Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DPA 20xxc series  (Read 3681 times)

Offline twalker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
DPA 20xxc series
« on: March 30, 2012, 11:23:47 AM »
I tried searching but, possibly couldn't get the right combination.

Has anyone tried or heard these yet?  I like the swappable capsules.  They seem to be cost effective.

Love to hear some thoughts.

Thanks.
Classical rig - Mics:  DPA 4006, MH ULN2, Marantz PMD 671, Mac Book Pro

Small rig (under construction) - Neumann 184, PSP, Sony PCM D50

Playback - EAR 534, Spendor 3/5, LAT Axiom

Transfer - Mac mini, Bias Peak XT, MH ULN, Focal monitors

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: DPA 20xxc series
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 11:55:01 AM »
Paging page....

I know he has some thoughts that are probably more coherent than mine.  It doesn't look like there are any on the LMA yet.

Mine are, DPA "on the 'cheap'" is still DPA.  Best part is if you later want to upgrade, you can just buy new caps, not a whole new mic system.   Also, with the small shotgun that is apparently sort of close to a hyper, it finally gives them a fullsize more directional mic in their line. 

Initial reports on the build quality here have been that they are as good or even better than the Schoeps Colette series, which is pretty damn high. 

I think this new DPA system is very compelling and intriguing, overall.  It's a more logical line in terms of flexibility than what they had.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 11:59:03 AM »
Paging page....

Took me a few minutes to find the post. Some notes (and a comp) on the 2006/4006 mics.

I have some comments in that thread, but the short is I wouldn't kick them out of bed for what you're paying for. In some ways, I think they are advantageous in terms of far-field taping (the 2011 is brighter than the 4011, and has a tighter pattern IIRC from looking at the docs).
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline twalker

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 01:48:44 PM »
Paging page....

I know he has some thoughts that are probably more coherent than mine.  It doesn't look like there are any on the LMA yet.

Mine are, DPA "on the 'cheap'" is still DPA.  Best part is if you later want to upgrade, you can just buy new caps, not a whole new mic system.   Also, with the small shotgun that is apparently sort of close to a hyper, it finally gives them a fullsize more directional mic in their line. 

Initial reports on the build quality here have been that they are as good or even better than the Schoeps Colette series, which is pretty damn high. 

I think this new DPA system is very compelling and intriguing, overall.  It's a more logical line in terms of flexibility than what they had.

That's what I would hope.  I need a new pair of cards and just don't want to pony up for the 40xx series.  I was originally considering the original compact 402x but, then I remembered about these.  A stereo pair for app. $1575 is pretty good compared to a stereo pair of 40xx. 

Offline twalker

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 01:50:31 PM »

Took me a few minutes to find the post. Some notes (and a comp) on the 2006/4006 mics.

I have some comments in that thread, but the short is I wouldn't kick them out of bed for what you're paying for. In some ways, I think they are advantageous in terms of far-field taping (the 2011 is brighter than the 4011, and has a tighter pattern IIRC from looking at the docs).

Thanks, I will check out this thread. 

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 03:53:05 PM »
I can't comment on the 2011 caps, but I do have a pair of the 2006 capsules with the compact bodies.  I have only had the opportunity to record four sets with them so far (moe. and Mike Gordon on the first and third nights of the recent Jam in the Dam), but my first impressions are quite good.  Well balanced and detailed, with (perhaps) a touch of bass roll-off compared to other DPA omnis.  That opinion is still kind of half-formed at this point, though, because I was not in my usual recording environment (different type of music, a bit further back than I'd prefer with omnis, and a generally more noisy crowd).  I also haven't subjected them to an important test:  the Dynaudios.  Not to mention, those were my first recordings with a new pre...I'll have some chances over the next month to record in more typical situations, so that should help me with the personal evaluation! 

Let me know if you are interested, and I can get a couple of samples together.

