Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Upgrade Behind MBHO help  (Read 2771 times)

Offline dgillyerek

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
Upgrade Behind MBHO help
« on: June 20, 2009, 12:59:15 AM »
I'm currently running active mbho > bm2p+ mod ua-5 > jb3

I'm really torn between if I should pickup an opti mod v3 from the yardsale and continue to run jb3 for a while or go straight to a r44.
If I went with either of these options I would probably want to upgrade pre/deck further down the road which leads me to start thinking that I should just pickup a sd702 and be done with it. 

Any thoughts on these 3 options or different routes?

Thanks!

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Upgrade Behind MBHO help
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 07:46:49 AM »
To me, with the setups that you've proposed, the decision I made would be based on the sound.  Do you like the V3 or the 7xx with your MBHO's (there are plenty of samples out there of both)?  If you're basing your decision more on form factor, quality and convenience, then I'd say to go straight to the 702 since you're say you'd eventually be heading in that direction anyway. 

Lots of people prefer the V3 sound over the 7xx and run the V3 upstream of the 7xx.  In my case, having the 702 behind the V3 was too much investment in the recorder end to justify, although I'd be the first to admit that the 7xx are second to none in quality and features.  It's not that I wouldn't LOVE to have kept my 702, it's just that I couldn't justify what I had wrapped up in it for what I was using it for and opted to use a R-09HR and saved $1300.

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 07:57:37 AM »
as a former MBHO and V3 owner, I dont see them playing well together.

what I mean is that the MBHOs have a very noticeable bump in the higher frequencies and are a touch thin in the lower freqs.
with the transparency of the V3 you may not like the results...personally, I would recommend a warmer sounding pre/ad combo if you want a all-in-one. arent the SD devices considered "warm" sounding? I know their previous pres (MP2/MixPre) were...

what caps are using?

the water's clean and innocent

Offline dgillyerek

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 09:24:06 AM »
I've listened to samples of all 3 combos and they all sound pretty nice to my ears. It'd hard to tell though because none of them are at Venues that I'm familiar with. This makes a huge difference IMO.

Really I was only thinking 702 because by the time I put the money into a v3 and recorder I'd probably be around the same cost as the 702 or slighty higher anyway.

If the v3 is too bright how about a v2 with some AD behind?

Size or number of devices is in no way a limiting factor. I'd much prefer a fuller sound with clear vocals if that makes sense.

I have the card and hyper caps. I'd probably only use the hypers if I were in the nosebleeds. I prefer to capture the audience interactions/singing probably more than most.

Thanks for the input thus far
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 09:25:45 AM by dgillyerek »

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 09:41:54 AM »
I've listened to samples of all 3 combos and they all sound pretty nice to my ears. It'd hard to tell though because none of them are at Venues that I'm familiar with. This makes a huge difference IMO.

Really I was only thinking 702 because by the time I put the money into a v3 and recorder I'd probably be around the same cost as the 702 or slighty higher anyway.

If the v3 is too bright how about a v2 with some AD behind?

Size or number of devices is in no way a limiting factor. I'd much prefer a fuller sound with clear vocals if that makes sense.

I have the card and hyper caps. I'd probably only use the hypers if I were in the nosebleeds. I prefer to capture the audience interactions/singing probably more than most.

Thanks for the input thus far

I run HO's and went from a apogee minime right to a 702 and have never looked back..from time to time I think about getting a pre....but I simply can't justify it.  The SDxxx pre sound fantastic with the ho's...

DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 10:23:25 AM »
R44
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline dgillyerek

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 10:38:59 AM »
R44

Didn't I just miss out on buying your oade mod in the yardsale or was that someone else?
If it was why'd you get rid of it and why do you mention it?

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 11:07:26 AM »
R44

Didn't I just miss out on buying your oade mod in the yardsale or was that someone else?
If it was why'd you get rid of it and why do you mention it?

I sold mine because I only do either 2 channels or 24-32 when I record.  I don't do a whole lot of 2 channel "fun" recording anymore, so I didn't really need the R44.  Plus I wanted to go smaller and get back to DSD as well, so I'm picking up an MR1.

I mention it because the R44 is a better choice than a V3->jb3 rig in the long run.  24 bit capability wins out every time in my mind, and both the stock and modded R44 units sound quite good.

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009, 11:12:22 AM »
I don't disagree about the V3 being bright, but you can elect not to use the A>D section (which makes it  basically a V2) and I think has a nice warmth and detail to it.  I'm using the V3 analog out directly into my R-09HR and it sounds plenty warm.  

Also, check out Beans recordings on LMA.  He's been running his HO's straight into a 722 for almost two years now.  He makes great sounding recordings with this rig.

Personally, when I had HO's and ran them through an SD MP-2, I didn't like the sound AT ALL...way too loose on the low end for my taste.  But you should also understand that the SD MP-2 is a completely different sound and circuit than the SD-7XX.

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • surly tapir
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2009, 11:52:06 AM »
i have always enjoyed the hos with the SD mp2 > sbm1 behind it.  granted that 16+ bit and not 24.

i think if you are looking for all in one convenience, hos > 7xx would be fine.  You can always add another flavor pre in there if you want to switch things up.
open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

Offline manitouman

• Trade Count: (36)
  • Los Bulls!!!
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2009, 12:31:57 PM »
I've ran the HO's straight into a 702 for a summer and loved the sound. The 702 was the best and easiest to use piece of gear I own. If it was me and done this all over again. It would be mics then recorder. I can add something in between or if you know someone, borrow a pre so you can hear the difference. To me the most important is the mics and recorder. Everything else will fall into place when and if you have the extra scratch to try it.
Mics: AKG CK31, CK32>LM 3> MPA III

Offline dgillyerek

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2009, 12:50:45 PM »
Let me also throw out there the Korg Mr1000 or other DSD devices.
How about that instead of the 702 or r44. The mr1000 can be found for 900$ new

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2009, 01:52:58 PM »
Let me also throw out there the Korg Mr1000 or other DSD devices.
How about that instead of the 702 or r44. The mr1000 can be found for 900$ new

B-Stock MR1000 can be found on Ebay for $699, and if you're looking for a good relatively inexpensive all-in-one and you're only looking to do 2 channel work it's a total no-brainer IMO.

If there's a chance you might get into 4 channel work, you might hold out for the R44.  Maybe not quite as good of sound quality, but hardly all that noticeable for recording live music.

Offline Sebastian

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2009, 04:29:40 PM »
I really like the sound of MBHOs > MP-2. Two recording that I'm particularly proud of can be found here and here.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com