Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What causes Diginoise and can it be fixed?  (Read 3866 times)

Offline phishmarisol

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Team MP3 Baby
What causes Diginoise and can it be fixed?
« on: March 07, 2004, 09:00:29 PM »
The show I taped last night sounds good except for about 5 minutes I have found where there are very noticeable crackles throughout.  I did get new cables recently, but have taped other shows with them and had no sounds like this.  I have only taped at one venue, using the same basic setup each time.  Just wondering what causes this and how to fix it if it is possible.  I put the file in Soundforge and zoomed in but there is no noticeable change in the wav when the sounds occur.  I also tried to use CEP's and Goldwave's Pop/Click eliminators but they didn't work and made the recording sound like crap.

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Stomach Full of Regret
Re:What causes Diginoise and can it be fixed?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2004, 09:06:15 PM »
was there any jostling of your gear?  i had that happen with certain coax cables when i had the minime.  if the bag shifted, i'd get diginoise, but only with a certain cable and not others.

Offline phishmarisol

• Taperssection Regular
  • Team MP3 Baby
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2004, 09:08:04 PM »
Nah.  I am just going SBD > JB3.  I was beside the unit the whole tonight and it was secure on a table against a wall.  No one even came close to it and I didn't even touch it during the recording process.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2004, 10:05:53 PM »
another thing that can cause it is sometimes it can be a sign that it is time to send the deck off for cleaning.

Offline mgleason007

• Taperssection Member
  • Mmmmm, yummy
    • My Bootleg List
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2004, 10:20:14 PM »
another thing that can cause it is sometimes it can be a sign that it is time to send the deck off for cleaning.

Yeah but he's using a JB3, which is odd.
Mike

Offline sickrick43

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm NOT a fucking llama!
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2004, 10:31:37 PM »

If he was using an a/d, it could be a number of things.  Also, could be the mix itself.  Most soundboards when you peak a channel or group will crackle when it clips.  If it's something that's not heavy in the mix, you won't notice in the stacks, as it's buried in the SPL of everything else.  Very common to hear it in the tape, but not in the mains.  He could also be clipping in the JB3, or any number of things.

My JB3, which is normally pretty stable with the V3->C02, was clicking all afternoon yesterday.  Only thing different was a new RS/Monster (they use the same packaging) Premium TOSLINK cable.  I'm shitcanning the C02 & getting a HOSA 312 this week.

Rick
4 Track & CD Live Rig: TLM-170's->V3->SD-744T  CDLive->TC Finalzer Express->Tascam CDR-900SL

24 Track Rig: Audix D6/D2/D4/I5/SCX1-C/O->Whilrwind SPC82 ISO Splitters->DigimaxLT's->Alesis HD24 (Lucid GenX192 Master Clock)

Canon 1Ds MarkII - 16-35/2.8L - 24-70/2.8L - 70-200/2.8L IS - 180/f:3.5 Macro - 550EX Flash

"this isnt a dramatic bitchy exit, its just time to go." - Big Ray (queen of the dramatic bitchy exit)

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2004, 10:33:14 PM »

Yeah but he's using a JB3, which is odd.

my apologies, didnt see that....

Offline phishmarisol

• Taperssection Regular
  • Team MP3 Baby
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2004, 10:36:02 PM »
Well I am not using an a/d.  Just straight sbd > analog cables > jb3.  Makes sense about it being in the mix.  I checked the levels religiously and saw no clipping.  There was another unit being run off the board so I might get that copy sometime and see if it suffers from the same problem.  Actually I know I can talk to someone who will have that copy...might straighten out some issues.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2004, 10:36:30 PM by phishmarisol »

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
  • Maybe the grass is greener on the other side
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2004, 10:58:58 PM »
If you were using only a JB3, most likely it had to do with the gain stage or AD converter in your JB3 being overloaded.  I dont think that what you hear was typical diginoise found on DAT recordings.  Most likely this was caused by your JB3 not being able to handle the level of incoming signal.  
Even though you saw no visible peaks, you probably had some brickwalling.  
Did your levels ever get above a certain dB or seem to stop at a certain dB?

phil
"Then you have those who are completely loyal to Trey. Of course, they are the Republicans. Trey can play horribly, make mistakes, probably lie to the audience yet his backers will not waiver in their staunch support of him." | You may ask your self, how do you get a free bottle of champagne at dinner?  "Guest on Guest Violence"
1pt21gw.blogspot.com | vimeo HD videos! | the new Signal Path

Dirty Business down on Coal Creek

Offline phishmarisol

• Taperssection Regular
  • Team MP3 Baby
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2004, 11:03:53 PM »
The highest I saw them get was almost right at the line of going in the red.  However, I have ran other tests where I purposely made the signal go much higher than it should and then listened back and it sounded fine.  If anyone wants to take a listen and tell me what they think I can shoot them an email.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2004, 11:52:42 PM »
Only thing different was a new RS/Monster (they use the same packaging) Premium TOSLINK cable.  I'm shitcanning the C02 & getting a HOSA 312 this week.

I think you'll like the -312, Rick, though it doesn't have the pass-through like I think the CO2 does.  For tried-and-true optical cables, I've used both the SoundProfessionals one with built-in right-angle toslink/mini connectors, as well as the SonicWave with a right-angle toslink/mini converter.  Links in the Archival Info forum if you're interested.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2004, 09:35:39 AM »
The highest I saw them get was almost right at the line of going in the red.  However, I have ran other tests where I purposely made the signal go much higher than it should and then listened back and it sounded fine.  If anyone wants to take a listen and tell me what they think I can shoot them an email.

i think what phil is trying to describe is brickwalling, rather than overs.  bricking the pre can cause a muted clipping sound, even though your levels do not appear over.  the signal coming in is too hot.  try using attenuators next time you patch the jb3 from a board and i bet you are fine.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2004, 09:50:26 AM »

i think what phil is trying to describe is brickwalling, rather than overs.  bricking the pre can cause a muted clipping sound, even though your levels do not appear over.  the signal coming in is too hot.  try using attenuators next time you patch the jb3 from a board and i bet you are fine.

good point damno, another thing is, even tho you ahve only patched outta SBD's, they are ALL diff, none are the same and they are run diff, even if you were in the same venue each time, the SBD tapes dont sound the same, some too hot, but most of my SBD experiences have been too low :P
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline phishmarisol

• Taperssection Regular
  • Team MP3 Baby
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2004, 12:38:24 PM »
attenuators???

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2004, 12:41:59 PM »
attenuators???

audio technica and shure make them i believe!!!

it will cut down on your signal by -10, -20, -30 DB

Offline phishmarisol

• Taperssection Regular
  • Team MP3 Baby
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2004, 12:54:36 PM »
Hmm...not sure what I need.  Before this show I had only taped guitar players there and used between +6db and +12db.  During this show I was at -1db the whole time but the levels looked ok.  And when I put them in Soundforge they look just like any others I have seen...

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2004, 01:07:36 PM »
Hmm...not sure what I need.  Before this show I had only taped guitar players there and used between +6db and +12db.  During this show I was at -1db the whole time but the levels looked ok.  And when I put them in Soundforge they look just like any others I have seen...

id say it was board issue then!!

id get the other boards floating around and compare, or ask em if theres ANY digi-noise in their recording

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com