Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Was given a new Zoom H6...need mics/setup ideas PLEASE.  (Read 6945 times)

Offline hopturn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Was given a new Zoom H6...need mics/setup ideas PLEASE.
« on: November 01, 2013, 02:29:54 PM »
Hello. Don't want to restate the heading, but I was just given a Zoom H6 and I would like to FINALLY get a live concert recording set-up together. I'm a musician, and I will mostly use the system to record other bands in various sized indoor bars and venues, as well as a few stadium and festival concerts. Occasionally, I would like to use my system to record my own band as well...maybe to use the recordings for free distribution online and other promotional activities.

I'm a bassist and not a doctor, and can't afford $3,000 microphones. But anything between $200 - $1,000 would be great. I'm sure you guys get these kinds of requests often, but I have a new recorder and can't wait to use it. I'm sure the included mics are close to worthless.

Just something simple with a good clean "real" sound...nothing that colors the sound too much would be preferred.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

runonce

Re: Was given a new Zoom H6...need mics/setup ideas PLEASE.
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 03:31:32 PM »
Actually the jury is still out on the included mics - few have run this one yet.

Offline 404 Not Found

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 04:04:15 PM »
I personally did not like the Mic's that come with the Zoom H6, as they are noisy to start with and the volume level on the head of the unit where it attaches can be audibly heard while adjusting due to the close prox of the actual mic. and the volume control. 

I have run both Miktek C5's, Audix M1255 and M1280's on this recorder with decent results, of which during each recording I used the X/Y mic that Zoom provides.  The end result was eliminating the X/Y or L/R channels all together for a clean mix down to 4 channels.  I have just received the capsule to allow for XLR in place of the Zoom mic's and will use that for a board feed possibly this weekend in conjunction to running 4 mic's to accompany the Line feed.

There are plenty of decent mics at budget costs that will give a better recording result than that of the mic's that come with the Zoom. 

I have not purchased the remote control for the Zoom, but perhaps that would eliminate noise that comes while adjusting the Zoom H6mics?
Recorders: Alesis HD24XR | Marantz PMD661 (Oade Warm Mod) | Sound Devices 552 |Zoom F8 | Zoom H6
Pre-Amp/Mic Mixers/PS: Sound Devices 552 | Sound Devices MixPre-D | Shure FP33 | Audix APS911's | Audio Technica AT8501
Mics: Telefunken M60 FET MP/TK62's  | Miktek C5 MP's | Neumann  KM100/AK40's AK43's AK45's | Audix M1255B's | Audix M1280B's | Sennheiser K3-U/ME-20's 40's & 80's | Shure VP88
Stands-Poles: Manfrotto 3361 (8') | Manfrotto 1004BAC (13') | K-Tek KE79CC Traveler Boom Pole (1.8 - 6.7' )| K-Tek KEG150CCR Carbon fiber boom pole (12.6')

LMA: https://archive.org/bookmarks/Adam%20Axel

Team Philly!

***Team Telefunken***

Offline fguidry

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Kaleponi - Slack Key in California
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 04:55:39 PM »
Hello. Don't want to restate the heading, but I was just given a Zoom H6 and I would like to FINALLY get a live concert recording set-up together. I'm a musician, and I will mostly use the system to record other bands in various sized indoor bars and venues, as well as a few stadium and festival concerts. Occasionally, I would like to use my system to record my own band as well...maybe to use the recordings for free distribution online and other promotional activities.

I'm a bassist and not a doctor, and can't afford $3,000 microphones. But anything between $200 - $1,000 would be great. I'm sure you guys get these kinds of requests often, but I have a new recorder and can't wait to use it. I'm sure the included mics are close to worthless.

Just something simple with a good clean "real" sound...nothing that colors the sound too much would be preferred.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.
\

Do at least a couple of shows with the XY module that came with the Zoom. Use some kind of stand to avoid handling noise. If these mics don't clip at the volume you experience you can learn a lot about taping with just that XY setup. Mic placement is hugely more important than the mic.