These two factors were, basically, what led me to buy these mics.  I had wanted the wide card compacts (4026/7/8) for a good while, but never had the cash to spare.  When the modular system and the compact bodies became available, I figured I could take the interim step of buying the less expensive omni pair and then get a pair of the 4015 caps (and the 4006s and the 4011s) when funds were there.  I was additionally attracted to the flexibility, not only of the interchangeable caps, but also in terms of cabling...

Offline illconditioned

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 04:29:54 PM »
Does anyone have a link to the 20xx series of mics?

Also, I noticed a really nice line of ear/heardworn mics.  It seems that there is a rectangular capsule, but it is now used outside of the "tube" that the previous (406x) used.  Also, I really like how the ear clip works.  Check it out!

Richard

Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline twalker

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 03:22:14 PM »
Does anyone have a link to the 20xx series of mics?

Also, I noticed a really nice line of ear/heardworn mics.  It seems that there is a rectangular capsule, but it is now used outside of the "tube" that the previous (406x) used.  Also, I really like how the ear clip works.  Check it out!

Richard

Here a link to the 2011c.  http://www.dpamicrophones.com/en/products.aspx?c=Item&category=234&item=24396

I think you are talking about the d:fine series http://www.dpamicrophones.com/en/products.aspx?c=Item&category=269&item=24473

Offline twalker

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 03:26:28 PM »
I can't comment on the 2011 caps, but I do have a pair of the 2006 capsules with the compact bodies.  I have only had the opportunity to record four sets with them so far (moe. and Mike Gordon on the first and third nights of the recent Jam in the Dam), but my first impressions are quite good.  Well balanced and detailed, with (perhaps) a touch of bass roll-off compared to other DPA omnis.  That opinion is still kind of half-formed at this point, though, because I was not in my usual recording environment (different type of music, a bit further back than I'd prefer with omnis, and a generally more noisy crowd).  I also haven't subjected them to an important test:  the Dynaudios.  Not to mention, those were my first recordings with a new pre...I'll have some chances over the next month to record in more typical situations, so that should help me with the personal evaluation! 

Let me know if you are interested, and I can get a couple of samples together.

These two factors were, basically, what led me to buy these mics.  I had wanted the wide card compacts (4026/7/8) for a good while, but never had the cash to spare.  When the modular system and the compact bodies became available, I figured I could take the interim step of buying the less expensive omni pair and then get a pair of the 4015 caps (and the 4006s and the 4011s) when funds were there.  I was additionally attracted to the flexibility, not only of the interchangeable caps, but also in terms of cabling...

Yes, I would like to hear a couple of samples if you could put something together.  What pre were using with them?

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 03:42:29 PM »
^^^ Aerco MP-2 > PCM-M10.  I will try to pull together a couple of samples in the next day or two; the server where those files live is currently down for maintenance.  It should be back online by late tonight or tomorrow, though...

Offline twalker

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 03:55:48 PM »
^Sounds good.  I look forward to hearing them.  The Aerco is on my list of pres for my small rig.  Thanks again.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 10:52:18 AM »
Sorry; I completely forgot that I promised to post some 2006c samples! 

Here are two from Jam in the Dam...

This one is Mike Gordon: http://www.sendspace.com/file/pjt8hy

And this one is moe.: http://www.sendspace.com/file/0kfpph

Both are essentially unselected (I took them based on the waveforms).  No post processing of any sort (reminds me: the Mike Gordon sample was recorded ~ 6 dB hotter than moe., so be careful not to blow your eardrums switching!).  Dead center, just in front of the soundboard, ~ 11' up, spread about 64 cm.  Further back than I would prefer, but the crowd noise isn't too terrible...

Mike Gordon is 24/48 and moe. is 24/96.  Both are fairly substantial files, but the moe. (280 MB) is much bigger than Mike Gordon (65 MB)...

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 12:23:00 PM »
Aaron, what was the rest of the rig?
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline twalker

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2012, 02:49:52 PM »
Aaron, what was the rest of the rig?

Aerco pre > m10

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2012, 04:42:40 AM »
^^^  Exactly.  JitD was the first run for both the 2006Cs and the Aerco...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com