Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Schoeps buying pitfalls  (Read 8545 times)

Offline connloyalist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Schoeps buying pitfalls
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2015, 10:33:42 AM »
pronounced "Shehps"; the E is pronounced like the word "wet"

Not picking nits here, just filling in some linguistic details for anyone interested.

In English yes, that is the accepted pronunciation. In German, no.

In German when you see either the letter a, o or u followed by the letter e then that "e" is a subsitute for the a, o or u with an umlaut (ä, ö or ü). So "Schoeps" is the same as "Schöps". The pronunciation in English rimes with "cups", so the way the Germans (should) pronounce it sounds like "Shups" in English. Strictly speaking :)

Regards, Christine

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2015, 11:34:05 AM »
So another potential pitfall of buying Schoeps is when one does not correctly pronounce the name and suffers countless embarrassing situations when asked, "what kind of mics are you running?"

Offline Bruce Watson

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2015, 11:46:54 AM »
One pitfall for me was I can't stop buying schoeps gear!!

Yep. The Schoeps addition is painful, yet strangely satisfying.

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2015, 06:30:21 PM »
Christine is certainly right about "oe" being a respelling of "ö"--but I disagree strongly that "Schoeps" should ever rhyme with "cups," unless it's in a regional accent that I'm unfamiliar with. When people say something that sounds like "shepps" it isn't quite correct, but it's probably the closest you can get in standard American English.

I think this was covered in a thread a few years back, in which I posted a brief sound file of the late Dr. Schoeps saying his own last name. Someone else in that same thread, if I remember correctly, posted a nice explanation about how to form the proper sound from an American English perspective.

Back to the main topic, though: The main thing is that the CCM 5 is a current product, and the company has no problem servicing them and keeping them up to spec. Also, the fact that the CCM 5 (or its counterpart, the MK 5 capsule) has two patterns with mechanical switching doesn't make it more delicate or vulnerable, or likely to need service in a given set of field conditions, than the company's single-pattern capsules.

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2015, 08:47:43 AM »
Christine is certainly right about "oe" being a respelling of "ö"--but I disagree strongly that "Schoeps" should ever rhyme with "cups," unless it's in a regional accent that I'm unfamiliar with. When people say something that sounds like "shepps" it isn't quite correct, but it's probably the closest you can get in standard American English.

But everything is mispronounced in American English.  ;D   ;)

I think the closest pronunciation in English is:- Sherps

Not quite right, but I think the closest - the "oe" or "ö", as I understand it, is trying to pronounce an "o" and "e" at the same time.

Offline pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2015, 05:34:04 PM »

But everything is mispronounced in American English.  ;D   ;)

I think the closest pronunciation in English is:- Sherps

Not quite right, but I think the closest - the "oe" or "ö", as I understand it, is trying to pronounce an "o" and "e" at the same time.

That's what my English brother-in-law keeps telling me.  I have been corrected about the proper pronunciation of "scone" any number of times.  Clearly we in the colonies have some linguistic deficiencies.
Mics: akg c460 (ck61, ck63), c414buls, c568eb; at4049a, 4051a, 4053a, at853; josephson c42; neumann U87, km84i; beyer m130, m160, m500; aea r84; gefell m71, mt711s, m200, m201, um70S; sony c38; schoeps cmc6, CMBI (mk4, mk21, mk41, mk4v); sennheiser mkh30, mkh40, md421, md431, md541; audix m1290
Pres: API, a-designs, pendulum, purple, millennia TD-1 and HV-32P, gt, littlebox, tinybox, usbpre2, CA 9200, pipsqueak, grace V2, DAV BG1
Cables: KCY, CMR, Naiant AKG actives, PFAs, asst.  GAKables and Darktrain
Recorders/converters/monitors: dr680, m10, dr-2d, d50, zoom f8 & F8n pro, 788T SSD CL-8, lynx aurora 8, Neumann KH20

Yeah, I'm an attorney, but everyone needs a day job

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2015, 09:35:13 AM »
I think it would be a great idea if two or three of the more experienced Schoeps tapers were to put together a practical guide in the TS Knowledge base.

This would detail what cap options are out there, interconnects, preamps, bars for stands etc, and the relative benefits of each.

I realise some of this will be subjective (ie some of you prefer MK4s to MK41 and vice versa).

This would be of enormous help to those of us thinking of making the step up at some point in the future.

Cheers,

Humbug

UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2015, 09:40:02 AM »
Maybe include rough costs of new and second hand gear, and if course a few photos.

Would probably reduce the number of questions on here too.

Way too many options to make a sensible guess at what for most of us will be the biggest investment in our hobby.
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2015, 10:53:51 AM »
I think it would be a great idea if two or three of the more experienced Schoeps tapers were to put together a practical guide in the TS Knowledge base.

This would detail what cap options are out there, interconnects, preamps, bars for stands etc, and the relative benefits of each.

I realise some of this will be subjective (ie some of you prefer MK4s to MK41 and vice versa).

This would be of enormous help to those of us thinking of making the step up at some point in the future.

The myriad "active" powering options are the part I just don't really get (but would like to have available).  The Schoeps site itself it very good for going over the capsules and patterns (maybe not the subjective aspects but those aren't much different than any other discussion of preferences here). 

if you're running them standard phantom there's little mystery to it. 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline jefflester

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2015, 11:39:21 AM »
DPA4061 HEB -> R-09 / AT943 -> CA-UGLY -> R-09
AKG CK63 -> nBob actives -> Baby NBox -> R-09/DR2d
AKG CK63 -> AKG C460B -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII
Line Audio CM4/Superlux S502/Samson C02/iSK Little Gem/Sennheiser E609/Shure SM57 -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII (multitracked band recordings)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com