Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: To pocket the recorder or not to pocket  (Read 6270 times)

Offline tbirdbuzz

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
To pocket the recorder or not to pocket
« on: April 03, 2012, 08:12:10 PM »
How much does thin cotton t shirt material in front of internal mics affect the quality of recordings?  Is easy enough to try out by holding the recorder vs. pocketing it, but someone with more experience than me should know. i have an R-09 and record mostly metal/punk/hardcore shows in small venues at floor level. There are a lot of occasions when external mics are not an option for me. Thanks.

Offline rhinowing

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • SPLRA - Smashing Pumpkins Live Recording Association
Re: To pocket the recorder or not to pocket
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 08:18:21 PM »
fellow hardcore taper. avoid the shirt pocket. 99% of the time, I try to stash the recorder off to the side or something if I know there's going to be a pit
Please contact me if you've ever taped the Smashing Pumpkins or a related group!

Offline tbirdbuzz

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 08:24:00 PM »
Maybe next time I will put a piece of cloth or something in the bottom of my pocket to raise up the recorder so the mics just stick out of the top. I have stashed my old recorder, but I would be leary of leaving my $120 R-09 unattended. Thanks for the tip.

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 01:32:20 AM »
One problem with the pocket is rubbing noise. You have to stay very still.

The pocket will also muffle the sound. Try it at home, with a stereo blasting, with the mics in and above the pocket. The idea of raising them into the air is good. But think about stealthy external mics.

Offline anr

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 11:31:53 AM »
Agree with above.  Pocket is a last resort.  Sometimes you get lucky, and the RO-9 is far better in this respect than, for example, the Zoom H2, due to the slightly recessed mic housings.    My view is that, if you're happy putting it in a pocket, then it is a tiny step to get a set of relatively cheap externals and (e.g.) clip them to adjacent clothing.  As soon as you hear the quality, you'll never contemplate going back. 

That said, what you suggest is infinitely better than a well known Irish "taper" who spends a fortune on tickets and hotels following a well known Irish chanter around Europe, and puts an Olympus dictation machine in the bottom of her handbag, zips up and stuffs it under her seat.  People who don't know better lap her recordings up.  Seriously. 

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 11:49:13 AM »
^^^  At least on the H2, the mics are oriented in the right direction if it's in a shirt pocket.  The internals are reputedly better on the H2 as well...

Either which way, you're probably not going to end up with the Tape of the Year.  Or Month.  Or Day...

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 01:07:11 PM »
Agree with above.  Pocket is a last resort.  Sometimes you get lucky, and the RO-9 is far better in this respect than, for example, the Zoom H2, due to the slightly recessed mic housings.    My view is that, if you're happy putting it in a pocket, then it is a tiny step to get a set of relatively cheap externals and (e.g.) clip them to adjacent clothing.  As soon as you hear the quality, you'll never contemplate going back. 

That said, what you suggest is infinitely better than a well known Irish "taper" who spends a fortune on tickets and hotels following a well known Irish chanter around Europe, and puts an Olympus dictation machine in the bottom of her handbag, zips up and stuffs it under her seat.  People who don't know better lap her recordings up.  Seriously.

:o Um, how bad do those recordings sound?  If there is a link to any, I'd love to hear, just out of curiosity. I'd be surprised that would pick up anything, unless the bag is somewhat acoustically transparent.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline anr

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 07:31:05 PM »
Jack

I had one, as a curiosity.  Not of the chanter I referred to, but of a long time friend who has released about 12 albums over the years, each doing very well.  I didn't recognise it was him!   To be fair, these recordings are not circulated openly, but to friends only.   No amount of cajoling can persuade the lovely lady that there is a better way.  She's happy, and there's a lot to be said for that.   

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 12:29:16 PM »
i have an R-09 and record mostly metal/punk/hardcore shows in small venues at floor level. There are a lot of occasions when external mics are not an option for me. Thanks.

I tested my R-09's internal mics once and they are really awful.

If you have a month you don't need the recorder and don't mind spending $100 or so for really good internal mics send it to Chris Church for his Micsketeer Mod. He replaces the internals with CA-11's. It sounds great. The difference is like night and day.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline jagraham

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 01:39:51 PM »
external mics are not an option

^ why is this?  moshing/wild crowd up front?  i find a lot of times its really better to record from a little further back at metal shows so you get the PA mix.  stage mix is usually shit at most of those type of shows ive seen live and on recordings.  disclaimer: i don't go to many metal shows but i have observed this at the ones i have seen.  of course it always depends on the band and venue.  below are a couple examples of recordings with affordable externals from a good spot("triangled" with stacks).

