsule vs. the body.  You can mod the body all you want, but if you don't have a consistent capsule then...

I do agree that C4 (used pair, $200 or just a bit more) is a great investment.  After you tire of them you can always leave a pair at your local club, or lend to local musicians for recording rehearsals, etc.  I've got two pairs of these still...

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.237 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com