Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TSKB: Where to get my gefells serviced?  (Read 2325 times)

Offline ellaguru

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • the wendy hour
TSKB: Where to get my gefells serviced?
« on: January 03, 2010, 07:23:53 PM »
can any one advise where (hopefully in the continental US) where i can get my mg210's checked out/serviced? 

thanks
chris

Online vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
Re: TSKB: Where to get my gefells serviced?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 07:36:00 PM »
I know Chomps got his serviced recently after one took a fall.  You might check with him.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline bhtoque

• Trade Count: (3)
  • So much music, so little time.
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 08:46:50 PM »
Don't know of any US service, but I had no problems sending mine back to the factory.

I don't have the contact info handy, but you can pm me if you want me to dig it out for you.

JAson
MG 200/210/270
AKG c422>s42>Hydra silver interconnects
AKG 391/92/93>MK 90/3 actives
>AM Hyper-Conductors
Studio Projects LSD2>MiAGi II
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 11:16:19 PM »
Especially if the problem might involve the capsule(s), there is no possible substitute for factory service in Germany.
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 11:22:30 PM »
I believe that you have to send them back to the factory in Germany because they ended relations with their old North American distributor who could do some basic work with the capsules.

Be prepared to open your wallet for servicing; as I recall, their fees were not cheap and were denominated in Euro.  You should also pay for appropriate insured shipping.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline dbindc

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 02:43:51 PM »
I had to send my M300's to Germany for repair summer of 2008.
Katrin Schnabel was the contact person at the time.

K.Schnabel@microtechgefell.de

It was a lengthy and expensive process.  They didn't accept credit cards, only money orders in Euros or wire transfers which I did in an attempt to speed up the process - $50 charge from my bank.  I was charged 130 Euros for the repair which involved remounting the capsule membrane, 85 to check out my working mike and 80 Euros return shipping....ouch.  The whole process took almost 2 months.
Gefell M300, DPA 4022 and 4061
MBHO 603A/648 + KA200, KA500, KA100DK, KA400, KA800, K20, vintage MB omni & cardioid capsules under Peerless and Unitra brands  Audix SCX1  Josephson branded MBHO/Peerless 640
preamps and recorders SD MP2 Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox  Edirol R44  Sony M10 CA-Ugly

Offline ellaguru

• Trade Count: (17)
    • the wendy hour
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 04:20:16 PM »
this is what im afraid of...$$ and time!
one mic has a very intermittent drop out very similar to the humidity 'pops' that ive read about here, but it doesnt always happen when its humid and may only happen a couple times per year...

Offline dbindc

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 05:44:58 PM »
this is what im afraid of...$$ and time!
one mic has a very intermittent drop out very similar to the humidity 'pops' that ive read about here, but it doesnt always happen when its humid and may only happen a couple times per year...

Your problem sounds very much like the issues I had with one of my 300's.  It usually happened at festivals after running 5-6 hours, but maybe it was caused by humidity.  Never had a problem at your average indoor 3-4 hr show.

Since you have the swappable caps, you might want to consider simply buying another hyper capsule, or at least trying another cap to see if that's where the problem lies.
Gefell M300, DPA 4022 and 4061
MBHO 603A/648 + KA200, KA500, KA100DK, KA400, KA800, K20, vintage MB omni & cardioid capsules under Peerless and Unitra brands  Audix SCX1  Josephson branded MBHO/Peerless 640
preamps and recorders SD MP2 Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox  Edirol R44  Sony M10 CA-Ugly

Offline RobertNC

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 08:28:45 PM »
How would you really know it was the cap though?   

Also are you *sure* you know it is one mic and not the other?  My ADKs have big serial numbers on the bodies, I always set them up with the lower number left.  The serial numbers on my Gefells are so small, and on the end too, that I never bother, although in retrospect I may now put a piece of gaffers tape to mark one in case I start having problems.

But I have a really old pair of the black ones, not the silver ones.  Yours may be different.

If you have some system where you know for sure it is always mic 1 and never mic 2, and you never swap the caps and bodies, you could try doing that now.  Assuming you keep track of it, and it happens again, you might then at least suspect it is either one specific cap or one specific body that has the problem.
SD:  Microtech Gefell M210 > Silver Clad XLRs > SD722
LD:                   ADK A51 TL > Silver Clad XLRs > SD722
Guns:               DPA 4017    > Silver Clad XLRs > SD722

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com