Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: To go Miniature or not?????  (Read 6142 times)

Offline mattb

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Yo.
    • Matt's Page
Re:To go Miniature or not?????
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2004, 11:11:07 PM »
I've just recently done the phantom mod to the SP-CMC-8s, but haven't had a chance to really use them in the field yet. I went with the Samson adaptors and figured I won't miss the roll-off. I never used it in my BB with cards or hypers recording stuff like MMW, The Motet, Garag Mahal, and even Voodoo Brown. Maybe hypers would end up needing it, but my most bass-heavy show (a '98 MMW) will only overload my crappy car stereo, but sounds great (fat) on a good stereo.
I'm looking forward to really getting out with them!
(and nice avi, Schwilly!)
AT933s (C/H/O) > AT8531s > UA-5 > H120 (Rockboxed)

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2004, 11:16:13 PM »
running a battery box over phantom power will degrade the sound.  The 1/8" > xlr adapter won' t be the object that lowers the quality.

For $20, the bass roll-off just might save your ass and it's not a bad investment.
does this hold true for the DPA 4060 mics, too..?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the mini-plug termination doesn't degrade the sound, it simply allows only ~9v of power to the mics.  XLR's are the only(I think) connection that allows 48v of power.  The mics capabilities are fully realized when they recieve full 48v, allowing higher spl handlage.

And Schwill is correct, bass roll off is a good investment.

dont know what happened to my previous post...

is this something I would want to consider with the my DPA 4060s..?

TIA
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline Chanher

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2004, 12:12:29 AM »
ACK!!!!!

if you're gonna use phantom with the 853's, YOU NEED THE PHANTOM ADAPTER FROM AUDIO-TECHNICA!!!!!!

Simply running 48v phantom through those mics without an adapter will BLOW them.  I've done it.

Use the battery box or get the Phantom adapters.  PERIOD.

thank you very much for adding that.  :)  wouldn't want any disasters now...
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2004, 01:16:29 AM »
I've just recently done the phantom mod to the SP-CMC-8s, but haven't had a chance to really use them in the field yet. I went with the Samson adaptors and figured I won't miss the roll-off. I never used it in my BB with cards or hypers recording stuff like MMW, The Motet, Garag Mahal, and even Voodoo Brown. Maybe hypers would end up needing it, but my most bass-heavy show (a '98 MMW) will only overload my crappy car stereo, but sounds great (fat) on a good stereo.
I'm looking forward to really getting out with them!
(and nice avi, Schwilly!)

interesting, I may yet go with the samson's too.  Haven't decided.  If they work well, and I never used the bass rolloff with my borrowed pair, then why do I need the AT brand?  And if I do need roll-off I have it on the mp-2.  That'll save me $60+

also, for this operation I need 2 male mini-xlrs and 2 female mini-xlrs, as well as a male 1/8" plug, correct?

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • god-damned hippies!
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2004, 11:27:38 PM »
running a battery box over phantom power will degrade the sound.  The 1/8" > xlr adapter won' t be the object that lowers the quality.

For $20, the bass roll-off just might save your ass and it's not a bad investment.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the mini-plug termination doesn't degrade the sound, it simply allows only ~9v of power to the mics.  XLR's are the only(I think) connection that allows 48v of power.  The mics capabilities are fully realized when they recieve full 48v, allowing higher spl handlage.

TIA

nope. 9v is plenty. 48v will not improve their performance.

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2004, 11:54:03 PM »

TIA

thanks for the info...

I currently run dpa 4060 > miniplug (which also branches off to the batt. box) > dual female adapter > male miniplug -> RCA male

is there anyway to upgrade that chain? or is that as good as I can get?
-macdaddy ++

Offline Zaphod

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2004, 12:10:05 AM »
Just try and minimize your connections by getting a female 1/8">RCA male cable. Would that work for you?
we are the people the rescuers will never find

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2004, 12:38:36 PM »

TIA

thanks for the info...

