Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Windscreen for Schoeps mk4v  (Read 8398 times)

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
Windscreen for Schoeps mk4v
« on: August 26, 2013, 06:23:59 PM »
Is there any consensus on what the best windscreen is for the Schoeps vertical capsules (mk4v, mk41v, mk6, mk8)?

do the ubiquitus and cheep wind tech screen cut it?
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
Re: Windscreen for Schoeps mk4v
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 06:42:32 PM »
For outdoor open-taping, I've had good success with the big-ass Shures...

Offline StuStu

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 08:41:32 PM »
I use the same screens as with other caps: Shure A81WS (as mentioned above), DPA 0896 and Schoeps B5.
MK5, MK8, MK41, KM184D, CK77, B3 ---CMD 2U XT, KC5, KCY, AKI---KCY Tinybox, Ugly BB---AETA 4MinX, PMD661 MKII, R-26, M-10, MR-1

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 02:33:11 PM »
Can anyone confirm/deny whether the B5D are not compatible with vertical address caps? I was going to run normal B5s with my MK4Vs but would prefer to run B5D if I can.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline StuStu

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 05:12:41 PM »
Can anyone confirm/deny whether the B5D are not compatible with vertical address caps? I was going to run normal B5s with my MK4Vs but would prefer to run B5D if I can.

According to Schoeps, the only caps not compatible with the B5D are the MK6, MK8 and CCM8.
MK5, MK8, MK41, KM184D, CK77, B3 ---CMD 2U XT, KC5, KCY, AKI---KCY Tinybox, Ugly BB---AETA 4MinX, PMD661 MKII, R-26, M-10, MR-1

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 08:31:03 AM »

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=163450.0

Looks like it's ok. Still find the change in wording odd if they haven't re-designed something
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 12:47:44 PM »

They've changed their wording on the compatibility (as noted in the link above) but do indicate the B5D is appropriate for the MK4Vs (maybe not ideal, but I think still better than the B5).  The hollow foam should offer better effectiveness and lower impact on sound quality relative to the B5. 

The B5D is what I use on my MK4V's if I use one.  I've been perfectly happy with them and can't say I've noticed any audible difference between using them or not, though I do typically only use windscreens when some air movement issue may be a factor (fans or ductwork can be an issue at indoor shows with really quiet moments). 

RE: the other comment above they say "the B 5 D cannot be used with MK 6 or MK 8 capsules, or the corresponding CCM compact microphones."
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 12:50:07 PM by bombdiggity »
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 02:17:16 PM »

They've changed their wording on the compatibility (as noted in the link above) but do indicate the B5D is appropriate for the MK4Vs (maybe not ideal, but I think still better than the B5).  The hollow foam should offer better effectiveness and lower impact on sound quality relative to the B5. 

The B5D is what I use on my MK4V's if I use one.  I've been perfectly happy with them and can't say I've noticed any audible difference between using them or not, though I do typically only use windscreens when some air movement issue may be a factor (fans or ductwork can be an issue at indoor shows with really quiet moments). 

RE: the other comment above they say "the B 5 D cannot be used with MK 6 or MK 8 capsules, or the corresponding CCM compact microphones."

Thanks. I think I am going to go with that. Like you, I prefer not to use screens whenever possible, but when I need them, the B5Ds are so much better build-wise than the B5s or other cheapo screens. I also like how the foam doesn't touch the actual capsule.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 04:02:39 PM »
do the ubiquitus and cheep wind tech screen cut it?

I think they're junk.  Mostly useful as a last resort, or emergency spares, etc.

The idea is that the foam is open cell.  From a production standpoint, that may be tricky.  A foam that is an open matrix but also durable for years, etc.  Not all open cell foam is the same.  At least in my example, if you tried to blow through the windtech foam it was very closed and obstructing. You might as well take a nerf ball and cut a hole in it.

In contrast, the ultra-fine cell foam in a Shure A81WS is very open.

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2013, 10:16:19 AM »
I can't refute anything said here, but when it comes to screens, the discussion always relates to differences in construction and how that might impact the sound of one screen against another.  I have no doubt that screens impact sound vs. no screen, but I've been reading ts.com for I think ten years now and I have yet to see a real convincing technical article on the impact of one screen over another based purely on sonics.  Not saying it doesn't exist, just saying that it seems like the data isn't there.

For my own taping purposes, I have a hard time seeing how, for example, the plastic ribbing inside of a BD5 is going to affect the sound or imaging of a recording made from the audience at a concert venue that comes inherent with sonic imperfection.  Maybe if you used screens in a studio then there might be a sonic impact, but why do you need a screen in a studio?  I just think, for most people reading this, the discussion about screen differences is theoretical and would never be able to be heard on a live music recording.

Anyway, the bottom line for me is, does it cut the wind noise.  If it does, then the screen is worthy.  If not, move on to something else.

Offline myke2241

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Herron Sound
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2013, 12:08:18 PM »
why not Rycote Softies? I think those are going to give some of the best wind protection results. I have a set of Windtech US2 windscreens for my CCM 41's but i haven't had a chance to try them outdoors. although i did a close blow test and i could overload the mic. so i really wouldn't put a lot of trust in them for outdoor use.
Sound Devices 788, Sony PCM-M10
MKH 416, MKH 70, MKH 80, MKH 8040, MKH 8090, Schoeps CCM 41, CCM 8, Sonic Studios DSM-6SL, Fostex M22RP MS, Soundfield ST450

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com