Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best ever microphone review?  (Read 8834 times)

Offline db

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • i do not have a personal statement
Re: Best ever microphone review?
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2012, 06:01:42 PM »
A few years ago, I got to sit in on a session recording of a major star and major studio side men and a major engineer and producer.  They spent close to 90 minutes "tuning" the drums and a couple other instruments before recording a single lick.  Rather than go to the EQ, they changed microphones and caps. 
This is extremely common.  In fact, it's quite common to see engineers/producers/drummers collaborating for hours prior to a session getting exactly the right combination dialed in.  It might seem counterintuitive, but recording percussion might just be the biggest challenge in the recording process.  It's a lot more involved than just swapping one mike out for another.

yeah, eq-ing means there's a problem.  we once missed a g-ish ringing on a tom after the drummer, who was in a rush, left.  fortunately, the song was in g.
db

Offline csmsss

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Best ever microphone review?
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2012, 10:40:37 PM »
Great discussion!

One thing I think needs to be pointed out. A lot of us record in situations we don't have precise control over. For example recording a PA system from the audience.
We can't often set-up in the most ideal spot. It makes it more difficult to get a great recording. That's when picking the right microphones really comes into play.

If you only have omnis and you are at the back of a shoe box room, you're screwed.

So, some of us try to find the mics that sound the best from where we typically have to set-up.

Anyway, carry on. I love this type of discussion.
That's an excellent point.  I typically have to face this as a double whammy because I'm also running video - so I've got to find a place in the back of the room where I'm out of the way and hopefully can get a clear view of the stage - or as clear a view as possible.  All too often I get my gear set up when out of the blue some brobdingnagian parks himself right in front of me and my previously clear sight path to the stage is immediately and permanently obscured. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 26 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com