I currently run dpa 4060 > miniplug (which also branches off to the batt. box) > dual female adapter > male miniplug -> RCA male

i thought the "HEBs" terminated in a 4-pin mini xlr. the battery box has a male stereo mini out, right? just get an adapter (or cable if it's not long enough) female mini > 2 male RCA.

Offline AT853rxwh

• Taperssection Member
  • You wanna stick those white mics where?
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2004, 09:50:13 PM »
Schwill, did you see that I found the Samson's for $25 ea?

Check the 853 unmod thread...
"Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

Offline georgedk

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2004, 10:07:50 PM »
if one goes miniature then one should go dpa.  there's an individual interested in selling his pair of dpas on the microphone section under the heading dpa miniatures.

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2004, 10:07:52 PM »

TIA

thanks for the info...

i thought the "HEBs" terminated in a 4-pin mini xlr. the battery box has a male stereo mini out, right? just get an adapter (or cable if it's not long enough) female mini > 2 male RCA.

that's what I am using now, but I was wondering if there is a way to improve the cable quality, and do RCAout cables (instead of the current male miniplug)...

plus I hear people claiming that a dedicated pre w/phantom power is better than the batt.  box and no pre (which is what I do now), so I was considering ways to do this...

do the wires disconnect from the back of the mics?

-macdaddy ++

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2004, 12:31:02 PM »

that's what I am using now, but I was wondering if there is a way to improve the cable quality, and do RCAout cables (instead of the current male miniplug)...

there is a way, of course, but i doubt you'd hear much of a difference anyway. yeah, i guess you could, but i'd prefer using a good adapter than eliminating the possibility to run straight to my deck or any other 1/8" input, instead making the power supply dedicated to the sbm-1.

plus I hear people claiming that a dedicated pre w/phantom power is better than the batt.  box and no pre (which is what I do now), so I was considering ways to do this...

huh? where? you should probably listen to tapes before you make that decision. are they claiming that for the 406xs or lower end mics in general?
it wouldn't necesarily be "better." in fact, i think it would probably suck more, depending on what kind of sound you want. a preamp is unnecessary with the 406xs anyway, as you know.

dear god, no!!!
i understand your desire to get the most out of your rig, but you're tryin' to fix something that ain't broke.
i have a friend who's going through the same thing right now with another friend... just tape more, educate yourself, and be happy with what you have. it works and it won't get much better.

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2004, 12:33:58 PM »

no, that's not quite what you're using now. you have a 1/8" female barrel adapter to allow the male 1/8" - 2 RCA into your chain. replace the male 1/8" - 2 RCA cable with a female 1/8" - 2 RCA cable and you'll down on the adapters.

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2004, 06:08:51 PM »

there is a way, of course, but i doubt you'd hear much of a difference anyway. yeah, i guess you could, but i'd prefer using a good adapter than eliminating the possibility to run straight to my deck or any other 1/8" input, instead making the power supply dedicated to the sbm-1.

huh? where? you should probably listen to tapes before you make that decision. are they claiming that for the 406xs or lower end mics in general?
it wouldn't necesarily be "better." in fact, i think it would probably suck more, depending on what kind of sound you want. a preamp is unnecessary with the 406xs anyway, as you know.

dear god, no!!!
i understand your desire to get the most out of your rig, but you're tryin' to fix something that ain't broke.
i have a friend who's going through the same thing right now with another friend... just tape more, educate yourself, and be happy with what you have. it works and it won't get much better.

that is what  I kind of thought, but I figured, I would ask while the conversation was going...

I figure that, with the oade-mod SBM-1, I am proably as good as I can get with the 4060s until I step up to something that records at a higher resolution than a DAT machine...

no, that's not quite what you're using now. you have a 1/8" female barrel adapter to allow the male 1/8" - 2 RCA into your chain. replace the male 1/8" - 2 RCA cable with a female 1/8" - 2 RCA cable and you'll down on the adapters.

yes you are correct, but I don't really think switching the barrel adapter out for an all-in-one cable will yeild an audible difference, but it might be worth a try to do as a cable project sometime...

thanks for all of the input.
-macdaddy ++

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.129 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com