Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AT853's  (Read 8095 times)

Offline Myco

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: AT853's
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2012, 10:52:32 AM »
Hope that didn't confuse you  :)

Ha, yea. That's the reason why I seem to have trouble figuring out exactly what I can do and what the results will be. A ton of options, and some things that seem to contradict each other.

A poster above said that getting a naiant PFA would work, but wouldn't do anything for the distortion. You're saying terminating to adapters will take care of the distortion. I'm assuming you're talking about hardwiring them, and not just plugging in an adapter? Does hardwiring them alter the wiring in such a way that makes them suitable, but not a PFA?

edit: Reading a little more closely, I think I missed or misunderstood part of what you wrote. So I would need the mics terminated to xlr AND an xlr power adapter, and this will give me distortion free phantom power? Is there any solution that could combine the 2?

The AT8533x is a power connector that has a male XLR end, so you plug it right into your pre-amp or deck, it just converts the power to the correct phantom power voltage for your mic's, and provides a bass roll-off if you choose to use it. Think of it as a power conditioner for your mic's. You can see how it looks here, although B&H no longer carry's them.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/163118-REG/Audio_Technica_AT8533X_AT8533X_In_Line_Powering_Module.html
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
AT853's(card's/hyper's)>AT8533x>Aerco MP-2>Sony M10

Offline nihilistic0

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • wat
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2012, 12:47:46 AM »
OK, I think I have a handle on it now. I'm normally not so dense :D

I'm pretty sure i have a set of 853 bodies with 25' cables, terminated in minixlrs if you just wanted to trade also.  Got phantom adapters also, or AT8531 battery boxes that you can power them with, and will also work off phantom power. 

Hm, that's tempting, but the 25' cable is a bit much. I assume it wouldn't be too difficult to just take a hunk out and splice it back together, though. Then I would grab some adapters and a DR-40, and after selling my DR-05 and battery box, I'd have a pretty decent upgrade for fairly cheap. Cheers.

SP-CMC-4 (AT853) > SP-SPSB-1 (no rolloff) > Tascam DR-05

Offline mysticeyes

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2012, 07:52:27 AM »
OK, I think I have a handle on it now. I'm normally not so dense :D

I'm pretty sure i have a set of 853 bodies with 25' cables, terminated in minixlrs if you just wanted to trade also.  Got phantom adapters also, or AT8531 battery boxes that you can power them with, and will also work off phantom power. 

Hm, that's tempting, but the 25' cable is a bit much. I assume it wouldn't be too difficult to just take a hunk out and splice it back together, though. Then I would grab some adapters and a DR-40, and after selling my DR-05 and battery box, I'd have a pretty decent upgrade for fairly cheap. Cheers.

25' cables can be handy, when you need to run spaced omnis, for example. I grabbed a pair of AT853s last month off of paulbaptiste so I could run a second pair of mics. The thing about At853s is that you can always sell them later for about what you pay for them.

Offline paulbaptiste

• Trade Count: (50)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • in that sweet bye and bye
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2012, 10:24:05 AM »
and 25' on those AT cables still coil up pretty small.  ^Thats why i also have/had a couple extra set of bodies... Once you have more than 1 set of caps it's nice to have an extra pair of bodies if you want to run 2 853 rigs.  I often run a pair open on a stand in the back, and another stage lip...Or a pair up on a stand, another clipped to hat (omnis) immersed in the crowd.  extra AT 853 gear never hurt anyone  ;D
Official Archivist for The Felice Brothers and contact for guestlist/taper spots
Please contact me regarding upcoming shows as well as recordings for the bands archive
robertsnw@yahoo.com

Offline Smokey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2012, 04:40:29 AM »
With my Nevaton MCE400 set in the shop :'(, this might be a good time to supplement my omni setup with a more directional pair and I'm considering the AT853s. I'm pretty sure they'll work with my Tinybox setup (16v phantom, 6-pin mini XLR input) as long as I get them terminated with mini-XLRs and the correct breakout cable.

Since I have an extra recorder I'd like to have the option to run 2 rigs simultaneously-

Rig 1: MCE400>Tinybox>R09

Rig 2: AT853>?>M10

For indoor, boomy situations I'd probably leave the omnis at home and run AT853>Tinybox>M10.

My question for those who have experience with the AT853s is- what do I have to add to rig #2 for it to work properly? If I add a battery box and cable with 4.7k mod, will the M10 provide enough gain for amplified shows? What would happen if I ran plug-in power with just the cable and the mod? If I only get one pattern what would be the best choice (considering I already have an omni set)? Hope this isn't too many questions but I have an AKUS show coming up in a month and am currently without mics!  :o

Mics: Nevaton MCE400 / Naiant X-S
Pre: Tinybox v1.5
Recorders: Sony M10 / Edirol R09
Video: Canon HF M50

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2012, 05:19:04 PM »
i have ran NONmod 853 with a tb a few times now
here is one from fri that actually was run with lb https://archive.org/details/mnathanson2012-08-24.flac16
if you wanted to run them right into the m10, you would be able to get approx 20db gain by going up from 4 to 10
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2012, 06:39:11 PM »
Personally i wouldn't bother getting a 9100 with the 4.7k mod.  You lose 12db on the mics and the 9100 only provides 20db of gain.  So after the mod the 9100 just gives you 8db of gain and IMO a waste of money.  That money would be much better spent on a new deck like the Sony M10 which has very nice preamps and clean gain, def. upgrade from the JB3.

Actually my 9100 with the 4.7k switch mod gives you +32 db of gain with the mod off. For low volume situations or +10 for loud situations again in loud situations you do not need much gain anyway, I do agree 100% with your recommendation to ditch the JB3 the internal preamp on that thing is horrible.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2012, 09:37:53 PM »
With the 4.7k Mod on...I've never had Distortion due to a lack of head room...with it Off I have recordings that peak at -6db but splatter...so I choose to run the 9100 and take the 10db gain and feel good about doing it...

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com