Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Omni move... and CK92s...  (Read 5053 times)

Offline nicegrin

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
Omni move... and CK92s...
« on: February 23, 2012, 08:51:48 PM »
Inspired by the Card move thread... :p

I´m running Nevaton MCE400s (also own countryman b3s). I´m generally happy with those but still curious what the next upgrade path for omnis is.
Any other reasonable options besides the obvious one of getting Schoeps omni caps? :p

Another thought... How would the AKG CK92 omni caps + "homebrew active setup" compare to the usual suspects (DPA 406x, Nevatons, countryman b3s). Worth buying the CK92 caps or not if I already got Nevaton and countrymans?
BTW, I second Illcondition about the DPA 406xs. I also often find them edgy and unpleasant to listen to after a while! 

Thanks
N.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 09:03:37 PM by nicegrin »
Toy Box:

MICS:

Omnis:  6xNevaton MCE400s, Countryman b3s (modded), MM HLSOs (4.7K mod), Aevox in ear MK2s, CA-11s
Cards:   Schoeps MK4s with Schoeps CMRS, Milab VM-44 Links, SP CMC-8,  AT853, Sennheiser MKE 104, MM HLSC-1s, ECM-717
Hypers: AKG CK93s (modded), SP CMC-8, AT853, Audix 1280s (Church actives).

INBETWEEN: Naiant Tinybox (CMR mod), Naiant Tinybox (p48 mod), Naiant PFA, CA-9100, CA Ugly, Denecke PS-2 mini, MM-MBM, MM-CBM, SP SPSB-8, custom nuetrik XLR to TRS cables, 5 pin to 5 pin extension cable. 

DECKS: A10, M10, R05, Tascam DR-05, R09-HR , MT2, Sharp MS-H702, MZ-R 70.

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
Re: Omni move... and CK92s...
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 09:31:46 PM »
I've heard the opinion that the CK92 was the gem of the blueline caps...I've been looking at the AT3022 and AT4022 but can't find a cheap set...

you should check out the Avenson STO-2...very natural sounding...here is a set on LMA recorded with them

http://www.archive.org/details/yarn2012-01-28.bryonsos

bryonsos' has a pair and I understand that he now has the CK62 Omni caps for the AKG480/460...can't wait to compare them....

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 10:05:26 PM »
I'd stick with those Nevatons. 

Small omnis don't face the issues small cards do (big falloff in the frequency range)....  I would not buy the ck92s, not least of which because those active setups are even more 'homebrew' than most of the DIY-ish stuff here.

Do you still need it to be small? Because then there is really not much room... If you want fullsize, there are tons of great omnis.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 02:41:26 AM »

you should check out the Avenson STO-2...very natural sounding...here is a set on LMA recorded with them

bryonsos' has a pair and I understand that he now has the CK62 Omni caps for the AKG480/460...can't wait to compare them....

Eventually all the omnis will be mine! Muahahahaha!!  >:D

Seriously though, the STO-2s are the bomb, but they're power hungry. Love the sound and would highly recommend them for open situations where powering can easily be addressed. For ~$500 for a stereo pair, they're hard to beat. CK62s don't make it to the YS very often, for good reason. New they can be had for ~$300 each, 460 bodies for ~$200 each, and the AKG active project just got a new breath of life. Hopefully the collettes won't break the bank. Those Nevatons and B3s are supposed to be great and affordable, so any upgrade would likely be for sound alone.

Do you still need it to be small? Because then there is really not much room... If you want fullsize, there are tons of great omnis.

Agreed. Also, omnis are supposed to be the easiest caps to design and manufacture, so as long as the QC is adequate even cheapo Chinese mics can rock. You don't have to spend DPA or Schoeps money to get some smokin omni heat IMHO.
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline nicegrin

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 08:27:45 AM »

Yeah, still need them to be small, at least in the sense that I don´t want bodies or at most bodies + a remote capsule solution.

Toy Box:

MICS:

Omnis:  6xNevaton MCE400s, Countryman b3s (modded), MM HLSOs (4.7K mod), Aevox in ear MK2s, CA-11s
Cards:   Schoeps MK4s with Schoeps CMRS, Milab VM-44 Links, SP CMC-8,  AT853, Sennheiser MKE 104, MM HLSC-1s, ECM-717
Hypers: AKG CK93s (modded), SP CMC-8, AT853, Audix 1280s (Church actives).

INBETWEEN: Naiant Tinybox (CMR mod), Naiant Tinybox (p48 mod), Naiant PFA, CA-9100, CA Ugly, Denecke PS-2 mini, MM-MBM, MM-CBM, SP SPSB-8, custom nuetrik XLR to TRS cables, 5 pin to 5 pin extension cable. 