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=397287
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=397288

below is a show from the same tour with internals which sounds like it was recorded from close to the stage(i might be wrong), while not terrible the difference is notable...
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=383547
Mics: Nak CM-300s, Nak CM-100s, CP-1s, CP-2s, AT-853s(Cards, Hypers, Omnis) CA-14s(Cards, Omnis)
Pres: CA STC-9200, CA-UBB
Recorders: Tascam DR-70D, DR-2D, Edirol R-09

ISO: 1 Teac ME-120, CP-3 Caps, AT-853 Subcard Caps

Offline tbirdbuzz

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 07:09:01 PM »

^ why is this?  moshing/wild crowd up front?

I have nothing against using external mics.  It's just easier for me to sneak in only a recorder and not have to worry about anything else or any setup time. I can turn the R-09 on and go. I do usually record from outskirts of the pit or a bit further back.  I did buy a pair of used AT-853s which I will try soon. Thanks for the tips.

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 11:04:03 PM »

^ why is this?  moshing/wild crowd up front?

I have nothing against using external mics.  It's just easier for me to sneak in only a recorder and not have to worry about anything else or any setup time. I can turn the R-09 on and go. I do usually record from outskirts of the pit or a bit further back.  I did buy a pair of used AT-853s which I will try soon. Thanks for the tips.

so, (I'm not trying to be an ass here) the only reason for internals is it is easier?  I did Flogging Molly and was bounced around in a mosh pit running MK4's.  Not something I'd recommend but if I was going to the effort I'd want to try and make a good recording. 

Offline rhinowing

• SPLRA - Smashing Pumpkins Live Recording Association
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 04:28:46 AM »
depends on the pit. it's a lot easier to have a set of mics come off you and get trampled than a recorder come full on out of your pocket
Please contact me if you've ever taped the Smashing Pumpkins or a related group!

Offline tbirdbuzz

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 08:07:46 AM »
I will give the externals a shot the next chance I get. I will have to looj up how people mount them.  I was thinking slipping them under velcro strips sewn on the shoulders of a black shirt.

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 10:40:10 AM »
depends on the pit. it's a lot easier to have a set of mics come off you and get trampled than a recorder come full on out of your pocket

Not sure I agree with that.  Don't think the results of a recorder buried in a pocket would be worth the effort.

I will give the externals a shot the next chance I get. I will have to looj up how people mount them.  I was thinking slipping them under velcro strips sewn on the shoulders of a black shirt.

Use your head i.e. a hat

Offline yousef

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2012, 10:56:59 AM »
I did buy a pair of used AT-853s which I will try soon.

You're going to be so happy with how much better this sounds - just make sure your mics are modded/powered appropriately for the volumes you're going to encounter.
music>other stuff>ears
my recordings: http://db.etree.org/yousef
http://www.manchestertaper.co.uk
twitter: @manchestertaper

adrianf74

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2012, 01:04:08 PM »
I did buy a pair of used AT-853s which I will try soon.

You're going to be so happy with how much better this sounds - just make sure your mics are modded/powered appropriately for the volumes you're going to encounter.
+1.  Make sure they're modded so you don't end up distoring the hell out of your captures but you'll be many more times impressed with your captures using these mics than any internal in a shirt pocket.  :)

Offline tbirdbuzz

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2012, 10:11:13 PM »
Thanks for all of the advice.  My girlfriend made my bootlegging underwear for me to sneak in my recorder so I am sure she can come up with something clever, yet simple to hold the mics.

Offline fleish

• Trade Count: (4)
  • I've been safariing since before you were born
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2012, 11:24:30 PM »
Thanks for all of the advice.  My girlfriend made my bootlegging underwear for me to sneak in my recorder so I am sure she can come up with something clever, yet simple to hold the mics.

Friends don't let friends record their junk ;)

Sorry, nothing more helpful to add that's not already been said ... but picturing someone making bootlegging underwear gave me a good :lol: so I had to contribute something. Carry on.
Mics: AT853, MC930, AK40/AK50 > LC3 > KM100, ADK TL51
Cables: Audio Magic XStream silver, Kind Kables, Zaolla M1.5
Decks: D8, Busman Hybrid R4

My LMA tapes: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Todd+Fleisher%22

My LMA transfers: http://archive.org/search.php?query=-taper%3A%28Todd%20Fleisher%29%20AND%20transferer%3A%28Todd%20Fleisher%29

My LMA uploads: http://archive.org/search.php?query=collection%3Aetree%20AND%20uploader%3A%28todd%40fleish.org%29

Awesome. David said you were like The Wolf in Pulp Fiction. Shows up just in time with tons of gear, does a pro job, and disappears into the night! :-)

Offline yousef

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2012, 01:08:03 PM »
I'm sure we reached a consensus some time ago that no piece of underwear can be big enough to contain both recording equipment and the requisite enormous brass stealth-taper balls.
music>other stuff>ears
my recordings: http://db.etree.org/yousef
http://www.manchestertaper.co.uk
twitter: @manchestertaper

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.1 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com