Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Schoeps buying pitfalls  (Read 8546 times)

Offline Duncan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Schoeps buying pitfalls
« on: February 16, 2015, 02:12:19 PM »
Hi Experts

I've got the chance to buy a pair of Schoeps for a good price, What should I be wary of, are there things I can check to minimise the risk

Thanks
Duncan

Also how do you pronounce Schopes :-)
Recording for 39 years and counting, down not up
Schoeps CCM5--SD722
DPA 4061--SD722
AKG CK 61-ULS--Naiant Actives--SD722
DPA 4061 - DPA d:VICE - iPhone 6s+
MixPre6 with some mics

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Schoeps buying pitfalls
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 02:27:27 PM »
Check this thread out: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=100660.msg1340911#msg1340911. Might help with your second question (audio from the man himself, if the link still works)...

Offline Cobiwan

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 02:52:15 PM »
pronounced "Shehps"; the E is pronounced like the word "wet"
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Mics:
2 matched pairs of Oktava MK-012 MSP6 with Bill Sitler mod + cardioid, hyper-cardioid, and omni capsules
Church Audio CA-14 omni/UBB
Sonic Studios DSM-6S
Recorders:
Tascam HD-P2, Tascam DR-680, Zoom F-8
Cables:
Gakables XLR, S/PDIF, battery and umbrella, DigiGal AES > S/PDIF, Darktrain hot swap battery

Member of DiGiHoArDeRs

stevetoney

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 03:15:43 PM »
You don't specify the specific gear, but here are a couple of thoughts to start...

-  Assuming capsules are included in the purchase, you can email Germany to determine whether the capsules have been back for any reason.  That may or may not influence your evaluation of the value of the capsules.

-  If the gear is vintage, meaning it isn't in the current catalog, Schoeps may or may not still service the equipment if it needs repair.  However, in general they service what they sell.

-  In general, a pair of capsules that are sold with matching certificates when they are new cannot be assumed to still be matched if they are used.

-  Nextel grey finish seems to be more popular and have a higher demand, though I personally prefer the nickel finish since IMHO it's less prone to degrade and show age over time. 

Offline Duncan

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 05:21:13 PM »
They are CCM5s described as hardly uses

My main worry is that they are not real Schoeps (I haven't even heard of forgeries) or they are damaged in some way that I can't see

Cheers

Duncan
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 05:23:59 PM by Duncan »
Schoeps CCM5--SD722
DPA 4061--SD722
MixPre6 with some mics

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 06:15:37 PM »
can you try before you buy?  I'd want to assure a) that levels from capsule to capsule are relatively matched, b) that the pattern selection works as advertised and consistently between capsules, and c) that neither mic makes excessive/different noises when cables are being handled.

A "quick and dirty" way to accomplish would be to set up both mics so they are close-recording a speaker in a room -- each close to the other and both pointed @ the speaker.  then record something being played from the speaker.  Then, while recording (and monitoring the recording live with headphones), switch up the capsule settings on each mic and fiddle with the wires a bit -- assuming the mics sound identical and switch between patterns cleanly, this should, at least help confirm that the mics are balanced and not obviously messed up . . ..

Offline Duncan

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 06:23:30 PM »
can you try before you buy?  I'd want to assure a) that levels from capsule to capsule are relatively matched, b) that the pattern selection works as advertised and consistently between capsules, and c) that neither mic makes excessive/different noises when cables are being handled.

A "quick and dirty" way to accomplish would be to set up both mics so they are close-recording a speaker in a room -- each close to the other and both pointed @ the speaker.  then record something being played from the speaker.  Then, while recording (and monitoring the recording live with headphones), switch up the capsule settings on each mic and fiddle with the wires a bit -- assuming the mics sound identical and switch between patterns cleanly, this should, at least help confirm that the mics are balanced and not obviously messed up . . ..

Yes I'm defiantly going to insist on trying them before I hand over any cash and your suggested test sound good

Thanks

Duncan
Schoeps CCM5--SD722
DPA 4061--SD722
MixPre6 with some mics

stevetoney

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 06:46:06 PM »
I can't imagine there's a way for someone to forge a CCM5.  The capsules are switchable, so get your hands on them and do the suggested test and that should convince you.  Good luck!

