Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Config question for ya  (Read 1589 times)

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Southern Shelter
Config question for ya
« on: April 07, 2004, 10:31:32 AM »
So I'm taping a friend's bands tonight, have no idea what the music is like, other than I hear 'experimental', which could cover lots of different stuff.  So the first band he's playing in will be playing when the doors open, as people are coming in the club.  It's a fairly squarish room (40 Watt Club in Athens if anyone's familiar), and the band (Desk Pu**y, if you were interested) has three people (don't know what instruments, assuming guitars) and each will be playing in one corner of the room.  My friend said it will be "ambient, but creepy, like Dick Clark chasing you" . . . So, running Neumann 184's, I was thinking to run an XY centered on the 'middle' corner, with a wider angle, like 120 or so.  Anybody got any comments on that?

Thanks
Sloan

jpschust

• Trade Count: (0)
Re:Config question for ya
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2004, 12:16:31 PM »
i might consider going to ortf if you are pushed back to the back of the room- if you can be nice and center, then xy.  play around though, you will get some nice results with the 184s

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Southern Shelter
Re:Config question for ya
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2004, 02:20:07 PM »
I left something out, the first band, the one that's playing in three corners of the room, -won't- be coming through the PA, just each instrument/amp will be sounding from its own corner.  But the other bands will be on the stage, playing through the PA as normal (and I need to tape at least one of those bands, 'cause my friend is in two bands, the first and last).  I'll have complete choice in where to set up (the friend who wants me to record his bands is a manager at the venue also  ;D), but I need to setup in a spot that will suit both situations, because once the first band is done, the club will theoretically be full.  

So I was thinking of setting up in my normal FOB spot, which is pretty much the center of this room, and just swiveling the mics toward the 'ambient' band, then when they're done, just rotate the stand around toward the stage . . .

Sloan

« Last Edit: April 07, 2004, 02:20:45 PM by Sloan Simpson »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com