Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: To go Miniature or not?????  (Read 6139 times)

Offline rowjimmytour

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My LMA bookmarks
To go Miniature or not?????
« on: April 23, 2004, 10:51:02 PM »
I would like to run my JB3 out of a AD-20 and some form of mics that would be some what portable but not stealth(sometimes no mic stand ). I go to shows that allow tapin' and don't need to go undercover but I would like to go FOB for shows like Keller Williams, String cheese incident, etc. I want a mic that could pick up the accoustics of the hall or mabey a outside show that won't cost a arm and leg ($250-$200 new or used whatever is a better value). Please give me advise on brands and models. I just got a DPA catalog any good or not?
Peace
http://www.archive.org/bookmarNo
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
Re:To go Miniature or not?????
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2004, 03:24:14 PM »
DPA's are great mics but not cheap at all.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2004, 03:31:11 PM »
for the parameters provided, I recommend Sound Professional SP-CMC-2 cardiods and a battery box

Offline Chanher

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2004, 05:36:08 PM »
does anyone know how much the stock at853's (no mini-plug mod) usually run? that would be a nice option.
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2004, 06:21:48 PM »
$150-160 each I think

Offline rowjimmytour

• My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2004, 12:03:19 AM »
Thanks for all the help, but I still have two ?'s. Does plugin' SP-CMC-2 w/ battery box mini plug (1/8) w/ XLR duel adapter into a AD-20 degrade the sound at all. Also would it be worth upgradin' to the SP-CMC-4 or even the SP-CMC-8 or could I spend my hard scratch else where. Whoops I forgot to ask about a possible upgrade with the cable if the adapter degraded the sound. How much? and is it possible to do the upgrade myself.
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2004, 12:10:31 AM »
One, I don't think the 4s or 8s are worth it unless you plan to mod them with the samson or audio technica adapters.  Two, degrade the sound compared to what other option?

what upgrade do you speak of?  The power adapter module upgrade?
I am gonna do this mod shortly, but I wanna get the AT adapters instead of the samson adapters.  leegeddy gave me the phone number where I can get them, but they are significatly more than the Samson brand.

Offline rowjimmytour

• My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2004, 12:37:47 AM »
I just meant upgradin' to a more expensive mic ie: SP-CMC-4 or even the SP-CMC-8. I just was wonderin' if the 1/8>duel XLR adapter degrades the sound compared to havin' a straight XLR plug. Also one more ? Is bass roll worth it?
Peace
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2004, 01:13:04 AM »
running a battery box over phantom power will degrade the sound.  The 1/8" > xlr adapter won' t be the object that lowers the quality.

For $20, the bass roll-off just might save your ass and it's not a bad investment.

Offline peterbilt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2004, 07:14:30 PM »
One, I don't think the 4s or 8s are worth it unless you plan to mod them with the samson or audio technica adapters.  Two, degrade the sound compared to what other option?

I am gonna do this mod shortly, but I wanna get the AT adapters instead of the samson adapters.  leegeddy gave me the phone number where I can get them, but they are significatly more than the Samson brand.

Do you have a product number for this adapter you speak of? I'm planning the same mod to my SP's and am looking into as many options as I can.

Offline Chanher

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2004, 07:24:13 PM »
running a battery box over phantom power will degrade the sound.  The 1/8" > xlr adapter won' t be the object that lowers the quality.

For $20, the bass roll-off just might save your ass and it's not a bad investment.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the mini-plug termination doesn't degrade the sound, it simply allows only ~9v of power to the mics.  XLR's are the only(I think) connection that allows 48v of power.  The mics capabilities are fully realized when they recieve full 48v, allowing higher spl handlage.

And Schwill is correct, bass roll off is a good investment.
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2004, 10:09:28 PM »

does this hold true for the DPA 4060 mics, too..?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the mini-plug termination doesn't degrade the sound, it simply allows only ~9v of power to the mics.  XLR's are the only(I think) connection that allows 48v of power.  The mics capabilities are fully realized when they recieve full 48v, allowing higher spl handlage.

-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline joemango

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2004, 01:31:21 PM »
ACK!!!!!

if you're gonna use phantom with the 853's, YOU NEED THE PHANTOM ADAPTER FROM AUDIO-TECHNICA!!!!!!

Simply running 48v phantom through those mics without an adapter will BLOW them.  I've done it.

Use the battery box or get the Phantom adapters.  PERIOD.

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2004, 01:53:01 PM »

Do you have a product number for this adapter you speak of? I'm planning the same mod to my SP's and am looking into as many options as I can.

Yes, you can get the AT8533 from audio technica, or the Samson PM-4 from Sound Pro.  The Samson's are half the price, but I'm going with the ATs anyway.  PM me if you want the AT phone number

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2004, 01:54:19 PM »

yer not wrong, and I wasn't saying otherwise :)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com