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 06:51:53 PM »
I have probably bought more Schoeps gear of all vintages then any one else on this site. (Not counting DSatz :))

For CCM's just have the seller provide pictures and serial numbers.  Send the serial numbers to Schoeps to get any repair history, original delivery dates, and to see if they have been flagged as stolen, etc

Chances are you should be ok.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 07:34:13 PM by H₂O »
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline Duncan

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 05:00:37 AM »
Thanks I'll do that
Duncan
Schoeps CCM5--SD722
DPA 4061--SD722
MixPre6 with some mics

Offline Cobiwan

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2015, 01:22:45 AM »
I have probably bought more Schoeps gear of all vintages then any one else on this site. (Not counting DSatz :))

For CCM's just have the seller provide pictures and serial numbers.  Send the serial numbers to Schoeps to get any repair history, original delivery dates, and to see if they have been flagged as stolen, etc

Can you point me to where exactly I email this info to? I poked around the site but wasn't sure where to direct my question.
I am looking to buy a pair of MK41s next month, possibly used, and would like to check the serial numbers of the MK41 lot Justin has at PSS in NY (i'm sure others may have the same inquiry). I'd prefer a new matched pair but would settle for a used matched pair if the history looks good.
Thanks!
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Mics:
2 matched pairs of Oktava MK-012 MSP6 with Bill Sitler mod + cardioid, hyper-cardioid, and omni capsules
Church Audio CA-14 omni/UBB
Sonic Studios DSM-6S
Recorders:
Tascam HD-P2, Tascam DR-680, Zoom F-8
Cables:
Gakables XLR, S/PDIF, battery and umbrella, DigiGal AES > S/PDIF, Darktrain hot swap battery

Member of DiGiHoArDeRs

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2015, 10:58:57 AM »
I have probably bought more Schoeps gear of all vintages then any one else on this site. (Not counting DSatz :) )

Can you point me to where exactly I email this info to? I poked around the site but wasn't sure where to direct my question.
I am looking to buy a pair of MK41s next month, possibly used, and would like to check the serial numbers of the MK41 lot Justin has at PSS in NY (i'm sure others may have the same inquiry). I'd prefer a new matched pair but would settle for a used matched pair if the history looks good.
Thanks!

I think the email is:
service@schoeps.de

As I am at work I do not have it handy - I will check tonight to be sure - DSatz would know off the top of his head I am sure.

But should get a response buy filling out the contact form on Schoeps' website:
http://www.schoeps.de/en/contact_form

Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2015, 12:25:22 PM »
I sent my request to Bernhard Vollmer at Schoeps, who responded promptly.

Bernhard Vollmer
Senior Customer Service & Quality Control
Phone +49-721-9432021
E-mail vollmer@schoeps.de
Mics: akg c460 (ck61, ck63), c414buls, c568eb; at4049a, 4051a, 4053a, at853; josephson c42; neumann U87, km84i; beyer m130, m160, m500; aea r84; gefell m71, mt711s, m200, m201, um70S; sony c38; schoeps cmc6, CMBI (mk4, mk21, mk41, mk4v); sennheiser mkh30, mkh40, md421, md431, md541; audix m1290
Pres: API, a-designs, pendulum, purple, millennia TD-1 and HV-32P, gt, littlebox, tinybox, usbpre2, CA 9200, pipsqueak, grace V2, DAV BG1
Cables: KCY, CMR, Naiant AKG actives, PFAs, asst.  GAKables and Darktrain
Recorders/converters/monitors: dr680, m10, dr-2d, d50, zoom f8 & F8n pro, 788T SSD CL-8, lynx aurora 8, Neumann KH20

Yeah, I'm an attorney, but everyone needs a day job

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2015, 01:00:32 PM »
One pitfall for me was I can't stop buying schoeps gear!!  The wife loves that
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

stevetoney

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2015, 02:41:45 PM »
One pitfall for me was I can't stop buying schoeps gear!!  The wife loves that

Cool, at least you know why she loves you.  ;)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com