DECKS: A10, M10, R05, Tascam DR-05, R09-HR , MT2, Sharp MS-H702, MZ-R 70.

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 01:27:34 PM »

Yeah, still need them to be small, at least in the sense that I don´t want bodies or at most bodies + a remote capsule solution.

Then I think you should stick with what you have.  The best 3 small omnis (excluding the Schoeps line) are Nevaton, Countryman and DPA 406x, of which you already own 2.  If I already owned Nevatons and/or Countrymans, I wouldn't also buy DPAs (and vice versa, depending on one's preferences).
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

adrianf74

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 03:57:53 PM »
Then I think you should stick with what you have.  The best 3 small omnis (excluding the Schoeps line) are Nevaton, Countryman and DPA 406x, of which you already own 2.  If I already owned Nevatons and/or Countrymans, I wouldn't also buy DPAs (and vice versa, depending on one's preferences).
What he said.

I looked at the Neavtons (but availablity is an issue) and the Countrymans before I was made an offer on the 4061's that I couldn't refuse.  If I hadn't been made that offer, I would've went with one of the other two (most likely the B3's).

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 04:14:26 PM »
What he said.

I looked at the Neavtons (but availablity is an issue) and the Countrymans before I was made an offer on the 4061's that I couldn't refuse.  If I hadn't been made that offer, I would've went with one of the other two (most likely the B3's).

x3

It's a primarily a personal prefrence thing within those three (also a powering/ conncection thing).  I greatly prefer the DPAs over the Countrymans myself, but I repect those with the opposite opinion.  Haven't tried the Nevatons personally, but liked what I've heard from them.  Their P48 powering requirement makes them less atrtractive for some of my uses.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline JD

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 11:55:50 PM »
....Their P48 powering requirement makes them less atrtractive for some of my uses.

The Nevaton MCE400's can be powered by any voltage between 9vdc and 52vdc. Im sure it would be pretty easy to make up a 9v battery box to run them.
Mics: DPA 4022, 4060; Nevaton MC51, MCE400; Gefell sms2000, m20, m21, m27
Pres: DPA MMA6000; Grace V2; Portico 5012; Sonosax SX-M2
Recorders: Edirol R09hr, Sound Devices 722

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 01:29:33 AM »
I remember hearing here that they had circuitry in the connnector, and couldn't easily be chopped, no?
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 03:09:41 AM »
I used to own ck62 omnis way back in the day. I mainly ran them on a J-Disc, and was NEVER satisfied w/ their results. So my point being, dont listen to what 1 person tells you. Go out there and listen to a bunch from every omni your considering.

Another option would be to buy MODDED K21 Busman Omnis. I have never run them but if they sound like the rest of the caps he makes, then I'm sure the omnis would please you ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline JD

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2012, 11:15:06 AM »
I remember hearing here that they had circuitry in the connnector, and couldn't easily be chopped, no?

Yes there is a simple circuit in the xlr plug on the MCE400's. You would need to power the mics with 9 to 52vdc via the XLR plug.

I've been thinking of removing this small PCB from the XLR connectors one of my pairs and putting them into a small battery box and then terminating the mics
with a mini-XLR or some sort of smaller jack.

Also, I recently got a MCE400 that is dead. If it cant be brought back to life, I plan on dissecting it in the name of science and reverse engineering the PCB.
I'll post some pictures of the inards when I do.
Mics: DPA 4022, 4060; Nevaton MC51, MCE400; Gefell sms2000, m20, m21, m27
Pres: DPA MMA6000; Grace V2; Portico 5012; Sonosax SX-M2
Recorders: Edirol R09hr, Sound Devices 722

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2012, 11:38:30 AM »
There is a set of Avensons on gearslutz for $350

Eventually all the omnis will be mine! Muahahahaha!!  >:D

Seriously though, the STO-2s are the bomb, but they're power hungry. Love the sound and would highly recommend them for open situations where powering can easily be addressed. For ~$500 for a stereo pair, they're hard to beat. CK62s don't make it to the YS very often, for good reason. New they can be had for ~$300 each, 460 bodies for ~$200 each, and the AKG active project just got a new breath of life. Hopefully the collettes won't break the bank. Those Nevatons and B3s are supposed to be great and affordable, so any upgrade would likely be for sound alone.

Agreed. Also, omnis are supposed to be the easiest caps to design and manufacture, so as long as the QC is adequate even cheapo Chinese mics can rock. You don't have to spend DPA or Schoeps money to get some smokin omni heat IMHO.
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2012, 01:52:33 PM »

Yes there is a simple circuit in the xlr plug on the MCE400's. You would need to power the mics with 9 to 52vdc via the XLR plug...

Thanks JD, I'll be currious to know how that works out.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.09 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com