Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mounting questions  (Read 3441 times)

Offline mgleason007

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Mmmmm, yummy
    • My Bootleg List
Mounting questions
« on: March 04, 2004, 04:17:33 AM »
If there's a faq on this, please just point me to it.

I will be running AKG 480's.  I can post a link to the light stand if needed.  Do I have to get a bar specifically for these mics?  And do I need to use different ones for XY/ORTF/etc or do I just adjust the bar?  What about shockmounts, windscreens, etc?  Basically everything that goes between the mics and the stand.  Would I be able to get all of this at Guitar Center?  I'm really comfortable with the rest of the rig... just not too sure on where to start with this particular stuff.  Maybe it will all just make sense once I go to the store.

Thanks for any help :)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2004, 05:21:17 PM by mgleason007 »
Mike

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
Re:Where/what to get, shockmounts/bars/etc.
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2004, 09:49:48 AM »
No, you should be good with most bars - the Shure vert bar (A27M, I believe), the AKG flat bar (km 235), Vark bar, etc. If you get the AKG or Shure bars, you can adjust the bar for various configurations but if you get shockmounts that swivel, that'll help too.
Link on shock mounts:
http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?board=14;action=display;threadid=2457
Link on bars: http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?board=14;action=display;threadid=2458
Link on windscreens:http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?board=14;action=display;threadid=2459

Guitar Center will likely have most of it but it'll be pricey compared to online vendors (Sonic Sense, Dale Pro Audio, etc.).
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline mgleason007

• Taperssection Member
  • Mmmmm, yummy
    • My Bootleg List
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2004, 03:31:24 PM »
Thanks for the help but now I have one more question.  I'm thinking about either the Shure or AKG bar.  I guess the first question would be is the Shure bar worth twice the money?  And how will these mount to my light stand?  If they don't fit on top can I get adapters?  What kind of clamp would I need to clamp it to the pole (if I wanted to clamp on with someone else)?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2004, 03:33:10 PM by mgleason007 »
Mike

busknuckle

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2004, 03:32:39 PM »
did you check the yard sale section of ts.com?

Offline mgleason007

• Taperssection Member
  • Mmmmm, yummy
    • My Bootleg List
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2004, 03:48:21 PM »
did you check the yard sale section of ts.com?

Yeah.  Why did I miss something?
Mike

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2004, 04:07:52 PM »
And how will these mount to my light stand?
If they don't fit on top can I get adapters?
What kind of clamp would I need to clamp it to the pole (if I wanted to clamp on with someone else)?

Answers to all these questions reside the Archival Info forum.   :)
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline mgleason007

• Taperssection Member
  • Mmmmm, yummy
    • My Bootleg List
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2004, 04:10:21 PM »
And how will these mount to my light stand?
If they don't fit on top can I get adapters?
What kind of clamp would I need to clamp it to the pole (if I wanted to clamp on with someone else)?

Answers to all these questions reside the Archival Info forum.   :)

Mike

Offline mgleason007

• Taperssection Member
  • Mmmmm, yummy
    • My Bootleg List
Re:Mounting bar question
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2004, 05:15:52 PM »
OK, so to adapt to my light stand, I will more than likely need one of these I'm thinking.  I would need that to be able to use the Shure A27M bar.  That bar sounds like it's a lot better than the AKG one.  I'll know for sure once I get both in (the stand and the Shure bar).

So once I get the bar attached to the stand, I would attach the shock mounts to the bar, maybe Shure A53M's?  Put the mics in those, put on the windscreens, probably Shure A81WS, and I'm good to go.  Does this all sound right?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2004, 05:20:50 PM by mgleason007 »
Mike

Offline mgleason007

• Taperssection Member
  • Mmmmm, yummy
    • My Bootleg List
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2004, 05:18:31 PM »
And one more thing.  Would the AKG KM238 clamp work well if I adapted the threads?
Mike

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2004, 05:24:00 PM »
The Shure A81WS are overkill indoors, but yeah - you've got it about right.  Before hitting a show, play around with different mic configs using your A27M bar and shockmounts with mics in them - that way you won't have to sort out how to set up DIN, or ORTF, or XY, or point-at-the-stacks at the venue.

I forget the inner diameter of the Shure A53M shockmounts - just make sure your 480s will fit (I think they will).

Yup, the clamp to which you linked will work well - and no need to adapt threads, it comes with a 5/8-27 male thread which will suit your A27M 5/8-27 female thread just fine.

FWIW, I like my Signal Flex MH-10 better than the KM238 - I don't think SF makes it, it's the same one available over at Cascade Media and a bunch of other retailers.  Search around and you'll find a better price than $18.  It allows you to clamp to stands easily as well as chairs, tables, railings, etc. - more flexible than the KM238, IMO.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline mgleason007

• Taperssection Member
  • Mmmmm, yummy
    • My Bootleg List
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2004, 05:40:08 PM »
The Shure A81WS are overkill indoors, but yeah - you've got it about right.  Before hitting a show, play around with different mic configs using your A27M bar and shockmounts with mics in them - that way you won't have to sort out how to set up DIN, or ORTF, or XY, or point-at-the-stacks at the venue.
Yeah I guess it would be helpful to tell you the type of taping I plan on doing.  I will be doing a lot of outdoor taping and some indoor (lots of outside venues around here).

I forget the inner diameter of the Shure A53M shockmounts - just make sure your 480s will fit (I think they will).
I hope so.  I'll call or email to make sure.

Yup, the clamp to which you linked will work well - and no need to adapt threads, it comes with a 5/8-27 male thread which will suit your A27M 5/8-27 female thread just fine.

FWIW, I like my Signal Flex MH-10 better than the KM238 - I don't think SF makes it, it's the same one available over at Cascade Media and a bunch of other retailers.  Search around and you'll find a better price than $18.  It allows you to clamp to stands easily as well as chairs, tables, railings, etc. - more flexible than the KM238, IMO.

It looked like a female thread in the pic, but good to know that it's a male :).  Thanks, I'll look into that clamp.  Just with the price of the other things, I figured a $15 clamp would be a bargain.  Thanks for all of the help, you're awesome  8)
Mike

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.106 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com