Fran

Offline hopturn

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 09:50:34 AM »
first of all, thanks for the kind suggestions.

a little update:

i used both the included x/y mic and the ms mic over the weekend, and here's what i've noticed.

gig #1: this was an outdoor bluegrass festival i performed at with about 1,000 people in the audience. i set the recorder on a tripod stand right beside the soundboard and ran a cord from the phones out on the board to tracks one and two on the recorder (the cord splits from one 1/4 to two 1/4 inches). the sound from the board was great, but there was a slight delay between that and the x/y mic (should've expected that, i guess.) the x/y mic did pretty well in comparison, but when i mixed it down in ableton later i ended up going with the board recording.

gig #2: acoustic american traditional recording at an upscaled outdoor event. this was in a wide-open courtyard. for this show i placed the recorder right in front of the band with the MS Side Mic...and i also ran a long cable from the board to the recorder. after dumping them both to ableton i actually went with the MS Mic...very big, present, realistic sounds from the guitar/mandolin/dobro/banjo front line...i just used the board recording to get a little more bass definition in there. i'm very happy with the way it really picked up the nuances of those old vintage instruments used in that project.

1. i think i need a better "long-distance" festival mic. the included x/y was just a little too...i don't know, just too anemic?
2. i think that i would like to try a DAW that's designed more for this type of application...any thoughts?

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 10:48:09 AM »
first of all, thanks for the kind suggestions.

a little update:

i used both the included x/y mic and the ms mic over the weekend, and here's what i've noticed.

1. i think i need a better "long-distance" festival mic. the included x/y was just a little too...i don't know, just too anemic?
2. i think that i would like to try a DAW that's designed more for this type of application...any thoughts?

Good that you got something useful. 

I don't know what pattern the internal mics are (perhaps omnis?).  At a distance I feel one needs something with a cardioid (or super- or hyper-) pattern.  Lots of threads about mic preferences.  There are some reasonable ones that aren't terribly expensive.  It sort of comes down to how you'll use them, the type of mic and your preference in sound signature.  I (and others) think listening to what others have gotten with them in similar settings is a valid means of getting some idea what to expect (others have disagreed with that thought). 

There are many DAW's.  I like Audition (old versions like 3.0).  There's also Audacity which is free but maybe not the best tool.  There are lots of threads here about those. 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline fguidry

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Kaleponi - Slack Key in California
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 08:46:00 PM »
The XY mics on the H6 are cardioid. As are the MS mics, actually, with the side mics consisting of back to back cardioids tied together.

As far as "anemic" pickup, what about turning up the preamp? Sounds silly I guess, but level makes a big difference in how we hear things.

Cardioids at a distance are bass-deficient. Try shelving the bass up.

REAPER is the one true DAW for everything and everyone <grin>.

Fran

Offline hopturn

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 09:47:52 AM »
I will definitely look into "Reaper." I have a performance in front of a large three story aquarium tomorrow evening with the bluegrass band and will try your suggestions. So far though, I've been very impressed with this little recorder. You get a lot out of the package and it's got a MUCH IMPROVED WORKFLOW (comparing it to the Zoom H4N only).

Still looking for that one mic that I can use at outdoor festivals and bigger concerts. I've looked into Church Audio, but I want something that will fit onto a telescoping pole and get a GREAT sound without a lot of post-production tweaking. Something realistic sounding that won't pick up a lot of audience chatter (or me yelling like a redneck).

Any thoughts or recommendations as to where I should begin?

What I've researched so far:
Busman
Church Audio
Scheops - WAY TOO EXPENSIVE...I would just manage to break it somehow.

Offline hopturn

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2013, 07:03:22 PM »
Hello,

I've been doing someresearch on here and it seems like Audio Technica 4041's are a pretty good starting point. Sounds like I could use them for recording my bass guitar cabs too.

Any thoughts?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com